Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
car wont start after a great drive with no problems?? Help pls

so I just did all the mods listed below on my signature plus new gapped pugs, wires, rotor, distrbtr cap, oil, filter, fuel filters and valve adjustment. Loaded up windows 7 on my mac and since it takes so long, I decided to go for a drive. So Basically I was driving the car with the DWUR factory settings. AFRS were about 14-15 on cruise, 12.5 to 13.5 idle and in the few times I hit the boost it would read from 10.9 to12.
I drove about 50 miles, parked, ate at a restaurant and came back. It started fine and drove fine. Drove another 50 miles back and stopped at blockbuster near my home and came right back. CAR NO START!!!
turns over easy but no firing......AT ALL..., as if no fuel or no spark. Fuses all OK, has fuel....Nothing changed. Car showed no signs of misfiring prior to my "brief" stop.
Waited for it to cool down thinking my DWUR is thinking the car is cold when its warm but even after temp gauge was down, nothing!!???
Had to get it towed 6 miles to my house.
CAR ran so awesome though!!!!!
Could it be I was too impatient and drove it without getting AFRs straight?
DWUR malfunction??
New problem like sooted plugs or dead fuel pump or bad coil??????

WHYYYYYYYYY???????????????
how can I trouble shoot this to be sure its a non DWUR problem before taking this thing out prematurely.. Im not that great mechanically but I have worked on my VW Bus alot!!!
She never left me stranded though
Anyones input is greatly appreciated. I was looking forward to tuning her today with the laptop and going to SEBRING tomorrow SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help
Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Infidel

Could be a fuel pump relay. If you reach behind the fuel head there is a lead connected to the back, remove that, then turn the ignition on and you should hear the pumps running, if they are not then you have an answer. If they are running, then check your CDI box, ingition on it should hum, if not then you have an answer.
If it's neither of those then we can try something else
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 540 BMW, XB12S Modified, for being a total hooligan
Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks JBL930!
I will try these and report back. I know when I turn the ignition key there is always a hum in the back. Even when it had the stock wur. I assume thats the cdi box working?
I will check.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Infidel

Sounds like the CDI box is fine then. It's most likely a relay! In the rear left of the engine bay, there's a black cover, remove this and there are some relays and fuses. The black round relay there can sometimes work loose, it did it on mine once and i had to get it towed 300 miles. The other relays are in the front, once you have the lead disconnected from the back of the fuel head/metering plate assembly, and the ignition is on and the lights are up on the dash, you sholuld be able to clearly hear both pumps running, it's a good time to listen and see if they sound healthy too. If the pumps aren't running just play with the relays, swap them around etc, it'll be clear which the dodgy one is. Also a good time to order a couple of spares!
87 930, 993 turbo engine, RS Tuning 520PS/515lbf-ft, Arrow Rods, ARP hardware, Solid lifters, G50-50, RS Flywheel, 890nm Sachs clutch, RSR coil overs all round, 993 C4 calipers front, 930 fronts on the rear, Ruf Speedlines.....
Old 03-19-2010, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
ok.so the humming noise comes from the cdi box, so i guess its good. I cant find the relay though. I see one to the left of the IC just in front of the cdi box but its red and its only one red one. The Two other relays there are squarish looking metal types. Is this it?
I reached behind the fuel head but can locate a connector. Are the fuel pump relays located behind the black fuel head? I can see one fuel pump on drivers side just behind the fuel filter but cant see where the wires go to.........
thank you for your help
Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Infidel

The fuel pump relays are in the front, under the hood. The 'round' relay in the back that i mentioned could be either red or black, i'm not entirely sure what it does, but when it worked loose in mine the car wouldn't run.

If you reach back behind the metering assembley you will feel a lead/cable there, it's a simple clip type connection. It's there to cut the fuel pumps when the engine stops running. It's the only cable going to that area so just reach back there and feel around, you'll find it. With that removed your pumps should run with the ignition on, it's the best was to check. I'll try and find a picture for you
Old 03-19-2010, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Infidel

Ok, do you see the electrical connection in the middle here? At the back, directly under the letter H of wrench
Old 03-19-2010, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Infidel

here's another shot, see the turquoise/blue electrical connection between the metering plate and fuel head?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
THANK YOU SIR!! the damn filter was blocking it(and thats inspite not having the airbox anymore!. I will see what happens!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
disconnected, ignition on, only cdi humming
connected, ignition on, only cdi humming

found front fuel pump relay, i assume rear red relay is for rear pump? different numbers on the relays though.
should I switch relays around?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Infidel

Yes, try the different relays, one is for your aircon, others are for other stuff, heater fans etc. Look on the inside of your front fuse cover and see which ones are which, just so you know which ones are for the fuel pumps. With that lead disconnected both pumps will run, and they will be very audible
Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
that's exactly what happened to me when i installed my DWUR!! My unit "froze up" in the lean position whilst I pulled over to get gas...

Basically, it was stuck in a position that caused my CP to remain at about 6 BAR. This was way too lean to get started. I was able to turn my idle mixture screw clockwise enough to "force" the plunger down and force some fuel/air into the system... Started the car and cruised home...

Have sense removed the DWUR in favor of the BL adjustable WUR. Much happier now...

I would recommend you checking your CP. You can do this [with the DWUR] with your laptop... My bet is your DWUR is locked up...
Old 03-19-2010, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Infidel

If his pumps aren't running with the lead disconnected and the ignition on, then his relay is shot, or his pumps are shot. You may well have issues with your digi WUR, but you need to hear those pumps running first
Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
no noise with cable off. checked fuse #16 which controls the pump relay and its good.
I hope its not the DWUR, been reading what happened with yours and I got mine nearly at the same time.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Infidel

Have you tried a different relay yet? If you can't get the pumps running with that lead disconnected then your car will never run, regardless of any other problems. You can test your relays by finding the one that runs the fans, and with the fans running take the relay out and try the other relays in there, if they all make the fans run then your relays are good.
Then you need to check the supply to your pumps, connections etc.

As i have said a few times, with that lead disconnected, and the ignition on (lights lit up on the dash so you know the immobilizer isn't on), those pumps SHOULD be running, if not then no matter what the problem is, it won't run anyway as you won't have any fuel.

Do you have an alarm with an immobilizer?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Maybe the overboost relay? Check out this thread:
Yellow Relay Revisited.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
i switched the fuel pump relay in front with one from the parking lights and nothing, havent tried switching the engine compartment red relay yet

I have a key slot in the door for the alarm and a vehicle code in front hood says it came with one but none of my keys work the slot so Ive never messed with it
Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Infidel

Good shout above, but first check that you know the fuel pump relay is good.

Then try putting a wire between 30 to 87a on the yellow relay

Pic here

Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBL930 View Post
If his pumps aren't running with the lead disconnected and the ignition on, then his relay is shot, or his pumps are shot. You may well have issues with your digi WUR, but you need to hear those pumps running first
Sorry, I didn't realize he figured out his pumps weren't running... you're right, gotta have pumps before you have any type of CP....
Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
switched relays that I know work to fuel pump relay site, no pump noise with fuel head cable off. Switched one of the working relays(black) for the red relay in engine bay, no pump noise and never start
?????
Both fuel pumps bad at the same time? or does my car have only one pump?
doesnt even smell like gas in the engine bay after all the times ive tried to start her. I know my bus would smell if fuel was getting in but I shes carburated ..........
Old 03-19-2010, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: