Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Happiest when Tinkering

Do I need a blow off valve?

I need advise and opinions on blow off valves. I do have the PSSSSSTTTT sound when I shift so I suspect that is pressure spiking (but it sounds so cool) and will shorten the life of the turbo and what other problems can it cause? Did I mention it sounds so cool, oh well so what should I do? Since it is not CIS I can vent to atmosphere and I am thinking I can weld a flange on to the turbo outlet right below the intercooler it is stainless. Pic of motor to give ideas.

76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 02-26-2010, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice looking engine layout!

You must already have a BOV on there somewhere - as any turbo charged car has - but I can't see it (probably mounted someplace on the back side of the IC). That's the psssstttt you're hearing when you let off the throttle to shift when on boost. A small vacuum line is opening the valve and venting the boost to atmosphere. You can do that with EFI (vent to atmosphere), but with CIS it causes havvoc with the fuel mixture. Getting rid of the boost, whether you recirculate it or not, is what's important so as not to stall the turbo compressor. I suspect you're already there....unless you did all the work yourself and did not install a BOV, in which case your location of choice should work just fine I would think.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Nice looking engine layout!

You must already have a BOV on there somewhere - as any turbo charged car has - but I can't see it (probably mounted someplace on the back side of the IC). That's the psssstttt you're hearing when you let off the throttle to shift when on boost. A small vacuum line is opening the valve and venting the boost to atmosphere. You can do that with EFI (vent to atmosphere), but with CIS it causes havvoc with the fuel mixture. Getting rid of the boost, whether you recirculate it or not, is what's important so as not to stall the turbo compressor. I suspect you're already there....unless you did all the work yourself and did not install a BOV, in which case your location of choice should work just fine I would think.
Nope I dont have a BOV I was reading and the noise I am hearing is the pressure spike from the compressor when the trottle closes and is not good for the motor I am looking for opinions about this. Thanks that is the layout I concocted when I started laying out the parts.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 02-26-2010, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
I need advise and opinions on blow off valves. I do have the PSSSSSTTTT sound when I shift so I suspect that is pressure spiking (but it sounds so cool) and will shorten the life of the turbo and what other problems can it cause? Did I mention it sounds so cool, oh well so what should I do? Since it is not CIS I can vent to atmosphere and I am thinking I can weld a flange on to the turbo outlet right below the intercooler it is stainless. Pic of motor to give ideas.

[/img]
You will get as many different opinions on this one as there are contributors.
Cars were turbocharged for years before BOV were added to the intake duct and we saw very few turbocharger failures. It's my experience you are OK if you run street boost. BTW I like the sound also.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by copbait73 View Post
You will get as many different opinions on this one as there are contributors. Cars were turbocharged for years before BOV were added to the intake duct and we saw very few turbocharger failures. It's my experience you are OK if you run street boost. BTW I like the sound also.
Yeah Copbait, you're right about that for sure. But contributing is the fun part.

I guess I never realized that the backpressure "spike" as the turbo slows down can be heard as a pssssttt sound. To me, that's air escaping to atmosphere. Gsmith, that's one hell of a nice setup you've crafted. The only other thing I could offer would be that you might experience less turbo lag (and arguably less turbo wear) with a BOV installed.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

It is pretty cool isn't it. I am running 7 lbs of boost so I would think I am ok I may install a BOV to reduce lag and keep the turbo spooled up but right now it is fun to drive and the sounds it makes reminds me of the old cart indycars and the sounds they made. I still am looking for all opinions though so let them fly.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

My motor is already running at the ragged edge of what I think a mag case can take so I know not having a BOV adds wear to the turbo but does it stress the motor or does the press. and stress get stopped at the butterfly?
Old 02-27-2010, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

bov

my car is a modified efi car with a bov...i remember very well the time that i forgot to reconnect the vacuum line to the valve... building 14 psi in first and letting off to shift to second.....seals destroyed in a heartbeat as well as the rotor shaft...i did not realize that a car could generate so much smoke from the exhaust!!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I bought my car without one but quickly put one on because it slams the cartridge back and forth shortening the turbo life.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 02-27-2010, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith660 View Post
My motor is already running at the ragged edge of what I think a mag case can take so I know not having a BOV adds wear to the turbo but does it stress the motor or does the press. and stress get stopped at the butterfly?
No stress to the engine proper outside the intake system (hoses, o-rings, brackets). Right now you are deadheading the boost against a closed throttle and the turbo is going into surge (the aerodynamic area to the left of the diagonal line on a compressor map). This can cause the thrust bearing to fail or in turbos other than modern Garrett break the locking nut torque. There are many factors involved in predicting if or when a failure will occur, boost level being significant. I don't consider your mild boost to be significant.

All turbochargers pass a thrust bearing qualification test. In fact running in surge is required just to generate a compressor map. All turbocharger companies say regular OPERATION in surge will fail the bearing system. I would not expect any healthy turbo to fail the first time it surged however it’s common to get a sound like this when a turbo has a catastrophic failure.

All said, you will retain (a) sound if you just add the BOV and vent to atmosphere. It’s best you do this. This eliminates the risk of surge as your turbo will not see deadheading against the closed throttle. As for increased boost response by recycling air back into the compressor inlet? In street operation that stuff is mostly BS the factory used to hide the facts: 1) CIS demands it for proper operation, 2) MOST people are put off by unusual sounds......even turbo whine!

In my book a turbo engine should chirp or wheeze on shift plus whine up and down with boost.

Last edited by copbait73; 02-27-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Old 02-27-2010, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I just started it up after sitting for 2 and a half months balked a little smoked a little took a couple priming pulses and had to clear its throat very minor backfire and then nice even idle. Only hear the sound when driving and coming off boost. I think I will install a BOV before I get into the driving season just to be safe. I think I will get that new one everybody is talking about.
SYNAPSE ENGINEERING Synchronic Blow Off Valve SB001 : SB001A Blowoff / Bypass Valves Momentum GT
Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: