Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How do guys stateside get away with such exhausts re noise db's etc and state laws or do you not have any. What RarlyL8 has done is brilliant.

Where I am in Ireland, which has turned into a nanny state choked by EU laws our new car testing procedure is that all cars tested for road use irrespective of age upto 30yrs old must have less than 100 db noise @ 3000rpm measured 3 metres from exhaust. My fabspeed single outlet is touching cloth here likewise a standard 997 GT3 with no mods is encroaching the limits here....
Old 03-22-2010, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post

Off topic, and I'm not sure if you care, but I thought I'd pass this along. I see you have a standard CT reg on your 930. This means your town assessor uses NADA value of your car to create your tax bill (which could be close to $40,000). If you changed the reg to early american, you have no driving restrictions and your assessed value is fixed at $500. My annual tax bill is about $13 compared to almost $1000 if I had a standard registration.

Again, sorry for going off topic, just wanted to try and save you some money.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Thanks Fletcher - oh I very much DO CARE heh heh.

I'm nearly certain CT requires 25yrs age to acquire those, leaves me 2yrs to go. Sucks. I do run the antique plate on the TR3 - never knew it correlated into tax assessment tho. Always just assumed the TR3 bottomed out @ $500 8-).

You ain't kidding - the 930 runs me $500/yr in tax, more than my '01 Audi or '02 Benz. Pretty lame.

2 more years tho, tick tock.

Tx again for the thought and I too am sorry for the ThreadJack 8-)...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
Thanks Fletcher - oh I very much DO CARE heh heh.

I'm nearly certain CT requires 25yrs age to acquire those, leaves me 2yrs to go. Sucks. I do run the antique plate on the TR3 - never knew it correlated into tax assessment tho. Always just assumed the TR3 bottomed out @ $500 8-).

You ain't kidding - the 930 runs me $500/yr in tax, more than my '01 Audi or '02 Benz. Pretty lame.

2 more years tho, tick tock.

Tx again for the thought and I too am sorry for the ThreadJack 8-)...
Actually that's a common misconception, it is 20 years in CT, 25 years is for emission exemption (trust me my 930 is an 87). Hurry up to DMV now and save some money DMV: Early American Antique Plates

Last edited by fletcher0780; 03-22-2010 at 08:13 AM..
Old 03-22-2010, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Beautiful work!!!!!!

Quick question Brian. In time, does your exhuast get louder/more popping???

Walt
Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I've had the same muffler in place for 3 years now Walt and no change in sound. In that time I have replaced one client's muffler that burned up the packing material when the turbo seized. I have had a couple reports of loudness over time and will look into how much heat they were exposed to when I get those mufflers back.
As you know these cars are all over the map in terms of fuel tuning and modifications. Every now and then you see a thread where a fellow is wondering why his headers glow red at idle. Generally speaking if the AFRs and timing are correct the muffler will be fine. I'm looking into materials that will endure even more heat for that small % out there running around glowing red.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Brian!!!

Saving my pennies!!

Walt
Old 03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

ahh, I got it.....don't engage with non nationals........There is life the other side of the pond fellas and we too tweak our cars.

Last edited by 930lad; 03-22-2010 at 01:26 PM..
Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
930lad, the laws vary from state to state here so it would be difficult to give you a complete answer. Welcome to the turbo board, will you post more pics of your car please.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker
Old 03-22-2010, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
It goes beyond that as there are local ordinances as well.
Generally speaking there are no sound laws in the US, Harley's are proof of that.
Thank you for the complement, I'm just trying to create more options when it comes to sound level. Everyone's version of what is tolerable or desirable can be vastly different.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
There are sound laws, even Harleys are supposed to have mufflers in some states. In New York it was common to gut the cat on bikes and the squad they used to combat this would shove a nightstick like baton down the tube to see if there were any restriction or if it passed freely. See below
(c) Uses of muffler and other engine exhaust modifying equipment substantially and unreasonably invades the personal privacy, peace, and freedom of residents and visitors of the City.(b) Exhaust/Muffler. No person shall discharge into the open air the exhaust, or permit the discharge of the exhaust, of any steam engine, stationary internal combustion engine, truck, automobile, motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile or other vehicle except through a muffler or other device which will effectively prevent loud or explosive noises therefrom and complies with all applicable state laws and regulations.

No person shall operate or permit the operation of a motor vehicle upon a street, highway or alley in the City, with an engine the exhaust system of which has been altered, modified or repaired, including use of an engine retarding brake or a muffler or resonant kit, such that the noise emitted by the engine's exhaust system is increased above that emitted by the exhaust system with which said motor vehicle came originally equipped from the manufacturer
Old 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
In the US Law Enforcement Officers generally have more important things to do. FYI Auto manufacturers have to comply with international standards for noise pollution and how much noise emanates from the exhaust of a given production car. FYI Rarly you need to construct a disclaimer if you don't already have one to indemify your company for violations caused by your clientele, stating effectively that your exhausts are for off road use only and that the use of your product constitutes an acknowledgment of aforementioned prescribed use etc., etc.

I will be happy to help if you need some free advice.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
In the US Law Enforcement Officers generally have more important things to do. FYI Auto manufacturers have to comply with international standards for noise pollution and how much noise emanates from the exhaust of a given production car. FYI Rarly you need to construct a disclaimer if you don't already have one to indemify your company for violations caused by your clientele, stating effectively that your exhausts are for off road use only and that the use of your product constitutes an acknowledgment of aforementioned prescribed use etc., etc.

I will be happy to help if you need some free advice.
Lincoln, sounds great !!!!

As a LEO, I can tell you, unless the driver was just being a straight up prick.. I would NEVER write that citation to anyone!. Its a waste of my time...and a waste of the courts time. I run a Zork tube for my exhaust, and to be honest, the car is not that loud. Certainly the turbo quiets these cars down in relation to a unmuffled 3.2 or 3.6 racecar.

These are sports cars, and as long as you are not hotdogging it in a school or residential zone, you should be fine.

But, Brian I do agree with Lincoln's statement above. It is only a matter of time, you sell one of these to a bonehead. Then when he gets a citation, in an accident, etc, he will come after you .... they are out there!!! Just look at Motorshiester... there are idiots born everyday!!!!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 03-22-2010, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Can't you just put a disclaimer stating not for street use. That way the responsibility is on the buyer rather than the seller.
1969 Carrera Widebody TurboKraft Custom (Mexico Blue)
2001 E39 M5 Imola/Black-red interior
Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I bought back one of my first mufflers from a fellow who got pulled over for noise violation. We had discussed it before he purchased but it makes no difference if the LEO sais it's too loud. This was a Hooligan muffler. I've bought back one Zork as well. That satisfaction garanteed policy bites me now and again, ha!
You guys are right though, I need to add a disclaimer of some sort.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Schnele, There may be sound laws as you stated however it is quite apparent that they are not enforced AT ALL! The nanny regime is trying to sink their poisonous claws into us everyday, but for now harleys and big blocks are bombing up and down Woodward ave everyday. The coffee-can mufflered ricers that are always nibling on me 930 arse, have got the decibel levels up there as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

How much for just the muffler part? I have the equivalent of your hooligan but it's LOUD. I like it but at time it would be nice to muffle it a bit. I would just need to be able to clamp in a muffler section when I want.

This is basically what I have:

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey

Last edited by equality72521; 03-23-2010 at 05:35 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Mark, the byass tubes and muffler bodies are sold at a discount for folks who already have one of my mufflers and need sound options. I'll shoot you an e-mail.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Mark, the byass tubes and muffler bodies are sold at a discount for folks who already have one of my mufflers and need sound options. I'll shoot you an e-mail.
My pipe isn't one of yours. I got it off ebay about three years ago from a guy who had it custom made and couldn't take the sound. Worth $35 to me though. I was just thinking about adding a muffler to take the edge off.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
That's right, I remember seeing that. No problem, if you can make it work I'll sell you a muffler body, same price.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: