Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Getting there! Could someone ID this?

The sun is shining and its 45, definitely garage workin weather... Motor is finally coming around with some subtle upgrades, Aase bros twin plug heads, ported intake and turbokraft injector blocks, turbo sump oil filter, an LM1 etc. (front cooler and C2 nose are sitting on the pingpong table until the car can be moved...)

I've always wondered what and for what reason this piece was wired into the car, any thoughts? It's covered with a little clear plastic box and has been in place albeit flopping around the engine tin since I purchased the car. Anyone? Cheers!

Tom

Old 04-10-2010, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It looks like a multi pole double throw relay. You'll have to trace the wires to figure out what it does and why someone put it there.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think it's a rare RUF gizzmo, in itself worth more than the car.

Actually I have no idea. Just a double throw relay of some sort. Hope it's not critical. Try unplugging it and see what happens!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

It could be rear window defogger or rear window wiper.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Tom,
What kind of injector blocks do you have now? They don't look like OEM. Also, what kind of ignition are you using, I think I see a toothed timing plate on your crankshaft pulley.

Mark
Old 04-11-2010, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucittm View Post
Tom,
What kind of injector blocks do you have now? They don't look like OEM. Also, what kind of ignition are you using, I think I see a toothed timing plate on your crankshaft pulley.

Mark
Both observations correct. The new blocks are from Chris Carrol over at turbokraft opened to 36mm, ignition is single (soon to be twin) electromotive HPX
Old 04-11-2010, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post
It could be rear window defogger or rear window wiper.
Don,
the piece is wired into the harness and has two pairs of black wires approx 16-18ga one pair of which goes to the overboost switch and the second pair is buried in the wiring bundle and runs under the intake. May shoot to the wur, I'll have to track it and report back...
Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
Tom,
Your build is pretty much what I would do. What kind of injectors do you have/plan on using? I understand the 930 cars used the o-ring injectors, mine screw into the injector blocks with a fine thread.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Definitely a DPDT relay showing corrosion and missing clear cover (oh you took it off), it appears to switch between green and black wires. A switch like that may have been used for some type of bypass. What about the red/green wiring on the connector below the relay...any sign of the other end?
Peugeot moped
Old 04-11-2010, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

CIS Injector Blocks

Mark,
The CIS Injector Blocks we make are a direct replacement for the 1976-94 911 Turbo. They accept the original M10x1.0mm thread-in fuel injectors. A phenolic insulator is included to prevent heat soak of the injector & block.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Do your injector blocks position the business end of the injector so it is shrouded or unshrouded?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Not shrouded, like the original plastic blocks. The injector sits at the identical angle and position.
Any bore size available from 32mm (stock) and up.
Also in tapered bores for heads that are stock or only mildly ported, but when you want to really port open and/or extrude-hone the 930 intake manifold.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-14-2010, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Jim,

FYI

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguy View Post
Don,
the piece is wired into the harness and has two pairs of black wires approx 16-18ga one pair of which goes to the overboost switch and the second pair is buried in the wiring bundle and runs under the intake. May shoot to the wur, I'll have to track it and report back...
Weird....the overboost pressure switch takes only a single wire and the switch is normally closed to complete the ground circuit so the pumps will run. Maybe your relay is a low-cost get-around of the higher cost yellow boost relay.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hi Cole, thanks for the pics of your turbocraft injector blocks.
Guess were off topic but oh well...

I have some used ones someone from here offered me around a year ago and I bought them and polished the outsides of them.

I got the heat insulators and gaskets from pelican and they were made by PMO.

They look similar to yours including the unshrouded injector position meaning the end of the injector is sticking out into the airstream.

Mine are bored to 40mm. On the large side but they should work well with the rest of the modifications I've done.

Someday I'll redo the top end and port my cylinder heads and intake manifold to match them. I've done alot of that in the past and I'm good with a die grinder.
It's just running so good I decided not to do all that this winter.

Here's a few snaps of one of mine.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Jim,

Man those are great !!! Wish I could have found those when I was looking.
Ended up bitting the bullet for new.

Don't blame you for not wanting to tear it down when it's running well. It's been so long for me I can't even remember what it feels like. I'm gaining though. Body, headliner, and interior are all done. Just replaced both fuel pumps with 044's and cleaned out the tank and all the fuel lines. Rolled out the engine and yanked the fan shroud to start some clean up and found 5 broken studs on the top side. I'm now waiting for some tools so I can pull the heads and cam boxes then I'll just replace all the studs while it's down.

Go out and flog her once for me !!!!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: