Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Looking for installed front cooler duct pics

I'm about to install the Elephant racing RS/RSR front cooler duct in my 930, and it doesn't look like a simple cut and fit affair. On the initial test fit, it looks like it could fit several ways, with or without the flanges.

ELEPHANT RACING Oil Cooler Ducting

Does anyone have pics of the fitted duct?

TIA
Old 03-27-2010, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I recently did this and if I did it again I would probably do it differently.

Here is what I found when fitting the duct to my 1982 SC tub.
- I installed it with the rear bottom flange of the duct on the outside of the floor pan. I cut the floor pan leaving a similar length flange in front of the suspension cross member and overlapped the 2 flanges.
- I installed the side bottom flanges on the outside of the floor pan, cutting the floor pan very close to the side verticle parts of the duct - again overlapping the floor pan on the flanges of the air duct.
- I could not get the 2 side, vertical flanges to fit properly - they protruded too far out the front of the tub (~15mm). I was originally planning on having these on the inside of the however I would had had to move the duct rearwards - however the suspension cross member prevented this. Therefore I cut the 2 side, verticle flanges off.
- The front top flange did not follow the countour of the tub. I placed this flange on the inside of the tub and found that both of the front top corners needed to be reshaped toward the rear. I tried clamping this to force the tub to follow the contour of the duct but this did not work. As I had already removed the side flanges, I cut a small "V" shape in the duct, about 2" long, right below the ends of the front top flange. I then reshaped the flange rearward and re- welded the flange to the duct.

If I was going to do this again I would do exactly the same with the rear bottom flange and the side bottom flanges however I would cut the front of the tub to be very neat with the front top and front side profiles of the duct. I would then leave the flanges of the duct sticking out of the front of the tub and stitch weld the tub directly to the duct - ignoring the front top and side flanges. I would then trim the flanges off the duct - once it is stitched to the tub and butt weld the top and sides of the duct to the tub.

Here are spme pictures that may help you.

I hope this helps.

Richard.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley911 View Post
I hope this helps.

Richard.

Many thanks for the pics and info, this really helps!

Win
Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I installed mine w/o any ducting at all and it works great. I left an inch space between the back of the cooler and the tub. Unless you have so many ponies (i.e 500+) requiring the extra air flow... an inch is enough. M2C.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
I installed mine w/o any ducting at all and it works great. I left an inch space between the back of the cooler and the tub. Unless you have so many ponies (i.e 500+) requiring the extra air flow... an inch is enough. M2C.
Just initial prep work to run a single, center mount front with the new engine build, which will be 500+ RWHP.

Had to replace the front pan anyway, so while I was in there............
Old 03-28-2010, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
MEMBER # 930

Top notch Workmanship !!!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage

It was not too bad an install I welded mine in place.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: