Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
930porsche

Transmission oil type?

On 930 what type of transmission fluid should I use when changing oil? Your recommendation will be very helpful.

Thank you.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you don't mind the price swepco 201 is very good and seems to be the usual internet flavor of the month.

plain old inexpensive nothing fancy non synthetic valvoline GL5 is also very good and thats what everybody including the race teams used back in the seventies and eightees.

it doesn't have to have green, blue, or red dye in it to work.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
930porsche

Transmission Oil type

JFairman, no I do not mind about the price. How much do I need for a total oil change?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A gallon or 4 quarts.

You'll have around 4 or 5 ounces left over when the transaxle is filled to the bottom edge of the fill port with the car level.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
930porsche

Transmision oil type

JFairman,

Thank you for responding so promptly.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
How about Redline 80-90 GL5 synthetic?

I have had good results in VW and Audi transmissions with their GL4 synthetic.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"I wuz the liquor..."

Yep, Swepco 201, is all I have ever used. And you'll have a bit left over if you buy the gallon size (I always get it from our host). Also, be sure you loosen the fill plug on the tranny case first, before the drain plug! Sure would suck to drain the fluid, only to find out the fill plug is seized/galled and you can't drive the effin' car!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 04-08-2010 at 02:37 PM..
Old 04-08-2010, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurkraut View Post
How about Redline 80-90 GL5 synthetic?

I have had good results in VW and Audi transmissions with their GL4 synthetic.
Synthetic gear oil is good for the gearsets and bearings but the Porsche steel synchros don't work well with it and they will wear out faster if you use it.

I've used Redline synthetic GL4 for limited slip diffs in BMW differentials with a ZF limited slip carrier that is exactly like the Porsche unit only smaller with only 2 clutch rings instead of 4 and that worked fine, and I've used Redline MTL in BMW transmissions and it worked really well, but BMW Getrag transmissions have used Borg Warner brass cone type synchro rings since 1972 or earlier in the 2002 and synthetic is fine with those synchros just like its fine in the Porsche Getrag G50 transaxles with brass Borg Warner synchros.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Don't know if this will help you out........

Ultimate Transmission Oil Thread
Old 04-08-2010, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Synthetic gear oil is good for the gearsets and bearings but the Porsche steel synchros don't work well with it and they will wear out faster if you use it.

[snip]
Synthetic lube doesn't work in these old things mainly because the synchros weren't designed for the lubricity synthetic offers. The synchros don't wear out - they need some small amount of friction to work and synthetic does not allow it (they seem like the wear out because shifting becomes very poor).

I use SWEPCO 210 which is 90w140 I think. I use it because it works and I haven't had to rebuild or work on my tranny even with the HP I have and all the DE's I've done.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If your car is a 89 or with a g50 swepco is not recomended
Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

The porsche steel synchro rings and brake bands will wear faster using synthetic because they will be slipping more and not gripping smoothly and engaging if you use them... and time adds up.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: