Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certifiable

Send a message via Yahoo to Quicksilver77
Spring time upgrades... Opinions?

Hello all,
Summer is coming and I am planning to spend a lot more time in the 930. Here the California’s central valley we see temperatures routinely up in the 100’s. As such I am planning to add a front mounted oil cooler, in addition to the stock oil cooler. I am doing to cool engine temps, as I also plan to do the desert duty system from Rennaire.
Here are my thoughts on the upgrades. Let me know your thoughts and experiences with the following:

Better Bodies 934 front and rear bumper covers. See it here
(I hate the impact bumper accordions and I need a front bumper with a cutout to accept the oil cooler.)

Mocal/Sterab Front mounted oil cooler with thermostat. (my understanding is that with the thermostat the system will use the standard oil cooling loop until the temp reaches “temperature X” and then opens the loop to include the front cooler” That way the engine will reach optimal operating temp?)

Rennaire Desert Duty System 1 here

Any experiences with these companies, systems, or products would be very appreciated!!
Thanks for all your time!
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That isn't a 934 bumper
This is a 934 bumper
Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Certifiable

That is true!!!! Let's just call the kit in question the middle width 934 aero kit!

How is your build coming along? Back in the shop yet?
India Red/Beige/Black; Mahle 3.4L; Kokeln IC; K27 7200; GHL Headers; Borla Stainless Muffler; SC cams; Sachs Aluminum Clutch; Aluminum flywheel; Bilstein Sport Shocks; Adjustable Rear Sway Bar; Weltmeister Shock Tower Brace; Lowered and Corner Balanced; MOMO RSGT Seats...
Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just snowed on us a foot last night here . Her motor is ready to go in , still have the rear suspension to address . Too dam cold to work in there. You know Dave at TRE was making a 934 bumper for the Turbo body.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I opted to go with the new Griffith's front condenser with my AC overhaul rather than the thicker Rennaire Desert duty because of clearance/fit issues documented by others. It was a true plug and play replacement. I like the rest of the Rennaire package though, I am using their serpentine evaporator.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Just bought that front bumper, It won't take a very thick oil cooler behind it. Quality is low and the part is heavy but nobody else offers it as far as I know.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lite75 View Post
Just bought that front bumper, It won't take a very thick oil cooler behind it. Quality is low and the part is heavy but nobody else offers it as far as I know.
I threw away an utter piece of garbage front bumper from better bodies like that which refused to fit over a regular front oil cooler even though it was specifically designed to accept an oil cooler. We kept hacking little pieces off the disgusting cheap mexican horsehair fiberglass to try to fit the oil cooler until the bumper was just unuseable anymore. Threw it in the trash.

Got a proper bumper from GT Racing, weighed about 70% less and built with actual quality fiberglass instead of horsehair plaster and was a quality piece instead of crap. Paid by credit card instead of non-refundable wire transfer like better bodies demands.

Seriously, what legit business won't accept credit cards?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Certifiable

Lite75:
Upon a close inspection of TRE's site it looks like they do in fact offer the same style of front bumper. I think I will go that way, as Dave @ TRE comes highly recommended.

DDDD:
I remember reading your original thread on the BB stuff. Fiberglass seems like such a crap shoot!!! Has me frightened with whatever company I ultimately use! Guess some times you just have to roll the dice!

SJF911:
My $1500 question.... Does the AC actually blow cold??? I would love to hear how the system works!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver77 View Post
SJF911:
My $1500 question.... Does the AC actually blow cold??? I would love to hear how the system works!
LOL, it's still basically winter here and this was my big winter project this year. I don't like driving the car much until temperatures are consistently above 50 as I only have summer tires. As such, I haven't charged the system yet, only evacuated it. Also, because I went to a full-bay intercooler, I deleted the stock rear condenser and added a 993 condenser with fan to the left rear wheel well. This should be more than enough for adequate vent temps. The real question is will it hold a charge as I made all of my own hoses.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Certifiable

Hahaha! I'm pull'n for you and your hoses!
My main concern is that I really don't want to dump $ into the AC and have to blow 10* lower than ambient temp! I can deal with no heat in the winter, I can just bundle up... but there is no hiding in the summer!!! It gets HOT here!!! Not quite Phoenix... but close
Old 03-10-2010, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
If you go with TRE's let me know how it looks. I have 12hrs rework labor in the BB spoiler so far and its getting closer to usable, hope theirs is of better quality.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver77 View Post
Hahaha! I'm pull'n for you and your hoses!
My main concern is that I really don't want to dump $ into the AC and have to blow 10* lower than ambient temp! I can deal with no heat in the winter, I can just bundle up... but there is no hiding in the summer!!! It gets HOT here!!! Not quite Phoenix... but close
I know what you mean about Central Valley summers, I grew up spending all of my summers on the family farm in Reedley (no AC in the house) and then later spent 10 years in Visalia.

Last edited by sjf911; 03-10-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
After much research on body kits I decided heavily against Better Bodies. They moved their body kit creation to Mexico and I had heard that the fit was very bad on most of them now.
Used MA Shaw myself and had a very good experience. No affiliation, just happy with the 964 conversion body kit I received from them. There was no additional labor from my body guy to make it fit with the car. He had a better bodies kit there at the same time and the owner spent almost an extra $500 getting the fit right above was was originally quoted.
87 930 Super Cup (964) Cams , Andial K27 7200 Turbo, Andial Intercooler, Twin Plug, Andial Fuel Enrichment System, Carillo Rods, Mahle Pistons, Raceware head studs, Adjustable Turbo, Ruf Wheels, plus much more...
Old 03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I had one and only one experience with BB and it sucked. The tail was garbage, had so many defects and was shipped out broken in several places. Had to pay to ship it back and pay a re-stick fee. WTF?As mentioned, any place that doesn't take CC's shoul be a huge red flag.

I bought my 934 air dam from TRE. It was a nice piece with little work needed. Getty is another place I've had good luck with.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Certifiable

Well, the responses seem to push me away from better bodies. I will keep you posted on the TRE bumpers!

Now, anyone with any AC information? It works? It doesn't? It's worth the $? It is better to drive 100mph with no clothes to keep cool?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Got my *930/ruf style- spoiler/screen last year...Delay was bad. Reason they told me becuz they cut the maj. of their staff. Installing wasn't to bad. Had to dremmel it down. Quality was ok. Yup--I remember the horse hair. It could of have been worse....
Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: