Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Happiest when Tinkering

I want to vent my gas tank back to the motor

How do I vent my gas tank back to the motor without pressurizing it while under boost? Thanks I was thinking of using a vacuum check valve and hooking it into the brake booster line cause I cant seem to find the hard line that goes to the engine compartment from up front.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me

Last edited by gsmith660; 03-30-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Nobody can give me any insight? I never had any gas smell until I did all these mods
Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

The newer US cars have that. The hoses, the carbon canister and everything. I think it vents to the air filter housing on the clean side of the filter. The pressure loss across the filter is enough to draw the vapor in.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The small fabric braided vacuum gas tank vent line comes out into the left front fender and goes to an expansion tank that's mounted right above the winsheild washer tank.
Then it goes back into the front hood area through the inner fender well and eventually goes down in front of the drivers feet behind the pedal cluster and goes to a metal line that runs the length of the center tunnel.
Then another vacuum line picks up from there (you can see it up there right in between the transmission mount area and the floor pan) and if you're under the car you'll see the small cotton braided vacuum line going along the bottom of the car along with other cables and wire harnesses and it will go up to the passenger side rear wheel well where it goes to a charcoal cannister.
From there a larger line goes through the inner fender well and attaches to the back of the air cleaner housing.
It presses onto a metal fitting on the back of the metal air cleaner housing. Reach back there and press it on the fitting as you're halfway through installing the air cleaner housing.

If your car is in a garage you'll smell gas sometimes if it's not hooked up.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Mine never had any of this hooked up I see the line that goes to the front fender. I guess the question I have is how does the 930 do this without pressurizing the gas tank does it suck the gas vapors through the compressor.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
Old 03-31-2010, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I think you meant creating vacuum. The line goes to the airbox which is before the turbo so it does not create pressure.

JFairman, thanks for explaining. gssmith, thanks for bringing this up since I need to hook up the lines also.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

I have none of this as the pic shows but I think I understand I need the overflow tank and the charcoal canister then somehow hook it into my air cleaner circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
The small fabric braided vacuum gas tank vent line comes out into the left front fender and goes to an expansion tank that's mounted right above the winsheild washer tank.
Then it goes back into the front hood area through the inner fender well and eventually goes down in front of the drivers feet behind the pedal cluster and goes to a metal line that runs the length of the center tunnel.
Then another vacuum line picks up from there (you can see it up there right in between the transmission mount area and the floor pan) and if you're under the car you'll see the small cotton braided vacuum line going along the bottom of the car along with other cables and wire harnesses and it will go up to the passenger side rear wheel well where it goes to a charcoal cannister.
From there a larger line goes through the inner fender well and attaches to the back of the air cleaner housing.
It presses onto a metal fitting on the back of the metal air cleaner housing. Reach back there and press it on the fitting as you're halfway through installing the air cleaner housing.

If your car is in a garage you'll smell gas sometimes if it's not hooked up.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Anybody got a pic of where it hooks up in the trunk to go back to the engine compartment? please thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Plumb it into the air intake air filter assembly that you are running and it will be fine.

914 6 Turbo twinplug 3.12
87 924S
Lexus SC400
Lexus LS400
Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchappy View Post
Plumb it into the air intake air filter assembly that you are running and it will be fine.
You mean with the expansion tank and charcoal canister right?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: