Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certified User

Garage
There is no way I am going to tempt fate by buying into this discussion.
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 04-11-2010, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjam View Post
There is no way I am going to tempt fate by buying into this discussion.
Looked at your sig and saw you have a LC1. How'd you wire it up? Was there enough cable for the O2 sensor to reach the gauge panel or did you need a longer cable?

My car still drives me nuts! First, I need to break in the turbo with little or no boost according to Kevin at UMW. Then I still need to break in the motor. After that, I need to break in the motor on the Weissach.
14 535i M Sport
Old 04-11-2010, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
It's hooked up... To ground.
I figured someone would say that...
Old 04-11-2010, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
Looked at your sig and saw you have a LC1. How'd you wire it up? Was there enough cable for the O2 sensor to reach the gauge panel or did you need a longer cable?
I don't really want to hijack this thread, but I can't find another one where I posted this info about a year ago so I can link to it.
I put the LC1 in the LH rear and I had to extend the wiring by about a metre to reach the LMA-3 under the RH seat.
It all works fine now. It was a b!tch to get it working properly, but I got there in the end with some help from Innovate tech guys.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by billjam; 04-11-2010 at 06:07 AM..
Old 04-11-2010, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Bill,
I'm always impressed with the quality of your diagrams and wiring harnesses/electronics. Nice work! Now as to that device shown with Red arrow, is that a "panic button" and if so, where can I get one?!

Sorry for the off topic.

But to relate, I took my car for a drive in this cool turbo-happy weather only to find after my return home that the Kokeln IC's rear support bracket had found a way to remove itself from the IC. This resulted in the IC rubbing against the shroud of the tail, leaving scratches on the IC.

Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-11-2010, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Bill,
I'm always impressed with the quality of your diagrams and wiring harnesses/electronics. Nice work! Now as to that device shown with Red arrow, is that a "panic button" and if so, where can I get one?!
Thanks for your kind comments Dave. Writing manuals is a large part of my job, so it's second nature for me to get a bit carried away with this stuff sometimes.
The panic button is for the O2 sensor calibration.
The real panic button is here ...

Old 04-11-2010, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Thanks, Bill!
14 535i M Sport
Old 04-11-2010, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Verde

Garage
If you sell the Porsche and buy an italian sports car to minimize your frustration you will someday look back on the Turbo and recall the peace and tranquility it provided you

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPOZZZ View Post
I'm with you guys! My turbo drives me nuts. It has been down since January 2009 at a friends shop for a motor rebuild. I bought the car and it had 2k on a rebuild from another mechanic and it turned out to be a crap job, thus the new rebuild. So many corners were cut it wasn't funny! Motor was buttoned up in Feb and the turbo blows a seal. UMW rebuilds the turbo and the car is buttoned up again and run. Seems everything is fine, then the next day it starts smoking like crazy! New scavenge tank installed and she runs a little rough as plugs are fouled, but leaving them in as I need to get the turbo run in and oil burned out of the heat exchangers.

I was ready to get rid of all the Porsches and buy a Ferrari or Maserati due to the frustration. I drove her around the block on Wed, a few miles on Thursday and will put some miles on her later today. After driving her, the frustration is all gone...except I can't get on boost for another 70 miles. Now this is FRUSTRATING!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Bill,

Great diagram/pix. Anything that helps us fix these cars running right is a big help. The directions from Innovate were less than helpful, but the guys at Innovate helped out.

Last edited by A930Rocket; 04-11-2010 at 04:53 PM..
Old 04-11-2010, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Rocket, it has been five years since my car really ran right. All the so called experts at building these engines have gotten me nothing but a hole in my bank account. When the car is right though, it is so right.
first AND SECOND!! EFI build by John Truman $40K plus 2 set of Mahle from EBS too much timing
third EFI build by Dave Brown$30K plus new Mahle and JE pistons bad harness (I paid Truman for a harness, then SpeedWerks, and finally Motec got it right so I spent 12k for a 3K harness, of course everyone can do it why do you need to have Motec do it?)
fourth rebuild By SpeedWerks ???? Andy at SpeedWerks is trying to make this right, stay tuned. At least is has never left me stranded, it does not usually start to get out of my garage. The times it has run it has been awesome, Drake from Motec did a great job on the tuning (oh I forgot about the cost of tuning and dyno time four times).
Getting a car that will one day be right... Priceless... no really, literally Priceless
There is a Master Card commercial for ya.
So far well over 100K not including the car. Ok so some of the expense was the suspension and the custom G50/50, seats etc., etc. but really I have been footing the bill to have the car done and redone and there is no more left to do it again so after this if it isn't right, the wife is going to have her way... she'll have to go. The car that is.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker

Last edited by SCHNELE; 04-12-2010 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: forgot some **** in my rant
Old 04-12-2010, 12:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Not to mention I have shipped my car so many times, they have an enclosed trailer running around somewhere with my name and a picture of my car as a frequent flyer.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNELE View Post
Rocket, it has been five years since my car really ran right. All the so called experts at building these engines have gotten me nothing but a hole in my bank account. When the car is right though, it is so right.
first AND SECOND!! EFI build by John Truman $40K plus 2 set of Mahle from EBS too much timing
third EFI build by Dave Brown$30K plus new Mahle and JE pistons bad harness (I paid Truman for a harness, then SpeedWerks, and finally Motec got it right so I spent 12k for a 3K harness, of course everyone can do it why do you need to have Motec do it?)
fourth rebuild By SpeedWerks ???? Andy at SpeedWerks is trying to make this right, stay tuned. At least is has never left me stranded, it does not usually start to get out of my garage. The times it has run it has been awesome, Drake from Motec did a great job on the tuning (oh I forgot about the cost of tuning and dyno time four times).
Getting a car that will one day be right... Priceless... no really, literally Priceless
There is a Master Card commercial for ya.
So far well over 100K not including the car. Ok so some of the expense was the suspension and the custom G50/50, seats etc., etc. but really I have been footing the bill to have the car done and redone and there is no more left to do it again so after this if it isn't right, the wife is going to have her way... she'll have to go. The car that is.
Lincoln,
Really sorry to hear about all the problems with tuners. No one, I mean NO ONE, deserves this kind of grief.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-12-2010, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Lincoln, that sucks buddy. I've got about $50k into mine, with me doing 90% of the work. I've resisted going EFI or too hard far on the edge for reliability issues. With me working on it, I know I have to keep it simple. And that seems to help with longevity.

Good luck getting back on the road!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Never own a hot rod, that you have to depend on to get to work!

Mark
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Mark, I have about 1200 new cars at work to chose from to drive everyday so no problem there. I just don't have the time for the frustration and lies from tuners, hollow promises, if I ran my business like this I would be one of the cancelled stores, but that is another issue. I am currently showing love to the Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie, awesome truck if you have the need for that sort of transportation.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Wow Lincoln. You put a lot of $$ into the tuner's pockets. I'd hate that...I hope you will get everything right for a reasonable amount with your current tuner/builder.

I'm glad that I do 99% of the work on my 930 myself. The only problem is I'm slow getting it done.

Rocket,
Have you taken your 930 for a "long" spin yet? Are you getting out of tracking your car? How stock are you bringing your car up to (or is that down to)?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Mike,

No longer trips yet. No time.

Track time has been on hold until I start making more money, as I'm looking for work now. Anybody hiring?

Stockwise, I'm just about done taking it where I want it. The stock valence, tail and floor mats have been installed, as well as the passenger seat. I'm too tall to use the driver seat, so I have an old Recaro I'm using vs my ButlerBuilt aluminum seat. I've been using that seat for 11 years and I'm really used to it.

Jim

Quote:
Rocket,

Have you taken your 930 for a "long" spin yet? Are you getting out of tracking your car? How stock are you bringing your car up to (or is that down to)?

Last edited by A930Rocket; 04-12-2010 at 04:07 PM..
Old 04-12-2010, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjam View Post
Thanks for your kind comments Dave. Writing manuals is a large part of my job, so it's second nature for me to get a bit carried away with this stuff sometimes.
The panic button is for the O2 sensor calibration.
The real panic button is here ...

Damn Bill I'm embarassed to show you my beat to hell tracdog when you get here.. Might have to stick with the "date car" LOL
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-12-2010, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: