Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Made in China?!? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/536437-made-china.html)

MikeD930 04-12-2010 03:37 PM

Made in China?!?

I'm surprised that one of the parts I ordered here on PP is made in China! It's a front crankshaft seal part # 999-113-290-41. It's brand is Elring Klinger which is supposely rated 5 thumbsup on pelican quality rating. I don't feel confident using a chinese part in my 930! :mad:

Would you guys use it?

Noah930 04-12-2010 04:01 PM

Aren't all the round relays (now) made in China? And I think the coils are made by Bosch...in Brazil. I've come across a few other "factory" parts for my German car (and Italian motorcycle) made in Asia.

I don't think the Chinese, by definition, make crap products. They make it to the specs they're supplied, too. So part of the responsibility lies in the company supplying/demanding those specs.

MikeD930 04-12-2010 04:12 PM

Yes, that's true about meeting the co. specs. I suppose Elring has high standards (I hope).

lucittm 04-12-2010 08:03 PM

I complained to Wayne about that same crankshaft seal. He mentioned something about costs going up and suppliers beating him up. I told him I would pay the extra not to have any Chinese parts in my car. It's not the quality, or the price that matter to me. It is just that we are buying parts from a communist country with a lot of military members that would like nothing better than to just shoot us. I have been to Hong Kong, China is not a fun place to be.

And Brazil is a little strange, I've been to Rio de Janeiro too, but it is NOT communist China.
Please!

Mark

RarlyL8 04-13-2010 09:39 AM

Specs and/or quality control are sliding in the name of profit. Made is America doomed if this continues, it's all but done now.
You would be amazed at what all is made in Asia. Much more than you realize.
Thank you Mark for your loyalty to the American worker. It is a tough sell when the prices are so cheap. Too many don't care about quality but only price.

vmisquez 04-13-2010 10:45 AM

I ordered the dealer seal and the PP seal. To my suprise, The PP seal (made in china) had a slightly larger flange are and seemed a better quality part. I used the PP seal.

gilach 04-14-2010 07:16 AM

china

Lucittm, i don't think they want to shoot us, besides they have all our money that we keep giving them in exchange for all that plastic crap we buy from the likes of Wal-Mart :D...so they need us.
But i feel your pain, after purchasing a Hircshmann (sp?) antenna a few months back at a premium to one made in hong kong, i recieved it only to find out that, it too was made in china-so it seems even the germans have sucumbed to their accountants!!!!!