Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Any comments on inexpensive aftermarket clutch?

Had the motor out in an 87 930 (for general winter love and care - my wife is still unhappy "a perfectly running" car is in pieces in the garage ), figured I would see what shape the clutch was in, even though it worked fine. The car is new to me, and I just want to see what I have here...so far so good.

The car has the original style rubber centered clutch. It looks like it was very recently replaced, as there seems to be very little wear. The PP/etc also look like thay have just been machined, as there is basically no wear on it.

I hate to replace the current clutch disc, as it looks awefully new. The SACHS spring centered ones seem to run about $350. If the clutch were worn, this would be a no brainer. But, it looks new.

I look at a competitors site, and they have new spring centered clutches for the 930 for 99$. These are not SACHS, and no manufacturer is listed. For 99$, I might replace the clutch disc just for the heck of it. I just can't jusitfy spending $350 to replace what looks to be a new clutch, even though its rubber centered...

Thoughts?

Leave the rubber one?

Anyone have comments on aftermarket clutch discs? (I know Kennedy sells the high end stuff, but I am looking for a basic package. The car is slightly modified (bigger intercooler/boost spring/ and who knows what else the PO did). The car runs fine, and its hard to justify replacing stuff that just isn't broken...

Any thoughts specifically on the aftermarket clutch disc appreciated...

Bo
Old 03-04-2010, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think you can shop around and maybe save a few bucks on Sachs discs. I would steer away from the bargain basement no-name units. You are most likely puting out serious horses at the crank (and thus the clutch) and want something that can survive. Put a $99 disc in now and have it explode a week later..and drop the engine+pay for a tow? NOT, I would think.

Yes, the rubber centered discs are prone to self destruct with no warning (so I've heard) but only after a good long life. So, if yours looks good then maybe you should just live with it until it either becomes symptomatic or destroys itself.

I used Kennedy for my PP, but with a Sachs manufactured disc. Very happy with the combination....but then it wasn't $99 either.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

QSC by chance? Garbage!!! Do not use, had a bad experience installing one if you did not pick up on that...
Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

try Clutch Master's- they take your old pressure plate and modify it and give you a custom disk back. They are very reasonable for a performance clutch shop
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If the rubber center looks new, and rubber is nice, i would leave it. they did last a long time when put in from the factory. I did an engine rebuild. Alot of people here seem to replace alot of stuff that I think is unnecessary. Id leave the disk. BTW, I side with your wife and wouldnt drop the engine without a good reason. Also, forget the cheap 99 dollar disk. Thats just a no no. Especially on a turbo

Last edited by my1st911; 03-04-2010 at 06:46 PM..
Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Eye of the Toiger

Garage
get sachs so you cane be sure your clutch will not crap it self

1973 911 RSR clone powered by 77 3.0 turbo
Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Turbo Hooligan

If it aint broke... I have a kennedy puck pp, not too expensive, but veerrrryyy griipppy. I ran a McLeod setup in my mustang, cheap and bullet proof. they garaunteed me that itd be the last clutch I'd ever need. good people.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: