Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Portable Car Lift and Engine Drop ?

I am looking at buying a lift for my car in order to do more work on it. As expected there are a few on craigslist but since I am just starting to get into working on my car I am still a little of a newbie.
Never having removed my engine before, how much clearance would I need from a lift in order to do it?
There are a couple of portable lifts for sale but they only lift the car 30 inches, which doesn't seem like it would be enough to get the engine out. Would it be enough or do I need a larger lift?
87 930 Super Cup (964) Cams , Andial K27 7200 Turbo, Andial Intercooler, Twin Plug, Andial Fuel Enrichment System, Carillo Rods, Mahle Pistons, Raceware head studs, Adjustable Turbo, Ruf Wheels, plus much more...
Old 02-20-2010, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

30" probably wouldn't do it unless you remove the rear bumper. Even that might be tight.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
MEMBER # 930

Make sure you use top quality jack stands !!!!! I take more time to be safe when the car is up high wooden blocks and the tires and wheels under the pan. Be safe
Old 02-20-2010, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I'm with Rocket. You would have to remove the rear bumper to make enough clearance. I'm seem to recall I needed 37-37 1/2" clearance from bottom of rear bumper to remove the engine, rear valance removed, engine on a 4" resting platform.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

30" might be enough, provided the rear valence is removed. A lot of it depends on what you intend to use to lower the engine to the floor and how far down you're able to drop the engine. I used my motorcyle lift whcih enabled me to drop the engine to within maybe 10 inches of the floor, and used a transmission jack beneath each rear wheel to jack the car up 24 inches...with the front end jacked up about 1 foot at the wheels with blocks. Because of the angle, that affectely raised the far rear lip of the car just barely enough.
Note: there are much better, more stable and safer means than I used....but I used what I had. For anyone contemplating using transmission jacks under the rear wheels, keep in mind that you must first lower the engine somewhat with your jack because the combined car and engine weight is way past the capacity of the tranny jacks.

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have actually found a 48" scissor lift that I might go for. Made by greg smith equipment. I read about a group of 4-5 corvette owners that bought a group of these in bulk for under 1K each. Normally they are about $1400. Was thinking about posting to see if I could get a pelican group interested in a bulk deal. Wanted to check on Pelican's site first to make sure I didn't step on any toes though.
87 930 Super Cup (964) Cams , Andial K27 7200 Turbo, Andial Intercooler, Twin Plug, Andial Fuel Enrichment System, Carillo Rods, Mahle Pistons, Raceware head studs, Adjustable Turbo, Ruf Wheels, plus much more...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Eye of the Toiger

Garage
I droped my engine on the weekend, get the car up about 30" and drop the motor on a 4 wheel jack. as it seperates from the tranny it will give you enough room to pull it out and tip it forward and you should clear without having to remove the bumper. But if you need too it is not that much extra work.

I used some crappy stands and then placing blocks underneath one side at a time and the car was a little wobbly, invest is some decent stands that will give you stability and height.

1973 911 RSR clone powered by 77 3.0 turbo
Old 02-22-2010, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: