Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What is my 930 worth?

I think I may be giving up on cars and wondered if I could get some opinions on what my 930 is worth. I bought the car 3 years ago with questionable leakdown numbers on #6 and I can't imagine they have improved over time. It made 352hp on a chassis dyno two years ago. It runs strong but the time may be near for a refresh.

1987 Porsche 930 GP white with can-can red leather over black carpets
68000 miles, 4th owner

Modifications:
Powerhaus headers
B&B dual outlet exhaust
Wastegate dump muffler
K27 Turbo
B&B Intercooler
In Your Face Gauges Boost, AFR & Oil temp gauges
1 bar wastegate spring
KEP Kevlar clutch and lightened pressure plate
Denon head unit
Aura 6.5 inch speakers
MB Quart 10” subwoofer
WEVO engine mounts
WEVO shift coupler

Extras:
Factory tool kit
Factory spare & compressor
Set of printed factory shop manuals
Owner’s manuals
Full set of Racing Hart 3 piece wheels

Recent maintenance:
Replaced clutch, flywheel & pressure plate
Rebuilt transmission
Replaced intake gaskets and checked injector blocks for cracks
New Kumho tires

Factory Fuchs and 17" Racing Harts would be included

Old 04-10-2010, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It's a very nice looking car even though the red interior is a little wild for me. I would ask $35K, but might plan to go to $25K for a quick sell.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
$25k for that car? you all have the uncanny ability to devalue the 930...it amazes me!!!

that car should bring $35k. nice car.

pcb
Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
R.I.P.

should - you breakin' out the check book? This market is not an easy one to nail down. If the engine is iffy that could scare casual buyers away leaving only a select few serious buyers.

125 said $35K but he is thinking clearly when mentioning $25K as a "gotta sell now price". As always I hope he gets $35k, but since he did ask the question he might want to hear the other side of "it's worth a ton".

Beautiful car - hate you gotta sell her
Old 04-11-2010, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I don't have to sell it but the thought is running around in my head. There are times when I think my life would be easier if I just leased an econobox and let the dealer service it.

Yesterday I pulled the rocker covers to check the torque of the head studs and now that I have it all buttoned up it won't start. The CDI box is whining and the fuel pumps seem to be running when I push the metering plate down. It will start and rev if I hold the metering plate down while someone else cranks it but once I release the plate it dies and won't restart.

Something tells me it is worth much less if it doesn't run!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtel View Post
I don't have to sell it but the thought is running around in my head. There are times when I think my life would be easier if I just leased an econobox and let the dealer service it.

Yesterday I pulled the rocker covers to check the torque of the head studs and now that I have it all buttoned up it won't start. The CDI box is whining and the fuel pumps seem to be running when I push the metering plate down. It will start and rev if I hold the metering plate down while someone else cranks it but once I release the plate it dies and won't restart.

Something tells me it is worth much less if it doesn't run!
Keep posting .
each time you do you get closer to my buying price.

Enjoy Life ... Eat out more often !
Old 04-11-2010, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You best getting it running, non-running you'll have trouble getting 20K. Not a lot of cars are selling at all right now. I saw good low mileage cars on the market in the 35K range for the entire winter.

If Running, ask the 35K and be willing to negotiate with serious buyers. If the leak down comes back bad then be prepared to be in a buyers market with a less than desirable car.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The parking deck photo looks like my car. With the mods you have and the condition I would offer at $33K firm, getting it to run should be no big issue, check all wire and relay connections in the areas you were working
Peugeot moped
Old 04-11-2010, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

For a quick sell I would put on Ebay for 30k no reserve and ask 35k everywhere else. They'll talk you down and ebay it up so I'd say about 32.5k for it. Nice car... Of course the engine issues are offsetting so it may be worth less. To make sure take it in to a dealer and spend the cash and if there's a problem fix it or discount it accordingly...
Old 04-11-2010, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
I'll bring a little logic into this. As much as we all want to see this car go for 35K, I guarantee that any of the users that posted "it's worth 35", would not pay even close to 35K for your car, they would grind and negotiate, using all your info against you to get a great car for a low price. Nobody pays more just because they feel bad for you.

When I bought my car it was purely a pleasure car, I drove 500 miles to look at the car first hand - prepared to pay full boat, but since I did not have to buy, I was prepared to drive 500 miles home without it, and I almost did, it was the tiny phrase "how much would you pay..." that sent me home with my baby.

Here was my logic:

1.) Does not start, in my mind at point of sale, "ignition or fuel problems" deduct 1-2K.
2.) Red interior - a little wild for me, recover seats, deduct 2-3K
3.) Engine leakdown suspect - engine rebuild, deduct 6-10K
etc.

By this time you are at 9-15K less than asking, I don't mean to sound harsh, but i think this is the logic most use when buying a "fun car". There are lots of 30-35K cars out there without these issues (or so they say...).

That being said, I hope you KEEP the car, and continue to let others drool over it!

Good luck!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Gotta Jibboo

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BSiple
I love that can-can interior. My 1986 cab had that same interior with a black exterior. I always thought it looked sharp.

I'm sure its nothing major if your car was just running.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Bill

I don't know why I do the hillbilly things I do.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the insight guys. As I mentioned I don't have to sell it but I have been evaluating my car hobbies lately and the returns seem to be few and far between these days. I think it may be time for a cheap lease so I don't have to drive the 930 so often.

I know the interior can be polarizing but you don't forget it easily and it is one of the things I liked about the car.

I got it running again yesterday, I didn't have the large rubber intake elbow seated on the fuel head properly so it was suffering from a massive air leak. Of course I found that after checking all the electrical stuff 3 times.

I also found the source of my most recent noise, my headers are coming apart at the seams and causing an exhaust leak. Is it worth my time to try and weld this up or will it just fall apart again?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

rocks

From your photos, your 930 looks like it really rocks. I would hope you could get at least 35k for this car. I understand the economy and all, but that is alot of cool car.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
You can reweld the headers and have gussets added to prevent cracking again assuming that it's not rusted out on the inside.

Nice car.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

FWIW, I was contacted today by a Canadian PCA member offering his 56K miles '89 930 at $55K USD. I'm sure it's a nice car (looks nice on the PCA mart) but I'm not sure it's $55K nice.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Tig weld the crack and it will be stronger than it was before.

Make sure the slip joint in the middle of the secondary pipes on your headers is still free to move so the expansion of the motor when hot doesn't crack the headers again.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Why on sites dedicated to a particular model do guys overprice every car for sale unless they are the buyer. I hope you get what you want for the car. I personally love the red interior.

With that said lets be serious. The car needs an engine rebuild. You are well aware of this with the low leak down numbers. So with some of the logic above your car with a fresh engine would be well into the low 40's. Remember these are also pics not a close inspection of the car.

You seam like an honest seller and throwing on Ebay would give an indication but not always the last word. $25k is fair and that would be hard sell as 930 engines are not cheap and the person is buying a project.

To any of the guys who say $35 sell it to them for $31k they should jump on it.

Keep it and enjoy for that money the Civic will just plain suck!!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Exactly

City driven turbos load up carbon deposits around and on the valve seats quickly.

Take it to a track with a long straight and do 10 laps and it will probably run a lot better and have lower leak down numbers afterward.

Especially when the leak down test is done on a very warm to hot motor.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
On the other hand ... why are some guys so quick to the devalue 930? We should be striving to increase their value instead of trying to find every tiny reason to convince the market that our cars are worth less than they truly are.

We are our own worst enemy.
Well stated.

My car is worth more than I can sell it for in today's market, and it's in every bit as fine a condition as the particular one we're talking about here (well, except it has about 60% more miles and no leakdown test to devalue it in our minds - maybe that's a good thing, too much information is too much sometimes).

All of these cars will need to be rebuilt at some point...some earlier....some later. So what, that's a fact. Buy it for what it's currently worth vs. worrying about what it might (and will) cost later to rebuild. I really don't give a rip...mines not for sale, people can drool over it all they want and say what a nice example it is, but it's mine and will stay mine until I'm destitute or until the market turns around drastically.

We would all like to think we're sitting on gold mines and that we can reap a great return on our investment. But I'm a realist (ask my wife...she hates putting up with that part of me for almost 30 years)....once a car passes the 100K mark it's the kiss of death no matter how nice she looks or how well maintained. Even with all the mods I doubt I could sell mine for within 3 to 4K what I bought it for. Does that mean I paid too much? Who cares, it's just a damn car and you can't take it with you. Enjoy, it's been a great ride so far!

If you want a sound investment, put your money into the health care industry. They're poised to make a bundle real soon!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
beancounter

Grand Prix White + Can Can Red = AWESOME!

Beautiful car. I can't add anything to the discussion of its value that hasn't already been said. Is this car your daily driver? I can understand the desire for a warrantied, dealer serviced vehicle for everyday usage. Maybe you can get something ultra cheap for a daily and hold onto the 930?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: