Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   There are days I want to shoot my car.... (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/535759-there-days-i-want-shoot-my-car.html)

A930Rocket 04-08-2010 03:56 PM

There are days I want to shoot my car....

After replacing the lost injector plug a few weeks ago, I started the car and it sounded fine.

Last weekend, I reinstalled the stock front bumper/valence.

Yesterday I reinstalled the stock seats. Because my race seat was bolted to the floorpan, I had removed the seat rails. This meant I had to install new ones, which I fabbed up. Took about 6 hours to get the drivers seat in. All of the electronics under the seat were removed years ago.

Went to drive the car today, and right after start up, it sounds like crap. The exhaust note is rough, like it's missing. Checked the fuses and relays (the relays are on an inertia switch, which means I don't need all the rear plugs, relays, etc). Pulled each plug wire while running and I can hear it spark against the surrounding metal, RPMs dropped and it runs rougher. Sprayed brake cleaner on all induction fittings, hoses, etc. with no change in RPM.

The only thing I noticed was when I check the wires from the MSD to the CDI plug, the car stumbled then shut off. Did this a couple of times and now it doesn't start. Grrrr.

Guess I'll pop in the stock CDI box, then new spark plugs and see what happens after each change.

I love my car, but every few years, it really tests me...

DonE 04-08-2010 06:52 PM

+1

Noah930 04-08-2010 07:10 PM

Understood. Times like the one you mention, I think of when I first purchased my car. After one week of ownership I told myself that if something were to happen to the car to make it a complete write-off (i.e. fire, theft, meteor strike), it still would have been worthwhile. Of course it's easier to make those declarations when the car's fully insured, but you get the gist.

mark houghton 04-08-2010 07:21 PM

These cars are a love/hate relationship, to be sure. Me, I would find that bad connection at the CDI plug. Something must have wiggled loose or got dirty. Get her running, even roughly, gently tug/wiggle those wires individually to find which one is shutting you down. Funny how it just happens to coincide with taking the seats out.

Or, get her running just well enough to drive off a cliff and be done with it. But be sure to have agreed upon replacement value insurance first.

A930Rocket 04-09-2010 01:24 AM

It's always been a loosing proposition, as I've got way more in it than what it's insured for. As mentioned, it's a love hate relationship.

While working on the seats, I had to rework/shuffle around the wires that were under the drivers seat. Athough they are not connect to anything, maybe there's a link there.

WPOZZZ 04-09-2010 01:39 AM

I'm with you guys! My turbo drives me nuts. It has been down since January 2009 at a friends shop for a motor rebuild. I bought the car and it had 2k on a rebuild from another mechanic and it turned out to be a crap job, thus the new rebuild. So many corners were cut it wasn't funny! Motor was buttoned up in Feb and the turbo blows a seal. UMW rebuilds the turbo and the car is buttoned up again and run. Seems everything is fine, then the next day it starts smoking like crazy! New scavenge tank installed and she runs a little rough as plugs are fouled, but leaving them in as I need to get the turbo run in and oil burned out of the heat exchangers.

I was ready to get rid of all the Porsches and buy a Ferrari or Maserati due to the frustration. I drove her around the block on Wed, a few miles on Thursday and will put some miles on her later today. After driving her, the frustration is all gone...except I can't get on boost for another 70 miles. Now this is FRUSTRATING! :mad:

jwasbury 04-09-2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ (Post 5285331)
I was ready to get rid of all the Porsches and buy a Ferrari or Maserati due to the frustration.

I find it hard to believe that switching from German thoroughbreds to Italians will ease the frustration. A good friend of mine's father traded his turbo Porsche (996t, I believe) +cash for a 550 Maranello. He owned the Ferrari for a few years and it visited the shop often. When the stereo quit working, his father brought it back to the dealership where he bought it and told them to keep it.

MikeD930 04-09-2010 04:24 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles Jim! It's definitely a love/hate relationship.

I hope mine will be fine. I got the seat out to add rubber dampers between the MSD/DME panel to the floor pan and add a WB unit. This is in addition to replacing all brake pads, front rotors, rebuilding turbo, replacing crank pulley, crank seal, rebuilding rear shocks, adding thrust bearings to front coil-over struts among others. Seems like it's 50/50 time working on it versus driving her.

A930Rocket 04-09-2010 04:48 AM

When I do upgrades to the car, I really enjoy working on it. it's when I have to "fix it,", that it I don't enjoy it. And really, I've had to only fix it very few times in 10 years. This is the third time that I go to start the car and it runs like crap. Just out if the blue, it runs like crap/won't start, but this seems to be a common thread between all of us at one time or another.

I never did figure out the 1st time what it was. After checking/cleaning everything and replacing a few parts, it just fired up like it never had a problem. The 2nd time was a bad MSD unit. Hopefully the 3rd time will be easier.

wjfk32 04-09-2010 06:01 AM

Feel your pain!!!!!!!!!

I know the feeling..I didn't drive my car for a very long time and got so disgusted. Now, the car is working well. Keeping fingers crossed..

My advice-Take a step back and walk away before u smash and break something.
Once relaxed..start slow and work your way through it..................
YOU WILL FIND THE ANSWER!!!!!

Good Luck!!!

Walt

LOWFAT 04-09-2010 06:04 AM

The car's act allot like life, one day all is good and the next s***storm. It will all work itself out when you have her pinned at the top of third with a smile on your face!!! You will figure it out.:D

HelmetHead 04-09-2010 06:09 AM

I can symphatize with you... I made a couple of serious rookie mistakes when building and installing my motor two weeks ago... I've installed dozens of motors in assorted vehicles but never mated a Porsche engine to gear box. Well i slipped the throw-out bearing over the shaft on the trans hooked it to the detent arm and bolted the engine up...installed the motor/trans...bolted EVERYTHING together and started to do the clutch...
%**&#%^@(%% WTF()**(#&&$%)% GRRRR *(*^(

2 hours later, I pull out the old assembly from the corner of the garage and look at the wear pattern on the pressure plate and throw-bearing... How ingenious...a clutch that pulls versus pushes to release?!!!? So repeat the tearing out of engine unbolting of cv's, etc, etc...to redo it all again the next day!

The other was the green oil seal that was laying on the oilpump mounting bolt which I moved to spread the loctite 574 stuff on the mating surfaces...I sealed the case halfs late at night and discovered it the next morning! So open the case up again...clean the mess up..get new case bolt o-rings and re-seal the case..

Way I see it, If I do my own work, it may take twice as long, I might get a few cuts, scrapes bruises, it may not work the first time, but BY GOD....if somebody else can do it...why can't I! I've learned an incredible amount about my engine internals and underside of my car and now I have twice the confidence to tear into another one.

Only thing that saved me from having to wipe GSR off the hood and fill some bullet holes was when we got around to firing up the engine Wednesday evening....6 revolutions of the crank at most and it started right up. :D

jwasbury 04-09-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A930Rocket (Post 5285454)
When I do upgrades to the car, I really enjoy working on it. it's when I have to "fix it,", that it I don't enjoy it.

I feel you too Jim.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my 930, sort of. You've had 10 years together, so its different. Your frustration reminds me of how I feel about my Ducati. Bought it new in '95. Its actually been very reliable and I have ridden it hard and put it away wet for 15 years. Over the last few though, it seems like every time I want to ride it, I have to break out the tools. That pisses me off because I just want to ride! I've been close to dragging it to curb and putting a "free to good home" sign on it a couple times.:D

juan ruiz 04-09-2010 09:02 AM

What ever "Pain" you feel multiply that by 100 times more and 100 times worst, that is the pain that some of us has gone in the quest for power with very little reward back :rolleyes: BUT the times that you see that boost gauge peg at 30+ PSI it make it all worthed :D Hang in there and better days will come, maybe walk away from the car for a few days ;)

HelmetHead 04-09-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juan ruiz (Post 5285891)
walk away from the car for a few days ;)

No wonder it took me 8 months to rebuild the motor :rolleyes:

9dreizig 04-09-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HelmetHead (Post 5285894)
No wonder it took me 8 months to rebuild the motor :rolleyes:

hell it's been a month since I've seen that motor sitting in your garage.. I'll be back week after next let me know if you need some help putting that beast in!

HelmetHead 04-09-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9dreizig (Post 5285990)
hell it's been a month since I've seen that motor sitting in your garage.. I'll be back week after next let me know if you need some help putting that beast in!

The motor is finally in! I lolly-gagged way tooo much with house projects both at home and at the lake house.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uFeICslT7JY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uFeICslT7JY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

HelmetHead 04-09-2010 10:19 AM

that "Howard Dean" Screech you hear is as excited as I could get holding the pedal at 2000rpm.

A930Rocket 04-09-2010 11:37 AM

I'd like to say I could walk away from it, but I'm hard headed. Thought about it last night and started to think worse case scenerios. Started on it about 12 PM and by 2 PM, I had it running again. Fiddling with the MSD wires didn't do anything, so I took out the MSD and reinstalled the stock CDI/coil and it started.

It would have been a lot quicker, but I thought I'd clean up the area/wiring and remove the aluminum mounting plate that holds the CDI, relays, fuses, etc. After removing all that and making the wires look pretty. It wouldn''t start again. GRRRRR....

Started installing one by one the relays and found I needed the "Delayed Ignition Cut-Off Relay" installed to make it run. Reinstalled the aluminum mounting plate with all the relays, etc. and it fired right back up. :) I'm not sure if I needed the "Delayed Ignition Cut-Off Relay" with the MSD, because it's always been there. The yellow overboost relay was removed ages ago.

One thing I'll miss is until I get it fixed, is the soft touch rev control.

Anyway, looks like it's fixed, so now I need to start taking it on those tenative trips away from home.

wjfk32 04-09-2010 12:24 PM

AMEN!!!!

NOW---TREAT YOURSELF TO A GREAT GERMAN WEISSBIER!!!!

Congrats!

Walt