Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I was talking to my Dad awhile back about unions. He mentioned that my Mom's Dad ran a textile mill in Alabama back in the 30's and that he carried a pistol in his pocket and had a 50 cal machine gun on top of the bldg to keep roaming union thugs at bay. They didn't play nice when they came to town.

I agree that unions were needed at one time, but they have outlived their usefulness. Through intimitadation and strikes, they have brought mfg to it's knees and driven it overseas. Jobs that should be paying much less are now paying 2-3 times what they should and driven the cost of products through the roof and/or driven it overseas.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Saipan is a well known sweat shop for Walmart and manufactures that do business for Walmart. Outright fraud that they are allowed to claim the US name without US laws.

The unions are a doubled edge sword, no doubt about it. Fact remains that even with twice as many employees as it took to do the work the Big 3 still managed to make a lot of money in their heyday. Good paychecks fed a healthy economy for a lot of years.

Here is the Chinese waste gate next to a TiAL. They don't look too different until you get close. The Chinese unit is pot metal and plastic. Not even good plastic but really flimsy costume jewelry for kids plastic.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
thought on Unions: If you don't like your employer, if you don't like your wages and that corporation you work for is making way to much profit, Your free to start your own.

Competition drives a capitalistic economy, heck competition drives the building of high performance cars.

Why do you suppose the Germans built our 930's?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Isn't this QS9000 ISO,NEN,Lloyd's,etc quality certification just another scam that drives pricing of western economy-built products to the roof?
They made quality in the 60-70's without these jokers right?
All is not bad in the USA alone-Chinese crap is all around us,even in Holland.

Keep your chin up,Arnoud
Old 02-27-2010, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
I read about the wages being paid and think that those are reasonable numbers in todays society considering the cost of a of living. Then I hear the *****ing about how the benefits are almost the same as the hourly pay.
The employee does not "benefit" from this cost. It all goes to the insurance and health care industries insane profits. Why are you blaming the workers for this. I have been a union blue collar worker for 30+ years. The benefits do not put money in my pocket. Instead it encourages companies to hire untrained non union workers. I can tell you now from experience. The quality is not there. Building inspections in NYC are a joke.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Im in the business of world trade with the feds. I will make this simple. 99% of companies are dirty. The majority of our exports to south amer.,for example caterpillar,tractors,trucks,heavy equipment is for the drug cartel. Western -Union r the bigggest money launders inthe u.s. for drugs and slavery. Currently under the obama,adminst.there is no quota with china. They can bring in whatever they want. -US companies must have IPR international property rights,trademark,copyrights,confusingly similar,etc, and other customs laws for us to go after fakes. If not, there is nothing we can do. Its US customs law. Our best intel. is from former employees....

Last edited by wjfk32; 03-02-2010 at 10:56 AM..
Old 02-28-2010, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I used to do patent aps as part of my job when working R&D in the chemical industry. I've also applied for a couple of patents on my exhaust systems.
Patents aren't worth the paper they are written on. Big companies with big money steal what they want and bankrupt you quick if you try to fight. Foreign companies are all but exempt from prosecution. I did the paperwork just to get it on record.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
I used to do patent aps as part of my job when working R&D in the chemical industry. I've also applied for a couple of patents on my exhaust systems.
Patents aren't worth the paper they are written on. Big companies with big money steal what they want and bankrupt you quick if you try to fight. Foreign companies are all but exempt from prosecution. I did the paperwork just to get it on record.
Agreed, in the past a small guy's only real hope was to commercialize it to a point some big outfit took notice and bought you and the product. You could be overpowered with Lawyers but that was unfair and unethical (remember those terms - still in many U.S. company code of conduct manuals, but just for the underlings to follow).

Now with globalization the big guys are China or India. They knock it off in cheap materials, whore up the market with predatory pricing and tell you to take your "rights" and piss up a rope.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
Agreed, in the past a small guy's only real hope was to commercialize it to a point some big outfit took notice and bought you and the product. You could be overpowered with Lawyers but that was unfair and unethical (remember those terms - still in many U.S. company code of conduct manuals, but just for the underlings to follow).

Now with globalization the big guys are China or India. They knock it off in cheap materials, whore up the market with predatory pricing and tell you to take your "rights" and piss up a rope.
It's more than that. With globalization, the 3rd world labor pool becomes the norm. This pulls down earning power of the American employee while retaining the wealth of the corporation and its owner/operators. The result is what we are already seeing; the death of the middle class and rising separation of the rich and poor. As long as there is a huge glut of slave labor in the 3rd world, cheap international transportation, and no equalizing tariffs, the American worker and the middle class are doomed.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Under the HTF-Harmonized Tariff Schedule-U.S. Customs there are tons of countries who do not pay DUTIES-FREE TRADE B.S. These countries don't know what a standard of living is.

The U.S. has to stop giving everyone a free ride and pay up. This will be a good start. Our tax base is dwindling and there is no growth or profit coming in or out.

This administration is stating our GNP-is growing and also our manufacturing.......

You gotta be kiddin me......seriously...I see the real numbers...Its getting worse..and there is no stopping....

The rich are losing money if u r reputable company. No cheap plastics,engineering,metals,testing,(cost big$$$$)etc.etc.
They can't compete in the long run because of price,labor,taxes,knockoffs,,etc.etc..

Last edited by wjfk32; 03-02-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
The next question is: what do we, as a country, do to turn this around?
Import tax for certain products from a certain country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Here is the Chinese waste gate next to a TiAL. They don't look too different until you get close. The Chinese unit is pot metal and plastic. Not even good plastic but really flimsy costume jewelry for kids plastic.

The top section of the wastegate is a copy of the HKS GTII and lower half is a copy of the TiAl 46mm.
The sad part is that as long as there is demand there will be a supply for these junk products. What's a bigger shame are the US companies supporting them. Like someone said before it's a downward spiral.
BIG DADDY PERFORMANCE SUPRA 7.60@186mph E98

Last edited by crispeed; 03-05-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Old 03-05-2010, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Mr.Crispeed what are you going in the Porsche world forum? see u around
Old 03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan ruiz View Post
Mr.Crispeed what are you going in the Porsche world forum? see u around
I plan on being in the Porsche world more often now.
BIG DADDY PERFORMANCE SUPRA 7.60@186mph E98
Old 03-05-2010, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: