Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone?
- '78 928 - Silver - Long gone
- '04 Subaru WRX wagon - Sold
Old 06-24-2011, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk911SC View Post

Before I dismantled, I set the engine for TDC using the crank pulley marker. Camshaft keyways are pointing straight up. I put light scratch marks across the end of the cams, and the sprockets to align with the pin that is placed in the sprocket. I figured this would allow me to realign everything exactly upon reassembly.

Will I still need to retime the engine once everything is put back together? Engine is still in the car, and access to cylinder #1 is pretty limited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk911SC View Post
Anyone?
Bump! I'm getting ready to perform the same cam box seals replacement and I have the same question as Kirk911SC. If I mark the cams, sprockets, and chains before I remove the sprockets and chains can't I reassemble exactly as removed with the end result being the exact same cam timing as before I started the repair?

Thanks for the help everyone,
Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

You can try it but the little timing pin fits with some clearance slop into the holes in the cam sprocket and the small timing pin toothed gear under it.
You might get lucky and come pretty close but you need the dial gauge and Z block to mount the dial gauge to check it and be sure.. and then you may as well reset the cam timing anyway to get it as close as possible on each side.

It's not difficult at all.
All you're doing is measuring how far the intake valve is open at top dead center before the intake stroke with a dial gauge. It's usually done on cylinder number 1 and number 4.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Scott, I'm with JF. If you do it your way, down the road you'll be asking yourself; "did I do everything right?", especially during that first fire-up. Plus, with all the work in putting everything just so, wouldn't timing the cams take less time than doing it your way?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Wow...old thread. I don't even have the car anymore. Sold it over a year ago, and it's on it's third owner since me. It now resides in Finland!

If it's worth anything, I ended up timing the cams properly with the special tools. I reeeeally wanted to make sure it was setup properly.

[IMG][/IMG]
- '78 928 - Silver - Long gone
- '04 Subaru WRX wagon - Sold

Last edited by Kirk911SC; 11-07-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Old 11-07-2013, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Ok guys I'll read up on timing the cams and the tools needed to do so. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Yeah, you did it by lowering the back of the motor down on a floor jack while it's in the car. I did the same thing back in 2008 and it's run perfect with no oil leaks ever since.
This way is easier and faster than removing the engine and transaxle to do it if thats all you're doing to it.
I put in new cam sprockets, idler sprockets and shafts, master link chains, and chain rails.
I used a black sharpee pen to mark the position of the cam sprocket I decided on at 12 o clock above the number 930 on the end of the camshaft. The cams are welded up and reground to 964 profile by Webcam.

I bought Wayne's engine book, the Sir tools cam holding wrench, analog dial gauge (made in Germany), and Z block for mounting it to the cam tower from pelican parts.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Ok guys I'm finally getting around to doing this project. I went ahead and ordered the tools from Stomski to properly time the cams.

My car is running stock 930 cams. It appears that I can back off all the rocker adjusters before timing the cams vs. having to remove all the rockers. Is this correct?

Also now that I'm in the middle of this I realize how nice the SC cams upgrade would be. By chance does anyone have any SC-spec cams available for sale that they could ship out within the next day or two??!!

Thanks again to everyone who has been there done that with the cam box seal replacements. This is such a PIA job to replace a few seals!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: