Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
porsher

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66cal912 View Post
Be sure to match each cv star with the spline to each original axle shaft spline or you ll have a very hard time sliding them on once greased and the cussing will begin..:-)
Can someone explain this a little more.

I just pulled everything apart without noting orientation.

I'd rather not find out the hard way

ker-chunk, just engaged my brain

this prob applies to reassembing the CV, I just slid it off the shaft but kept the joint intact.

Last edited by aston@ultrasw.c; 06-09-2013 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: engage brain
Old 06-09-2013, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

That's the first time I heard there's a star next to one of the splines to line up. There's no star next to a female spline on the replacement CV's that I remember seeing when I replaced all 4 of mine with new Lobro CV's and boots some years ago.
Don't remember seeing one on the ones I removed either but I don't have them anymore so can't look to see.

I tapped the old ones off with a brass hammer and used a big lead shot filled deadblow hard rubber hammer to tap the new ones on. Then put the snap ring in the groove and didn't have any trouble with it.

Cutting one of those cardboard tubes of Swepco Moly grease Pelican sells for a grease gun into 4 equal length sections by sawing at it with a large sharp knife works out to be the right amount of grease to pack into 4 CV joints.
Don't pack any into the boot, just fill the CV joint completely and work it into the balls and grooves with your fingers, and pivot the center part of the CV around with the axle shaft inserted partway into the splines so the balls, grooves, and cage are completely coated and filled with grease.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
By CV star I meant the inner CV piece that captures the balls, the piece with the female splines, which engages the axle shafts male splines. It only seemed happy to one position on the axle shaft being both used parts. easiest before disaassembly is to center punch a mark on the inner cv piece and shaft to note clocking. sorry for the confusion.
Ben
Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Is there a direct link to the Mckensies site, I can't find it. I need to replace the boots on my '79 930. I don't even see the boots listed for a '79 on Pelican.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: