Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How much tappet noise is normal

I adjusted my valves last month and went for a drive today. When I got back I was checking the oil level since I changed it while adjusting the valves and I noticed valve clatter/tappet noise mostly from the right side.
Now I don't know if it is more noise than before since I haven't driven the car for a couple of months but it seem more than normal. It may be that I am paranoid since I adjusted the valves. I tighten about 5 valves and loosened only one. Unless the adjustment nut got loose that fast I don't understand why it would be more noisy than before, that is, if it IS noisier than before.

How much noise is normal?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I never even notice mine, but if you're concerned, pop the covers off and check them.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What is the torque for the locknut supposed to be? I think it is 14 ft lbs.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A little more than snug, any more and you'll tweak the very short threads in that nut and it will not turn on the elephant foot adjuster threads freely.

I've never used a torque wrench on them, just go by feel.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

If it's any consolation, its better to be a bit too loose rather than too tight (think burned valves).
Old 04-14-2010, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Mine are quite noisy and it runs like a scalded dog. Like DonE said-"better loose than too tight".
Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: