Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Car finally passed emissions

Well, after failing twice I bit the bullet and had a friend weld me up an exhaust to pass. He used a T4 3" turbo flange to a 3" pipe to a magnaflow 3" in/out spun cat out to a passenger side tailpipe. I drove around for a while and tried to heat up the cat and burn off any oils/paint on the exhaust. Got to the testing station and they threw her on the dyno for the 25MPH rolling test. She passed with flying colors.

I really like the way the simple 3" tail pipe looks, and the sound isn't much louder than my B&B dual out 3" oval tailpipes. The cat is flanged and my friend said he can make up a muffler tailpipe to replace the cat tailpipe pretty easy if I'd like. I may look for a short 3" in/out muffler an do that in addition to having him build a matching 3" tailpipe off the wastegate for the drivers side. It may be time to send the B&B down the line and use my new "modular" emissions passing system permanently. I'll post some picks when I get home.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

It's always good to pass emessions. Don't have them here in SC, but did in NC when I lived there. We used to loosen the oil cap on my SC and it passed with flying colors. Not sure how that worked or if it works on turbos.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

On most normally aspirated cars the crankcase is plumbed into the intake manifold.
Kind of like "positive crankcase ventilation" pcv valve of the seventies.
It reduces blowby emissions by recirculating them and puts the crankcase into a slight vacuum so there are lower pumping losses in there and fewer oil seal leaks.

When you removed the oil cap it was like a big vacuum leak as air was drawn into the intake through the oil cap. The motor was running leaner so CO was reduced.

Some older BMW's will stall out or nearly die if you pull up the dipstick at idle speed for the same reason. I don't know if the newer ones are still like that.

Can't set up a 930 that way because you'd be presurizing the crankcase on acceleration.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So it would not help on emissions testing for our cars?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The oil tank and factory oil seperator on the later cars is vented into the air cleaner housing after the filter element on our cars origonally so taking off the oil tank cap shouldn't make much difference in CO emissions or AFR's unless the air filter is really dirty and clogged up.

Mine hasn't been stock in that area for a while now so I'm going on semi foggy memory of that system.. so I may be forgetting something. . .
Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Well here are some pics of the "quicky" exhaust, let me know what you guys think...

Like I said, I want to extend the WG and adapt it to a 3" tail pipe on the drivers side to fill the gap and balance the look. I would also like to find a 3" in/out short (like 12") muffler to weld a flange and a tail pipe on to replace the cat, any muffler suggestions?

Anyone looking for a B&B dual out muffler?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
OK, I know this may be sacrilegious, but in trying to find a steel muffler to replace the cat/tailpipe setup I have now I've researched a bit and have the following options:

Mufflers - SummitRacing.com

I know chambered mufflers are out because they're not optimum for turbos, but what about glass-packs? There are quite a few perforated core/ glass wrapped mufflers that are 3" in/out and only 12" long. I'm just trying to deepen the tone a bit compared to the cat that leaves it a bit tinny sounding.

Sorry to the purest that think an exhaust should cost $1000 and be made of stainless, I actually like the look and ease of using painted/aluminized components. I like my current setup better than the $1000 B&B I just pulled off, although the B&B probably flows better than a cat.

Thanks for any input, suggestions and criticisms.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'm all for the DIY stuff. Let us know how it works.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Why wouldn't you just put your fancy exhaust back on now that you've passed emissions?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chally72 View Post
Why wouldn't you just put your fancy exhaust back on now that you've passed emissions?
I don't really like the B&B, too shiney
Old 04-14-2010, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: