Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Question What oil filter do you use on your 930?

I've been running the Bosch, but thinking of trying that Purolator Pure one on the 930. I read this independent oil and filter test below and the Purolator got pretty high marks.

Too, I've been using the Pure one on my Acura with synthetic oil and after 7,500 miles the oil still looks fairly clean. I think the filter is doing a good job there.

It's kind of an interesting read!

Engine Oil Filter Study
Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbo Hooligan

I always try to use a new one, or at least a clean one.

Oil filters are like condems, as long as they work, your home free.

I run mahle and/or puralator, My car has all kinds of problems, but I dont think either is caused by the filters.

All these guys do is drive too fast, work on cars, chase ******* and drink.. really no fun at all...
Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I use the std Purolator. I don't think they make a pure one to fit our car, but could be wrong.

The key items are the relief valve and backflow preventer.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hello there, Any oil filter with a pleated paper element will be by-passing most of the time, We have been running Canton Mecca cartridge type filters for over 7 years with excellent results, we have verified flow on the scavenge circuit and found that it flows better than the standard filters, Having a synthetic media depth element eliminates the need for a by-pass valve, Check their website, I feel that it is cheap insurance for our very expensive motors, BTW we change the element once a year will post a photo later tonight.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

I use Pure Power reusable filters because of filtering size, stainless steel mesh that oil actually goes through (rather than beside like pleated paper) and I can reuse it. As a side benefit (for me), each time I clean it, I get to look for any debris in the oil possibly due to an failing motor.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
What's wrong with the Mahle?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerodyn930 View Post
Hello there, Any oil filter with a pleated paper element will be by-passing most of the time, We have been running Canton Mecca cartridge type filters for over 7 years with excellent results, we have verified flow on the scavenge circuit and found that it flows better than the standard filters, Having a synthetic media depth element eliminates the need for a by-pass valve, Check their website, I feel that it is cheap insurance for our very expensive motors, BTW we change the element once a year will post a photo later tonight.
Do you know what the percentage of oil is bypassed thru the pleated filter under normal running conditions?
This has always been something I was interested in finding out but cannot seem to find the exact info.
I had heard that the Mahle filter internal bypass pressure is set higher than other filters, which is the main difference making it preferable to use against other brands. Dont know if its true.
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
I use Pure Power reusable filters because of filtering size, stainless steel mesh that oil actually goes through (rather than beside like pleated paper) and I can reuse it. As a side benefit (for me), each time I clean it, I get to look for any debris in the oil possibly due to an failing motor.
Are you saying that this is a non bypassed filter?
Also, does it mount directly to the sump tank without adaptors? I looked at their site and they seem to have a generic model number filter and it did not specify mounting for specific vehicle applications.
What pressure is the bypass valve set to blow off if you know off hand. I am still waiting for them to respond to me.
Thanks,
Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 03-19-2010, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hello Fred,
The Canton Mecca filter once assembled will spin on to the oil tank just like the regular filter, Below is a photo of the filter installed and the element that is used, No it does not have a by-pass, When using a synthetic depth filtration element you avoid the biggest limitation of pleated paper (surface filtration) that is once contaminants begin to accumulate on the surface flow is compromised and by-passing of the element occurs on a greater scale. The percentage of by-pass on the average filter is predicated on: flow requirements, and preventing damage to the filter media and or shell. The lesser quality filters will have a lower pressure on the by-pass valve for the reasons mentioned earlier,Most of the by-pass episodes will occur with cold oil and hi flow conditions, (sustained hi speed running) and both will be exarbated by contaminant build up on the element. One troubling aspect of by-pass is that contaminants may be scoured of the media surface and sent to your oil pump . All this being said the Mahle OC-54 is a excellent filter ( IT would be my choice if I were to run a standard filter) but if you are willing to spend more , there are better choices available. BTW the "oberg" type filter mentioned in a earlier post on this thread is also a step above the standard filters as it does not need a by-pass valve. If interested P.M. me and I will give you the shop ph. # , I will be glad to give you the part#'s so you can call them.

Lou Verdiales/ Aero Dynamics
386-304-0380
Old 03-19-2010, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I use Mahl 54 filters. They boost my HP about 15%. Each time I change to a new filter, I have to feather the throttle to keep my tires from shredding.

Well, maybe that's a bit of a stretch. Actually, I bought a case of them some time ago for about $6.00 apiece. Figured it was a good deal.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Are you saying that this is a non bypassed filter?
Also, does it mount directly to the sump tank without adaptors? I looked at their site and they seem to have a generic model number filter and it did not specify mounting for specific vehicle applications.
What pressure is the bypass valve set to blow off if you know off hand. I am still waiting for them to respond to me.
Thanks,
Fred
Yes, there is no reason for bypass - even cold oil can pass through the stainless mesh (unlike oil "through" paper).

Look at Clewett's web page. They are spin on filters.

I think the by pass pressure relief valves are set to somewhere around 100 - 125 psi. I've shimmed mine to approx 125 - 130 psi so I can have high idle and low rpm pressure.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: