Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Freak

Garage
Question What is the best kind of CV boot to buy?

I was spring cleaning under the 930 and noticed the CV boot is broken at the wheel and there was grease all over the place. I don't think it was broken too long, but there is a little bit of debris in there. I hope I didn't mess that CV joint up.

What is the best CV boot, a Rein Automotive or a GKN Leobro ?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The off-road boots are the best by far.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have replaced mine with Pelican's = no problem. Don't recall the specific brand but look at the catalog. Messy job!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Where do you get them from?

Quote:
The off-road boots are the best by far.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

One thing I would do when installing the boot is install half of one of those red straws of a can of brake cleaner, etc. This let's the boot breath and prevents it from popping.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I replaced my boots with the GKN Leobro's from Pelican.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
One thing I would do when installing the boot is install half of one of those red straws of a can of brake cleaner, etc. This let's the boot breath and prevents it from popping.
I know you have given me this advice on a previous post. I have replaced torn boots almost every 2 seasons and I do a few DE events and street driving.

Question: is it the heat they see in the joint from severe operation or what that causes these to tear so often? Are you are saying that pressure builds inside the joint that causes them to burst or expand and rub in some way?

I was thinking that the suspension traveling to extreme positions put the cv joint folds in contact with one another and eventually tears. I was hoping this would solve my problem now that I have installed heavier torsion bars and limited the suspension travel now.

Where can someone purchase the off-road cv boots?
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Oh really?! I'm thinking the reason it broke is when my axle came loose last year, I cleaned everything out and repacked it with grease. Maybe I put too much grease in there and it caused too much pressure on the boot?

Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
elvision930

Garage
I bought complete shafts from pelican last year and replaced them both. Too much play on the last set. Someone said I was up for a nightmare mess trying to fix all 4 axles and boots. So I decided against that idea. Bought the GKN Leobro's instead of the OEM one's. Half the cost. One of the sales reps here said they are identical except for the branding.

As far as off road boots... not sure if they sell them on pelican. Probably. Best bet. I also saw them on ebay. (hope I can say that) if not.... ooops. Some one please tell me and I will refrain.

Hope this helps.

Anyways... i like the sound of the off road boots. I think you an get the off road axle kits too.

Probably a good idea if you notice they break down that often.

Here is a funny bit. Went to the locate Porsche dealership. Was quoted $3,000 to replaced both shafts. I did it myself for about $715.00Cdn. Funny....

Last edited by elvision930; 04-06-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Old 04-06-2010, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I also installed new half shafts for about $500. and it took approx. 4 hours rather than mess with repacking the boots.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

There is a big difference between the origonal Lobro CV joints that were made to Porsche specs 21 years ago and have a Porsche part number on them and the current GKN Lobro aftermarket CV's you buy now... and the EMPI CV joints for you see on ebay for dune buggies are total garbage.
Then there's one more that will fit, GKN lobro CV joints for BMW 7 series.

If you take an origonal Lobro Porsche CV joint from the late eightee's and look at it next to a current new GKN Lobro joint for a Porsche you'll see the steel alloy is a darker grey color and they are usually still tighter with over 100,000 miles on them than a new GKN Lobro joint.

GKN bought Lobro some years ago and the quality went down.

The dune buggy joints made by EMPI that you see on ebay are made to looser tolerances from the factory because they run at much greater angles for the off road dune buggy ground clearance.
Talk to people that have used them and they say they are made of butter. Total junk.

I don't know about the chinese or whatever CV joint boots for off road buggies but I'd be surprised if they as good or are any better rubber than new, fresh rubber lobro boots.

The BMW 7 series CV joints made by GKN lobro are made to looser tolerances than the ones they make for Porsche and those are the ones most Dune buggy guys use because thery are alot stronger that the cheap EMPI joints you see on ebay.
Call the guy at EMPI, he'll tell you the same thing.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

So Jim, are new factory CV's good to go, or have they gone down hill as well?

I had my axles replaced a few years ago when I didn't have time. I'm sure they came from WorldPac, but not sure who made them. Anyway, after a couple seasons of track use, they are already pitted. They didn't last near as long as the originals.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I don't know.
Seems if you could find a dealer with new old stock CV's that were made before GKN took over Lobro they would be the really good ones.
The older OEM ones have the little Porsche part emblem and a Porsche part number.

If you go to the dealer and CV's they bring out have only the same GKN Lobro part number as the ones sold here on pelican and everywhere else than they are probably the same ones.
They aren't bad but like alot of the other replacement parts we get these days, they aren't as good as the parts that came in our cars origonally.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Where do you get them from?

Dune buggy.com has them. Most dune buggies use 930 shafts anyway but with these durable boots.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

37.50 each... what a deal.

DuneBuggy.com - 930 Centerboard CV Boot

whats so great about these?

Pelican sells the whole GKN lobro CV kit with boot, clamps, and grease for $80.75
Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I saw $20.00, $37.50 and $47.50 for boots. Holy cow! Bought my last set for about $8 each, which included the boot, grease, bands, etc.

Which reminds me, the grease in the kits is worthless. Stuff turns to a watery soup in short order, so I think it's better to use something else. People on the racing forum have mentioned Neo and one other brand. Both pricey, but worth it
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Amsoil synthetic grease is what Raxles.com company uses.
Quality outfit with a good track record, IMHO.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey all,

Did all 4 of my boots with the kits from another parts house{Performance Auto.....}, and yes buy the little band crimp tool while your at it, easy greasy job.

Used good moly CV grease to repack {not over pack}.

Did not know about, or use, the little straw tube trick, but have 60K miles on them without any problems, so.......maybe not an issue for a street car.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 01-13-2012 at 08:55 AM..
Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Do not over pack....... so there is such a thing as too much grease.
I guess they need room to move, and there fore air to compress.
Last I checked grease does not compress too well.

How much should be put inside the boot? The Hanes manual says "a small amount", but that's a vague statement. I am currently putting mine together, and my main concern is grease starvation.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Fill the cvs and balls up entirely and have the grease be level with the flat face of the cv. Be sure to use new gaskets on both sides of the cvs and clean the contact surface for the gaskets with brake cleaner. Then the glue on the gaskets will seal. For the boots I used offroad 930s from mckenzies.com use swepco cv grease, it has the moly for extreme pressures. Use 3 m weather strip adhesive and glue the boots to the rings then secure boots with narrow german hose clamps from pelican or high quality zipties. The steel clamps from the factory are to small in circumference to fit around the offroad boots. Just did a full refresh on my 930 axles last fall with 55k miles the cvs were like new. Be sure to match each cv star with the spline to each original axle shaft spline or you ll have a very hard time sliding them on once greased and the cussing will begin..:-)

Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: