Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Made in China?!?

I'm surprised that one of the parts I ordered here on PP is made in China! It's a front crankshaft seal part # 999-113-290-41. It's brand is Elring Klinger which is supposely rated 5 thumbsup on pelican quality rating. I don't feel confident using a chinese part in my 930!

Would you guys use it?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Aren't all the round relays (now) made in China? And I think the coils are made by Bosch...in Brazil. I've come across a few other "factory" parts for my German car (and Italian motorcycle) made in Asia.

I don't think the Chinese, by definition, make crap products. They make it to the specs they're supplied, too. So part of the responsibility lies in the company supplying/demanding those specs.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, that's true about meeting the co. specs. I suppose Elring has high standards (I hope).
Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Manassas, VA

Garage
I complained to Wayne about that same crankshaft seal. He mentioned something about costs going up and suppliers beating him up. I told him I would pay the extra not to have any Chinese parts in my car. It's not the quality, or the price that matter to me. It is just that we are buying parts from a communist country with a lot of military members that would like nothing better than to just shoot us. I have been to Hong Kong, China is not a fun place to be.

And Brazil is a little strange, I've been to Rio de Janeiro too, but it is NOT communist China.
Please!

Mark

Last edited by lucittm; 04-12-2010 at 07:05 PM..
Old 04-12-2010, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Specs and/or quality control are sliding in the name of profit. Made is America doomed if this continues, it's all but done now.
You would be amazed at what all is made in Asia. Much more than you realize.
Thank you Mark for your loyalty to the American worker. It is a tough sell when the prices are so cheap. Too many don't care about quality but only price.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I ordered the dealer seal and the PP seal. To my suprise, The PP seal (made in china) had a slightly larger flange are and seemed a better quality part. I used the PP seal.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
china

Lucittm, i don't think they want to shoot us, besides they have all our money that we keep giving them in exchange for all that plastic crap we buy from the likes of Wal-Mart ...so they need us.
But i feel your pain, after purchasing a Hircshmann (sp?) antenna a few months back at a premium to one made in hong kong, i recieved it only to find out that, it too was made in china-so it seems even the germans have sucumbed to their accountants!!!!!
"it's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma" Winston Churchill.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: