Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Smog Equipment

Looking to move my 930 from Chicago out to San Francsico. Like most non-california built up cars, all the original smog equipment is long gone. Can anyone point me in the direction of some sort of summary of the stock equipment that I need to locate and re-install onto the car?

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Rob,

California smog checks require you to go to a test station at least every two years (every year if you have been flagged as a "gross polluter") You must pass a visual exam that the tech will conduct. The tech will look for factory installed smog equiment such as, factory heat exchangers, catalytic converter and muffler, functioning smog pump, EGR valve if installed, non- venting gas cap and gas vapor recirculation. This is what comes to mind as I have observerved a tech. (My car does not have a catalytic converter and the factory door label states that) Then there is the dyno check... CO is check along with timing. All of this done at idle and under load. Personally, I would hook up with a shop that knows the ins and outs of running 930's thru the smog process. Leaning out the mixture may not be enough for you the get thru.... Good Luck
1977 930 (recently sold)
1976 911S , 1973 1/2 911T, 1972 911E (long gone)
Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The visual issue is really what I am concerned about. I'm running a non-stock muffler, headers and all the original smog equipment is gone. I'm confident I can get it to run clean enough to pass the sniffer once all that is done. Think they will object to the Kokeln IC?
Old 02-22-2010, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
SAIGON 68

Garage
you should sell the car

you should sell the car. unless you just won the lottery. my 1978 930 passes california smog easily. it also runs strong and hard. this costs a lot of money. plus, your chances of finding the right mechanic are minute. having said that, there is some really good 930 smog stuff on ebay today. better jump on it.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I'd find a way to keep it registered in IL or some other state.. CA if totally *****ed. A totaly PIA to do all that stuff,we're talking about re-installing the pump and all the associated plumbing. Oh and yes the IC will be an issue is my understanding
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure that the intercooler is the real issue since it came from the factory with one. I am running one on my '77 and it nevers seemes to be an issue. A savy tech might pick it off, but again he may not. Missing smog equipment is a whole different ball game. I can only tell you of my experrince of having to source out a smog pump, and all the hardware to pass the visual...it got real expensive really fast and that was 7 years ago, I still have the smog pump connected and running. Dont under-estimate how lean the cars have to run to pass. Without a cat, it might be really difficult.
1977 930 (recently sold)
Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Heres a good start.....

Porsche 911/930 Turbo, Factory Air Injection System : eBay Motors (item 180472054347 end time Feb-27-10 13:35:55 PST)
1977 930 (recently sold)
Old 02-22-2010, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'd be all over that eBay above like a bad rash! It's just what you need except a stock muffler/cat. And that might be borrowed for the test.

Why would he need the stock heat exchangers? They provide no smog advantage and I know others who have aftermarket HEs but use a stock muffler/cat for smog test in CA.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Good catch on the ebay auction... thanks!

I knew it would be really expensive to get this done. Way too much into the car to sell, particularly in this market. Alternatives are to keep it registered in IL where I have a condo that I rent out which may not be that bad given it would really jsut get driven to and from the track. Alternatively it becomes 100% off road and I put the money I would otherwise spend to get it legal on an aluminum trailer.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I don't know how close they look, but you could install most of the smog stuff and leave the pump belt off maybe? Just give it the apearance of it being smogged...
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
With all that is out there on line , I wouldn't hesitate to accumulate the necessary hardware to bring the car up to CA standards. If you can do the work yourself, then you' ll save a bundle.

Here's another item needed.....you're almost there.

85 Porsche 911 Tubo Exhaust / 930 : eBay Motors (item 180471710416 end time Feb-26-10 19:00:00 PST)
1977 930 (recently sold)
Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
You can do as I have been doing... Throw on a cat, lean her out, and find a smog shop that doesnt care about visuals... Fingers crossed, as I am due again come March.
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Maybe I'll need to head up to folsom!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
As you've gathered, there are two components to passing smog: visual and sniffer.

The visual test is just that: the tech looks at the car to see if all the stock/OEM stuff that came with the car is still there and hooked up/functioning. It's not a matter of what non-stock items contribute to exhaust pollutants. It's a matter of what LOOKS stock. So, somehow a shiny aftermarket performance muffler will send up red flags, but some econo model from Midas won't. How closely a tech scrutinizes this stuff is up to the talent of the tech. Some techs will just say: hey, if anyone asks, this stuff wasn't here when you brought it in . Others will be sticklers. Some techs have absolutely no idea what they're looking at/for. Luck of the draw, unless you ask around and find a shop that's friendly to old, hot-rodded Porsches.

Sniffer test is fairly similar to what you find in other states. The dyno is hooked up to some master DMV computer, so it's hard to fudge this part of it. It tests the car at idle and at load. The dyno rollers have some sort of scale built in, so you can't just hook up a totally different car to the thing and run it, instead. Supposedly the DMV does random, undercover checks on smog shops to try to keep them honest.

Different shops charge different amounts--there's no standardized fee. Some smog testers offer to do smog repairs (conflict of interest?), others don't.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
passing ca. smog

Regarding the Kokelyn...as long as, "all of the required emission controls are connected and functioning", any intercooler for a gasoline engine is acceptable. The smog tech can allow it as passing the visual test.

Quicksilver's advice is very good. For sure...have the cat on to pass the visual and to help you pass the sniff test. Most techs can't tell the stock heat exchangers from headers, especially if the headers have heat and the exhaust system looks used and dirty. Chrome, flashy header pipes are too noticeable as being different and the tech may object. Some techs will be more focused on oxygen sensors. If your headers don't have the sensor plugged into the piping, he'll fail you for having a non-OEM exhaust and a modified oxygen sensor circuit. If you have the O2 sensor in the proper location in the header, he may assume that the headers are OEM.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

This whole topic is pure unadulterated lunacy. Emmissions testing was designed to assure that vehicles don't cause problems with the air we breathe. Who gives a rat's-ass if the vehicle is stock or not, provided it meets the clean air standards. Now introduce individual tech-head bias, a greased palm or two, and what does that say about the whole intent of the program? It's spelled c-o-r-r-u-p-t.

Thank God I no longer live in a huge metropolis. In small town USA, we're free to polute the $hit out of the air. For us, it's ok to threaten the environment.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
This whole topic is pure unadulterated lunacy.
Agreed. To top it off, while there's a visual test to make sure your engine compartment looks stock, there's no inspection regarding other true safety items on a vehicle such as the condition of the tires, presence of working head and brake lights, actual brakes, amount of bondo and coathangers holding onto assorted fenders and body parts, etc. As long as the engine compartment looks stock and it passes the sniffer, you're good to go.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
This whole topic is pure unadulterated lunacy. Emmissions testing was designed to assure that vehicles don't cause problems with the air we breathe. Who gives a rat's-ass if the vehicle is stock or not, provided it meets the clean air standards. Now introduce individual tech-head bias, a greased palm or two, and what does that say about the whole intent of the program? It's spelled c-o-r-r-u-p-t.
That is exactly why the State of Florida had enough sense to drop emission testing around 10 years ago... that and most people drive newer cars down here and they were all passing so even the state felt it looked like a scam and dropped it.

Florida is car and gun friendly, two of the good things about life here.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Obama and his gang will fix that for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
That is exactly why the State of Florida had enough sense to drop emission testing around 10 years ago... that and most people drive newer cars down here and they were all passing so even the state felt it looked like a scam and dropped it.

Florida is car and gun friendly, two of the good things about life here.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Obama and his gang will fix that for you...
O god, now it's gonna be moved to PARF!! Oh wait we've got a brit for a monitor, never mind LOL!!
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: