Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Just been re-reading the earlier pages of this thread. Someone posted that for the 930, the front of the A-arm is lowered by 7mm.

Would be interesting to know the ground clearance differences (front bushing mount and as well cross member) between the 911 and 930 at stock Euro ride height.

Forgot to ask earlier - Is the spindle on the 930 strut at the same height as the 911 strut?

Data found from another thread:
'85 SC/RS
front height 143+/-5mm(wheel ctr above t-bar ctr)
rear height 14mm(cross tube ctr to wheel ctr)

Is the SC-RS 911 or 930 chassis?

Old 12-27-2016, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Registered

Just found this website of an SCRS restoration, apparently a real one, and the floor mounts for the cross member appear to be 911 type.

Prodrive's First Car, aka, Porsche 911/SCRS restoration pics

I seem to remember there was an article in a magazine about the SCRS and the author stated that it was 930 bodied. He probably meant the flares

How is the front height 143+/-5mm(wheel ctr above t-bar ctr) achieved?
Old 12-27-2016, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72s View Post
Just found this website of an SCRS restoration, apparently a real one, and the floor mounts for the cross member appear to be 911 type.

Prodrive's First Car, aka, Porsche 911/SCRS restoration pics

I seem to remember there was an article in a magazine about the SCRS and the author stated that it was 930 bodied. He probably meant the flares

How is the front height 143+/-5mm(wheel ctr above t-bar ctr) achieved?
they said that about the M491 too using the 930 chassis. it now appears they dont have the anti-dive fronts also?
Old 12-29-2016, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Registered

I think some are confused here. The anti-dive added to the 930s was done by spacing the front A arm bushing system down, and by raising the rear cross member (and thus the rear A arm bushing system) up. Spacing down is easy, but to raise the cross member up (and thus the A arm bushing) you have to cut out a small section of the tub and weld in the "nut" part higher up. The factory manual shows this. The top of this "nut" actually protrudes into the trunk, as it is welded both to the lower piece of some unibody sheet metal, but penetrates and is welded to a piece above it. Makes sense, as those two 12mm bolts take up a lot of pretty heavy suspension forces.

The result of lowering and raising is to incline the axis of the A arm. The only purpose of this was to introduce anti-dive. And the spindles on the 930 A arms are, as far as I know, at the same height as those of the regular 911s. Spindles were only raised on the RS to lower the ride height. The RS came with Bilstein struts, and the spindles are fairly easy to raise on those. They are very very difficult to raise on Boge or Koni struts, as you have to section the tubing above and below the spindle on those struts.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Fricke View Post
I think some are confused here. The anti-dive added to the 930s was done by spacing the front A arm bushing system down, and by raising the rear cross member (and thus the rear A arm bushing system) up. Spacing down is easy, but to raise the cross member up (and thus the A arm bushing) you have to cut out a small section of the tub and weld in the "nut" part higher up. The factory manual shows this. The top of this "nut" actually protrudes into the trunk, as it is welded both to the lower piece of some unibody sheet metal, but penetrates and is welded to a piece above it. Makes sense, as those two 12mm bolts take up a lot of pretty heavy suspension forces.

The result of lowering and raising is to incline the axis of the A arm. The only purpose of this was to introduce anti-dive. And the spindles on the 930 A arms are, as far as I know, at the same height as those of the regular 911s. Spindles were only raised on the RS to lower the ride height. The RS came with Bilstein struts, and the spindles are fairly easy to raise on those. They are very very difficult to raise on Boge or Koni struts, as you have to section the tubing above and below the spindle on those struts.
walt yes.,,,there is a notch out on the 930 for moving the boss nut up. these arent on the M491 cars hence has porsche been misleading us on the TL's?

if you look tb axis in the A-arms you can see the inclination with the rest of the tub where the weld flanges/tub bottom are regardless of where the hubs sit or ride height etc. I dont see what the ride height or spindle places have much to do with the anti-dive as the other have stated.

which RS is do you speak of 2.7RS or 3.0RS? i dont know if the 3.0RS has front anti-dive but it does have anti-squat in rears thought not as much the 930's if memory servers from frere's book.

9m's wonderful 930 resto shows the a-arm inclination in relationship to the tub/flange. on the nb cars this is near parallel. on the other pic towards the rear is notched out for the raised cross beam mounts. in fact it was Colin at 9m who informed me that the SSE/M491 cars didnt have this feature.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Registered

Just found this tech drawing:

It seems that the A-arm (911) had some pro-dive.

So, the 930 A-arm were probably inclined pretty much horizontal or with a very small amount of anti-dive. Nice.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Registered

I'd be a bit hesitant to draw that conclusion from this drawing. Yes, it looks highly accurate. But Frere and others who talked about anti-dive for turbos and the 2.8 RSR never mentioned the stock setup as having any element of "pro" dive, did they?

The diagram showing the distances from a whole bunch of chassis points to other points for use when adding a front clip or straightening out a tub and so on are all just horizontal.

Is there a place where Porsche described the vertical height of these points? Maybe the Celette bench just came equipped with pegs for this or that point which were already at the proper height for the point?

I'd love to see such a list. It would make it easier to come up with the XYZ coordinates to plug into a suspension program.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Is there a place where Porsche described the vertical height of these points? Maybe the Celette bench just came equipped with pegs for this or that point which were already at the proper height for the point?

I'd love to see such a list. It would make it easier to come up with the XYZ coordinates to plug into a suspension program.
Good idea. Maybe the Celette data is in the factory workshop manual but I don't have access to my manual right now.

It would be great if someone can post the data here. (both 911 and 930)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
I'd be a bit hesitant to draw that conclusion from this drawing. Yes, it looks highly accurate. But Frere and others who talked about anti-dive for turbos and the 2.8 RSR never mentioned the stock setup as having any element of "pro" dive, did they?

The diagram showing the distances from a whole bunch of chassis points to other points for use when adding a front clip or straightening out a tub and so on are all just horizontal.

yes factory drawing (long nose) suggest the a-arms are mounted with 3 degree "pro" rake. the 930 anti dive spacer and raised cross member added gets it near parallel to floor plan of the tub at design position.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
walt yes.,,,there is a notch out on the 930 for moving the boss nut up. these arent on the M491 cars hence has porsche been misleading us on the TL's?

if you look tb axis in the A-arms you can see the inclination with the rest of the tub where the weld flanges/tub bottom are regardless of where the hubs sit or ride height etc. I dont see what the ride height or spindle places have much to do with the anti-dive as the other have stated.

which RS is do you speak of 2.7RS or 3.0RS? i dont know if the 3.0RS has front anti-dive but it does have anti-squat in rears thought not as much the 930's if memory servers from frere's book.

9m's wonderful 930 resto shows the a-arm inclination in relationship to the tub/flange. on the nb cars this is near parallel. on the other pic towards the rear is notched out for the raised cross beam mounts. in fact it was Colin at 9m who informed me that the SSE/M491 cars didnt have this feature.

is that an oil cooler mounted against the underside?
Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
AC stuff. Long gone on mine! The car in the picture has the trombone style cooler on the right side.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: