Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
sudo apt-get purge 930

Hargett adjustment

I picked up a used Hargett shifter and I'm having trouble getting it adjusted properly. I have it adjusted great for every gear except reverse. When I shift to reverse the ball wants to come out of the socket if I'm not very careful. If I adjust for it not to happen then I have third gear wanting to come out. I can't seem to get it set where both third gear and reverse both are firmly in the socket. Any ideas?

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 04-11-2010, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would suggest calling Mark or sending him an email. I think, IIRC that this was an issue with the early 930 shifters.

Cheers
Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Better alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
I picked up a used Hargett shifter and I'm having trouble getting it adjusted properly. I have it adjusted great for every gear except reverse. When I shift to reverse the ball wants to come out of the socket if I'm not very careful. If I adjust for it not to happen then I have third gear wanting to come out. I can't seem to get it set where both third gear and reverse both are firmly in the socket. Any ideas?
I hear that you have the same problem as I had with this shifter. I would say it's function is not quite what you expect from an equipment that you are going to use in a high powered Porsche car.

I sent my shifter to a mechanic company who just laughed at what they saw, regarding to the price. They made bushings that they put in and wow what a different feeling. I also changed the reverse gear spring to a softer one, the feeling is perfect, when I'm shifting to revers. Still a small loose feeling of the 3d gear. But it's ok, not perfect but ok.

By the way mine was supposed to be the new one. So I don't now what was improved it was still a piece of crap.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I nought one of the first hargett shifters years ago and have been very happy with it. Not a single problem to date.

In setting it up, you should follow the instructions for reindexing a stock shifter, but need to pay attention to the length of the rod when you cut it.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I'll shoot him an email and see what he says. I didn't want to bug him for instructions or help since I bought it used.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 04-12-2010, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Mark,
Contact Dave Treichel at Zero-to-60 Garage. He's installed a few of these on 915 and 930 transmissions. His signature on Pelican is dt930....tell him WERK I (Dave) sent ya'.
Before you do so, here is a thread Dave contributed to regarding the Hargett's. Hargett thread on Pelican
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Thanks for the link Dave. That one didn't come up in my search At least I now know I'm not the only one. I like the idea of using a hitch pin or similar in place of the shifter bolt.

--clutch-monkey
Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Dave (dt930) saw a huge improvement when he milled the cup to reduce the binding. Keep in mind he put the Hargett on his track car, so the reverse gate was less of an issue than those that used the shifter on the street. A weaker gate spring may be more ideal for street cars.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 04-12-2010, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I need to research the gate spring, I've never seen it. I have no idea at this moment where it is or how to change it.

--clutch-monkey
Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Lightbulb

Here it is:

And here I posted the specs:

I love my Hargett shifter

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Thanks Roland, much appreciated. BTW, I emailed Mark and he sent me the instructions. He also offered help with any issues I might have. He said it didn't matter that I bought it used, he supports all of his products. Great service!

--clutch-monkey
Old 04-13-2010, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
I thought we were talking about the gate spring in the Hargett shifter being to stiff for reverse. Yes?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

sudo apt-get purge 930

There isn't a gate spring on the shifter itself.

--clutch-monkey
Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Ok, now it get it.
Because of the decrease in the amount of leverage available with the Hargett, the reverse detent spring in the transmission must be lessened to reduce effort for reverse gear engagement.
Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I got it dialed in. Now it's actually easier to get in reverse, not much effort at all. There really is a "sweet spot".

--clutch-monkey
Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
That's great, Mark. What did you wind up doing?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

Mark Hargett emailed me the instructions and I had everything set up properly as far as mechanical operation was concerned. He informed me that the 930 unit had a very small "sweet spot". He thought the rotational adjustment was off. I adjusted the left/right position of the front u-joint on the shaft. It literally was about a 1/32 change. That little bit translated to much more at the end of the throw. It actually made an improvement on the 1-4 forward gear selection too. Reverse takes less effort to engage too, I don't think I need to change the spring since one hand will engage it. It is perfect now.

--clutch-monkey
Old 04-15-2010, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality72521 View Post
Mark Hargett emailed me the instructions...
Can you mail me these instruction too, please?

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 04-15-2010, 11:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Ditto. Thanks.

Quote:

Quote de equality72521

Mark Hargett emailed me the instructions...

Can you mail me these instruction too, please?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: