Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
The plug needs to be grounded to spark
that sounds ok
did u try priming it by pushing the throttle plate down to run the pumps?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mrtImpreza
It should try and jump to the ground without even touching it and it is very faint. The pumps are definitely working cause you can smell the gas when I try cranking it and you can hear it whirl.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Just because the pimps run doesn't mean you are getting enough gas
what do the plugs look like? Are yhe wet?
Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

They aren't soaked, just alittle wet.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

With re-reading all the posts, you have an unacceptable very weak spark. To give you an idea of a proper spark, after completing some work on my car this winter and buttoning her all up, in the process I pulled the coil wire off from the dizzy cap...and it was just hanging there about an inch from where it should plug in. The car still started and ran, but very rough. So think about it; that spark had to jump across 1" of air and then down another inch through the cap to make contact. If you are seeing spark weakly only when the wire is within almost touching distance of ground, your spark energy is pure crap. Put some gas and combustion chamber compression into the equation, and your plugs won't fire. Your plugs are wet....they don't have to drip raw fuel when you take them out to be too wet. If they look wet, they are wet, which says you are not firing spark to detonate the fuel.

Go through all electrical connections associated with the ignition system, remove and clean and re-attach. Check spark again. If/when corrected, you may want to put in new plugs since yours might now be fouled beyond use.

Sorry, but I can't tell you how to trouble shoot your CDI unit. If it's working correctly, and if your coil isn't shot and/or bad connections, you should get one hell of a spark. If you know someone with a 930, talk him out of swapping parts to narrow down the offending member.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I definitely plan on changing out the plugs and wires. Could it be a bad coil pack?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Alright finally got enough time to change out the coil. After I did that I reconnected the battery and went to go start it and still won't turn over. It cranks fast but just won't turn over. I checked for spark to see if it got better since I changed the coil and now I have nothing. I went from having a little spark to nothing at all. What the hell could be wrong with this car???
Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
The simple things are what frustrates us the most.

No spark - Make sure you have +12VDC at the + coil terminal when the key is on. If you do not have at least +12VDC, you have a power issue, just trace the line back toward the battery until you get power (oh, and make sure your battery is putting out over 12VDC).

If you do have power on the + terminal of the coil, check the other side to see if it is "pulsing" when the engine is turning over. This will be a signal that goes from 0VDC (ground) to some level depending on the ignition you have. If you don't have this pulse, it is an ignition issue and you should change out the CDI box, Permatune, ignition module or whatever you have. If there is a pulse, you have a bad spark distribution process. Look for a bad rotor (my guess), bad plug wires, bad plug connectors, or fouled plugs.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 04-25-2010, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

To elaborate on one of the suggestion regarding the rotation of the fuse before getting a current- I had an intermmitent problem on my 3 litre Turbo for a long tieme. Every now and then the one fuel pump would not kick in, so had to bypass relay. Checked fuse, holder, connection, all was fine., and I blamed the immobiliser.

Eventually a fine corrosion spot on top connector was noted, very difficult to see and in spite of having sanded the copper back in the course of diagnosing the issue, it seems the corrosion kept coming back to the same contact spot. The fact I sanded it may have added to this pre dispostion to it coming back ( we have a lot of moss and spores in the area I live in and the car stood for long periods.

Surpised that it never stopped the car whilst I was driving though,

I have heard of cars, not only Porsches, having fues boxes replaced if they are old, so this transient corrosion may be a source of more issues than one would imagine
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I checked the voltage at the battery and I have exactly 12 volts and when it's cranking, it goes down to 9 volts but that all seems right.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Just wanted to let everyone know that the lady is back in business. She's running beautiful now. Come to find out, the coil went and that fried my control module so those are replaced and all good

Old 09-18-2010, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: