Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Here's the latest pic I have (it's not as pretty with wires and hoses everywhere ):

Here's how I laid out the M600 wiring although I don't have about 1/4 of the stuff actually wired like the wheel sensors and cockpit switches:

Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Looks very nice. Did you make your own billet brackets?
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 08-30-2010, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
The silicone insulated wires that I used don't crack with heat & cold cycles and I have the harness made from it in my turbocharged 924 for 4 years, no hardening of the wires, nothing. Withstands contact with exhaust without melting etc.

There is always numerous ways of doing things but 1200 for harness materials is clearly overkill for a hobby racecar. There is just no point in claiming the most expensive way is the only way. Question is: what is the goal? And follow the requirements to achieve it, be it with your wallet or your brain (or both).
Old 08-30-2010, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
Looks very nice. Did you make your own billet brackets?
Yes. I'm not a machinist (well maybe an amateur machinist), but I work in a machine shop so I have access to the machines.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If you're really good at wiring you could do it yourself. I'm above average at wiring, I built the harness myself, and I wish I paid Motec to build it.

I spent about $1200 in material to build the harness for my M600. I checked, double checked, and triple checked and I still made a couple of mistakes. I could have saved myself a lot of heart burn by shelling out the extra money for them to build it.

I put a bulk head connector at the fire wall to make pulling the engine easier. Even though I used very good DT gold plated connectors, I wonder if it doesn't add unnecessary risk for a bad connection.

I have a lot of aviation avionics installs, do you think that will qualify?

Thanks for the input,
Dave

3 Things To Live By - You can't be Too Rich, Too Thin, or have Too Much Horsepower!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb930 View Post
I have a lot of aviation avionics installs, do you think that will qualify?

Thanks for the input,
Dave
You'll probably do much better than I did

My biggest issue was ground wire connections in the harness. I crimped them together using standard unisulated butt connectors and heat shrunk them. For some reason I got a few bad readings when checking the harness and had to open it back up and fiddle with the connections. I don't know what I would do different, but hopefully a good wiring guy would do better.

If I did it again I would use better heat shrink tubing. I used pretty good stuff, but I'd spring for Aero quality stuff next time. Especially since there are good Tee's and other shape shrink tubing from Aero suppliers.

I was glad I used good DTM connectors even though they're more expensive and require a $300 crimping tool, they are a much more positive connection than Weatherpack or others.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

what? me worry?

I use "expandable mesh sleeving" for the bulk of the harnesses I make, only using heat shrink at the terminus of each circuit...

Sleeving

And Weatherpac connectors.. mil spec connectors are cool.. and better than the Weatherpac if a customer wants mil spec thats what we build... If he want to get a harness that works just as well and costs much less than the mil spec... Weatherpac..

I can't find pics of the whole harness I built for my car, but here is the expandable sleeving, and the bulkhead connector

Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 08-30-2010, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Tim- you use Ballenger Motorsport?
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 08-30-2010, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
what? me worry?

We probably buy from the people that supply Ballenger

Had not seen that site before

Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 08-30-2010, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: