Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Engine jewelry

Look what I get to do this weekend - put my own motor back together. I freshened it up over the winter after I had excessive leakdown on #2 cylinder.

Here is my case which I split, inspected the bearings, oil pump, intermediate shaft and so on. The main and rod bearings looked new. Those are ARP head studs and a Clewett distributor hole plug.

These are the JB Racing cylinders with the JE pistons already installed. I am using Total Seal rings and on the cylinder on the right, you can see the fire ring sitting on its groove (not installed). That is some pretty cross-hatching you can barely see in this pic. I will not remove the pistons to install the wrist pins and assemble the piston and rods. There is just enough room to pull the piston down and do everything while it sits in the cylinder. However, I hate installing the wrist pin clips regardless.

I just got the heads back from being freshened up by Xtreme Cylinder Heads. The intake valves are stainless with 8mm stems and the exhaust valves are inconel with 8mm stems. On the head on the right, you can see that I welded the air-port (emissions port) closed. You can also see that the heads are shaved (by the previous owner) to bump the compression. Obviously, the fire ring is sitting on the head too. I had custom JE pistons made which does this more effectively with a slight dome profile. The springs are Xtreme's race springs (120lb) with their titanium retainers.

This is a shot of the intake port but it is a better pic of the valve stem radius and guide work. Very cool...

Here is the exhaust port showing the stem radius and a smaller port than the intake (exhaust gas velocity).

As the motor goes together, I'll take more pics to show the progress. I hope to have the car running next weekend, but that might be a bit aggressive working solo.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
beancounter

Nice photos Don.

What was the cause of your excessive leakdown on #2?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That's sweeeeeet !!!!
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
Nice photos Don.

What was the cause of your excessive leakdown on #2?
Crappy rings - excessive wear. And I don't remember the brand.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nice looking Don!

Are those your original JB cylinders just cleaned and honed? Look pretty clean.

What were your typical leakdown numbers with this P&C setup?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Did the cylinders come to you with the pistons installed?
If you don't take the pistons out you have no idea where the ring gaps are and you'll never get oil into the compression ring lands from the top or botttom.

I have a set of brand new Mahle 3.3 pistons and cylinders from a sealed box and I removed a piston from one of the cylinders just to see it and look at the amazingly perfect machine work on a new 930 mahle piston.
The factory installed ring gaps were all lined up in a row, just how you don't want them.. and skwirting oil on the top or bottom with the piston installed in the cylinder will not wet the compression ring lands with oil.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Don, Just wondering if you thought of having threaded inserts installed so you may safely torque the heads down to the ARP spec?
Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

...drooooooool.....
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

I had a couple hours today so I thought I would start working on the motor. Cleaning, prepping and installing took about an hour.

Tomorrow, the heads, cam towers, and cams go on. Most likely, I'll have the cams timed and the rockers done too.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinRice View Post
Nice looking Don!

Are those your original JB cylinders just cleaned and honed? Look pretty clean.

What were your typical leakdown numbers with this P&C setup?
The aluminum fins are the originals - they still have my cylinder number stamped on them, but they look brand new. JB told me they are using a different sleeve alloy and said these are their latest (at no charge even though they had to cut new fire ring grooves). They recommended Total Seal rings for the new alloy and I paid for that.

All other cylinders had 2 - 3% leakdown on a warm motor.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Did the cylinders come to you with the pistons installed?
If you don't take the pistons out you have no idea where the ring gaps are and you'll never get oil into the compression ring lands from the top or botttom.

I have a set of brand new Mahle 3.3 pistons and cylinders from a sealed box and I removed a piston from one of the cylinders just to see it and look at the amazingly perfect machine work on a new 930 mahle piston.
The factory installed ring gaps were all lined up in a row, just how you don't want them.. and skwirting oil on the top or bottom with the piston installed in the cylinder will not wet the compression ring lands with oil.
Mike at JB offered to install the pistons for me because he has experience with the Total Seal rings, so he set the gaps and measured the ring groove side-to-side clearance too. They also sent my wrist pins out for a lubrication coating and machined the wrist pin bosses in the pistons for a good float fit. Classy operation.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmisquez View Post
Don, Just wondering if you thought of having threaded inserts installed so you may safely torque the heads down to the ARP spec?
According to two engine builders I follow, as well as ARP's recommendation, there is no need for inserts if the head nuts are torqued to 36 ft lbs. I've had this motor apart nearly every winter for the past 4 years with no head stud issues.

This year was the lowest cost to freshen the motor. The heads are like new (all guides measured and replaced if needed, valves and seats lapped, bead blasted, springs checked), cylinders are new (new steel alloy used, new rings), coated wrist pins, original JE pistons, a rebuild kit from EBS and my time to disassemble and reassemble. All the machine work, parts and shipping cost less than $2000. Like every other year, I should be able to put it back in the car, start it up (do a 20 min break in at 2000 rpm) and drive away.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Nice work! You took apart this engine every winter?!? It's getting easy for you now isn't it?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Wow!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD94 View Post
Nice work! You took apart this engine every winter?!? It's getting easy for you now isn't it?
Yep - it's to the point I can recognize individual fasteners. My roll around tool chest has 99% of the tools I need to work on this thing. My favorite tools are my 1/4in sockets in shallow, medium and deep, hex and so on. Tough to over-torque using the small stuff.

Last edited by DonE; 04-09-2010 at 07:06 PM..
Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

It was a beautiful day with lots of sun, so I didn't spend much time in my garage. The heads are on, piston to valve clearance checked, deck height checked, cam towers on, cams in. cam chain boxes on.

Side shot. Plenty of cam lube too.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Don, you should get a web cam in that garage, and I could toggle between the Masters and your re-assembly. Keep em coming.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Late yesterday, I timed the cams, but that's all I did since the weather is phenomenal here. This morning, I installed all the rockers and set the valve lash. You can't beat setting the lash on an engine stand. Once that was done, things start going together pretty fast. The intake, TB, injectors are all one assembly then I'll install the engine tin. The IC is installed after the motor is installed.

After work tomorrow, the motor will be ready to join to the tranny. Here is a shot of my Marco Manzie equal length headers. To install the headers, turbo and muffler takes 20 minutes, start to finish. The exhaust is the last step in the process because I don't want all that weight hanging off two bolts on an engine stand while I work on other stuff.

Once the motor and tranny are joined it's about 3 hours until I can turn the key.

Last edited by DonE; 04-11-2010 at 05:49 PM..
Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
Don,
Great job. When are we going to see your mug at a DE?
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 04-11-2010, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnat View Post
Don,
Great job. When are we going to see your mug at a DE?
I think I am changing jobs in the next couple weeks. If so, I'll be at the next one. I will be selling the car, so it will not be on the track. Hope you're doing well and hope to see you there, Mr. Black Flag....

C ya
Old 04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: