Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
beancounter

Electromotive XDI2 - help please

Gents.

Trying to fire up my rebuilt engine for the 1st time. According to the manual, the bottom LED is supposed to flash during cranking. If no flashing, the XDI isn't seeing the crank sensor. I have no flash. Checked sensor with VOM and its 620 exactly as its supposed to be. Verified sensor wiring.

Still no flashing LED.

Any ideas.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
what? me worry?

Double check the air-gap between the sensor and the toothed wheel. The electromotive sensor is kind of a pos....it is a proximity sensor used on industrial type equipment.. i.e. conveyors etc..

Have seen a number of sensors just go bad..
Rudtners Racing

'69 911 GT-5
'75 914 GT-3
Authorised Haltech seller and installer
Authorised Unichip installer
BBS wheels
Fikse wheels
Redline motors oils
Swepco
1500 hp chassis dyno
Old 04-10-2010, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

They have a new 3/8 sensor that is quite robust. The old ones had some problems. If you have the new, thinner sensor, they have to be lined up with the chisel point on the sensor face on exactly the 11th tooth. Also check the weather pack connectors. Sometimes when you push those in, they push the other prong out thus breaching the connection. Did you use two relays to juice both units? If so, there could be a problem with the pin layout with those. Also make sure the main grounds are secure on the block. Once you get it dialed-in, very trouble free with amazing tune-ability.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Double check the air-gap between the sensor and the toothed wheel. The electromotive sensor is kind of a pos....it is a proximity sensor used on industrial type equipment.. i.e. conveyors etc..

Have seen a number of sensors just go bad..
Have also had a sensor go bad, stops you in your tracks. I suggest you carry a spare just in case.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
beancounter

I'm an idiot

The switched 12v source I was using to trigger my relay did not continue to get 12v with the key in the start position. DUH! Car fired right up.

Unfortunately its making an ugly noise, I think from the valve train. Ugh.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
Unfortunately its making an ugly noise, I think from the valve train. Ugh.

Oh no. Take a deep breath and approach it with a clear head, if you are a drinking man now is the time to have a stiff one.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Jacob, glad you got it started and I hope you find the problem. It could be a loose rocker or rocker shaft. I had a few loosen up quickly after 200-300 miles. Noise and leaking oil like a sieve.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: