Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

EFI guys please stand up...

So.... I am on the verge of starting to wire up my Haltech that I mentioned a while back and I am now thinking about triggers. Currently I have an Accel dual sync distributor (includes cam and crank...), but am having a hard time figuring out how to configure it within the Haltech and neither Haltech or Accel want to give me a solid answer about how to set it up. So now I need to set up a hall effect crank signal and an hall effect cam trigger. The crank trigger I pretty much got figured out- My real question is:
What are the distributorless guys running for a cam sync/signal? I have already seen the clewett offerings and neither are very viable for me (although they are cool...)

2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Drive it like u stole it.

Garage
I was planning on using the clewitt Turbo scavange pump with the can trigger. I need to upgrade the pump anyway to accommodate two turbos.
77 Euro 911 3.0 Wide Body - under construction
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rennsport/collections/72157618856489537/
Old 02-24-2010, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I like that idea and I like the product, but the wallet wont stand for it...
And now that I think about it- anyone using a hall effect crank trigger please post a pic...
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette

Last edited by 930gt-40r; 02-24-2010 at 02:25 PM..
Old 02-24-2010, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
I like that idea and I like the product, but the wallet wont stand for it...
And now that I think about it- anyone using a hall effect crank trigger please post a pic...
I think DonE posted a pic just a couple of weeks ago when a discussion was on Bell IC's.

Found the pic.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Why aren't the Clewett solutions viable? The part I use works well and is inexpensive. However, I could not use the GM mag sensor and had the mount machined to accept a Honeywell hall sensor.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Here's a pic of the original part with the GM sensor installed.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Don- my problem is that I need the oil pump, so I can't locate it on the driver's side- and I cannot afford the billet aluminum pump with the intgrated trigger deal that clewett offers. Now I could do what you did with using the passenger side camshaft and the affordable clewett mount, but I would then need to machine the cam and that would equate to having to pull the cam out.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-24-2010, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I don't have an air pump so I replaced the pulley with an aluminum spacer. I drilled and tapped the spacer for a magnet, then drilled a hole in the pulley housing for the sensor.

Last edited by David; 02-24-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930gt-40r View Post
So.... I am on the verge of starting to wire up my Haltech that I mentioned a while back and I am now thinking about triggers. Currently I have an Accel dual sync distributor (includes cam and crank...), but am having a hard time figuring out how to configure it within the Haltech and neither Haltech or Accel want to give me a solid answer about how to set it up. So now I need to set up a hall effect crank signal and an hall effect cam trigger. The crank trigger I pretty much got figured out- My real question is:
What are the distributorless guys running for a cam sync/signal? I have already seen the clewett offerings and neither are very viable for me (although they are cool...)
I think if neither vendor will help you configure your stuff then I would sell their stuff and get some stuff that has support. I have megasquirt and there was definately no shortage of knowledgable people willing to help with any issue I had. The only one that did have an issue was the guy that sold the unit to me but I can understand that cause I got rid of his firmware and software right off the bat and went a different direction now my unit is configured for turbo application and is controlling a EDIS ignition. Considering the amount of money you had to have spent on your equipment they both should be trying to help you. The first thing to go south in a failing company is customer service I imagine that this economy is hurting their bottom line. As for my signal it only required a crank signal on a 36-1 crank wheel Good luck

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

The dual-sync should be the cheapest way to go, since you have it already. It is a Hall Effect for both cam and crank. It will work with Haltech. The wiring diagram for the distributor is here:

http://www.accel-dfi.com/pdf/Dual_Sync_wiring.pdf

If you need more help, just post the Haltech model that you are using and I will take you the rest of the way.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thank all you guys!
David- I like your idea, can you give me some insight as to what kind of magnets you used (rare earth I assume) but how did you thread the magnets in there? Or is it simply a nut threaded to the stud and no magnet?
Gsmith- is that a traditional clewett mount or did you make that yourself or did you have it custom made?

I have decided that If I am going to do this I will use twin MoTec 8v sensors like David seems to have in his pump housing- one for cam one for crank. I am thinking for the crank trigger mount I will use a clewett mount and maybe thread it for the motec style
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post
I don't have an air pump so I replaced the pulley with an aluminum spacer. I drilled and tapped the spacer for a magnet, then drilled a hole in the pulley housing for the sensor.

Ingenious, Dave.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Speedy Squirl- thank you too for that diagram- The wiring is not the part that scares me, it is setting it up with the Haltec in the computer. I have a platinum sport 2000 and when searching through the trigger drop down menu, it doesnt give me any option that comes close to the trigger style of the dual sync. The dual sync has a 6 relucter crank trigger and the cam is the traditional 1 window home. I am at a loss as how to program it and thats what has me thinking about changing it out.
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

2008 C6/Z51 Corvette

Last edited by 930gt-40r; 02-24-2010 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: posted twice
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
delete
Old 02-24-2010, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Kudos to speedy squirrel that is what the vendor should have done. That is actually from going super fast but I would go to clewitt which is were I should have gone the GSF stuff is not what I would call top notch but it was serviceable because the megatune software allows alot of adjustment. Do you pull your crank trigger off the flywheel or the pulley? My setup is not high tech but seems to get the job done the megasquirt with EDIS gives me 15 deg. retard under boost and is real easy to program.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Drive it like u stole it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 125shifter View Post

This was my initial plan a few years ago before my project stalled. Since then I have gone twin turbo and need to upgrade the pump anyway so the Clewitt pump with trigger makes the most sense. It will be among my project leftover sell off when my car is up and running. I did make a custom aluminum crank pulley with a mount for the Motec mag sensor. It uses 12 rare earth magnets.

77 Euro 911 3.0 Wide Body - under construction
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rennsport/collections/72157618856489537/
Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
The sensor and screw in magnet are Motec sourced.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
what? me worry?

We use neodymium magnets in the trigger wheels we make. The magnets are secured in place with a dab of JB weld.. One of our engines regularly sees 9000 rpm and we have never lost a magnet.

Tried to secure the magnets by staking them in place, but they are very fragile and easily broken if you strike the punch to hard... so we use epoxy
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I have a setup similar to 125shifter although I just used the airpump pulley to mount the magnet. , You have to be careful with the type of magnets, it needs to be alinco otherwise they lose magnetism when they get hot. I am surprised TimT has had success with neodymium, but I suppose it depends where it is. If you are near the oil pump it can get quite hot, especially if your exhaust headers run under it, as the stock header does.

These are the parts I used available from newark.com
sensor
honeywell 103SR13A-2
magnet 102 mg11

Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: