Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to sprbxr
Anyone using stainless steel flame rings?

I vaguely recall someone on here using SS flame rings. I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbofrog

IIRC DonE had those if that help your search.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What I was told, back on the day. from another of my High output 911 Gurus

Flame rings have been around for eon's in the racing world and are incorporated into a very high percentage of racing engines in some sort of design or another. Many blocks/heads won't accept an interlocking groove and must suffice with just a beefy o-ring in a head gasket, but the interlocking groove is by far the most secure.

Cosworth actually runs a groove all the way around the liner with an escape path to the ambient air to release any pressure between the heads/block to keep it from lifting...

The 935's all ran a Ni-Resist flame ring, and they kept the engine's together, but tend to still leak due to the mismatched expansion rates of the materials and inability to set the tolerances correct for both cold and hot running conditions.

Early on, we tried the Ni-Resist and Stainless rings, but when set tight enough to stop the leakage, you would crack the liners due to them remaining small as the liner expanded due to heat.

There are many copper rings placed in aftermarket head gaskets, Porsche's used many types of sealing rings in the liners, from covered springs, to graphite materials, but they all have their limitations.

The only thing we've found to go the distance has been our flame rings, interlocked between the head and the liner, fit to a tolerance of 2 ten thousandths of an inch. any looser and they leak, any tighter and they gaul, stick and break things.

On 964/993 heads, you'll go right through the heads when installing them as the fins protrude very far under the surface of the deck, so the face needs to be rebuilt as a solid supporting surface.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

2 out of the 6 rings in my engine were broken upon removal of the heads. The rings were ni-resist. I honestly don't know if they were broken upon disassembly or broke in usage as I was not the one who disassembled the engine.
What material are you using for your rings Juan? If it is Top Secret, I understand.

Justin
Old 03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
oh Lord that was so long ago, I will look at my notes to see if I can find the exact material
Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

From what I have been told the best material choice is T6 aluminum. . The expansion rates match that of the heads and barrels. More important than material choice is the machine work. Its easy to screw the pooch here.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprbxr View Post
I vaguely recall someone on here using SS flame rings. I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.
Thanks
I use SS rings. What do you need?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What SS are you using?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Sorry, I don't know. JB Racing made the rings and cut the heads/cylinders too, but I never thought to ask the alloy.

If you want, feel free to call Mike Bruns at JB - he'll take the time and explain.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Will do. They are making me a flywheel as we speak. I have an oddball shortened G50/50 and needed a special flywheel. More $$$$.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Maybe not "as we speak"....they are at Sebring.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: