Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Fuel Leak

Just replaced rear fuel pump,when checking for leaks,had a fuel leak above the heater flapper box, Not a Good place to have one. Has anyone replaced that fuel line?What's the best way to do it, and how easy is it to do?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Flex or bend all the rubber fuel lines and if you see surface dry rot cracks it's definately time to replace them or risk burning down your car.

The origonal fuel lines have a manufactured date on them.

Remove the old lines and take them to a hose supply house and have new ones made up or buy new factory ones if they are still available.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Jfairman, Do you know of a place around here that is competent enough to re-fab up the metric fuel lines properly? Being in S.FLA I don't trust too many people around here without getting some really good references first.

Another option I have been experimenting with is cutting off the hose crimp and brazing an -an fitting to the factory steel ends so I can make up my own replaceable hose assemblies. My neighbor (an aircraft mechanic) gave me an an-union that I machined to accept the 8mm steel fuel line before brazing.

Here is a pic of a metric steel connector with a brazed -an fitting on it. Actually this one was just silver soldered.

I haven't decided on which -an hose I want to use yet. However, I don't think I want to use stainless braided due to the fact that it will eat through anything it touches due to vibration.

Last edited by nocarrier; 04-15-2010 at 06:27 AM..
Old 04-15-2010, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Trev.

That looks like the pressure line from the tank to the rear fuel pump.
I would consider removing the line at the rear of the transmission tunnel and making a new line. You can find all the proper fittings here.

BAT - MOCAL Oil Control Systems

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Amazon Hose
1103 N 50th St Tampa, FL.
Phone: 813-223-7554

I used them a number of times..excellent work.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

nocarrier, I recognize your login but can't remember where in S. Fl. you are.

There's lots of of good hydraulic hose shops in the major cities down here to service the local Marine and Aviation industry and there's lots of race teams with the good weather and year round testing.

Probabaly best to use one with older guys behind the counter because they are more experienced and less distracted.

Here in West Palm, Hydraulic Hose Supply in Riviera Beach is good. They are an Aeroquip dealer.
Mako hose out in western West Palm is a good place to buy hose and fittings but I've never had anything made up there.

I like your idea of brazing on steel AN fittings and making your own lines using Areoquip or Earls hose and AN fittings. It's straightforward so anyone thats careful and has the right tools can do it.
I wrap the stainless braided hose with several tight turns of masking tape and then cut the hose with a death wheel (cut off wheel) on a die grinder.
Then remove the tape and you have a nice cut.

One thing to remember when making your hose is don't push the hose all the way onto the barbed inner male piece, leave about 1/16" of an inch so the rubber hose has a little space to squish into when you thread on and tighten down the outer part.

If you want to keep the red and blue or whatever color anodized parts looking pretty, wrap a couple layers of masking tape around them first then clamp the fitting in a bench vise and use a snugged down large crescent wrench to tighten them up.

You can put a rubber or teflon sleeve hose or polyolefin shrink tube over the stainless line to cut down on abrasion if you want and they also have kevlar braided lightweight high pressure/temperature AN hose you can use too.
It's expensive stuff.

The clearances in the fittings are specific for the type and brand of hose used.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Jfairman, thanks for the great tips on assembling the -an hose ends. I'm in Pembroke Pines by the way.

+1 on asking the older guys behind the counter. I went to a hose supply house in Pompano and the kid behind the counter seemed annoyed that I was distracting him from his text messaging.

I never went back.

I checked out Mako hose on the web and it seems like they have an excellent selection. I will have to check them out.

I called BAT and spoke to someone there who helped clarify a lot about adapting metric to -an. Really good guy over there. I think his name was Tim.

Once I figure out the cleanest and safest way of rebuilding these fuel lines I'll be sure to post my results.

Thanks again!

-Adam
Old 04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The other place I mentioned in Riviera Beach that carries Aeroquip is actually called Hydraulic Supply, not Hydraulic Hose Supply like I wrote before.

Aeroquip fittings and hose cost a little more than Earls, Russel, or Summit Racing, and others and it's hard to say if they are any better quality.
Aeroquip was the origonal aircraft and race car hose supplier before people started using stainless lines and AN fittings for bling.

They say to always use the same manufacturer for the fittings as the hose and don't mix and match or they may leak. There are small differences in the dimensions between the different makes..

They have stores down closer to you too.
Hydraulic Supply Company Retail and Repair Locations
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

I may be able to help you as I custom make Metric fuel & oil lines for Porsches in any length needed.

I also make up adapter hoses from Metric to AN as below.......

Presently I only make the adapter hoses to AN -06, but looking into the same types for AN -08 in the near future.

Please email me, no PM's as my box is usually full.

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 04-19-2010 at 05:46 AM..
Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

hello, and greetings from a novice but proud 930 mechanic.

I too have got a fuel leak, on a 1976 car. Hope someone could please help identify what is leaking and how to do repairs.

Symptons are:
- fuel leaks to underside of the car, around where gearbox is.
- leaks about 2-3 drops to ground per second when engine is cold
-- does not leak when engine is hot, or possibly the fuel evaporates from hot engine (fuel smell is strong)
- I have removed some parts to locate the leak. Please could some one identify what is leaking, and how to change the leaking tube? What to remove to be able to change the part?

Picture 1 --- overall engine bay

Picture 2 --- leaking tube

Picture 3 --- leaking tube (another angle)

Looks like the leaking tube is possible to detach from one end. (the one pointing towards front of the car). The other end has some sort of a nozzle, but could not see or feel how it is attached, and to where.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'm trying to figure out exactly where you are talking about. Could it be one of the lines running to the cold start valve or the frequence valve?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks A930Rocket for a clear picture, and giving names to the parts. The leaking tube leads to "cold start injector". I know, because one recognises that odd blue color, where pipe attaches to.

Searching now how to remove the Cold Start Injector, found a related topic
Start-up Injector Fuel line leak

Still a bit puzzled, how the cold start injector comes off.
-- Beneath the cold start injector in photo posted by A930Rocket, there is a small nut
-- Please, does the Cold Start Injector come off by removing "the nut"?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'll have to look again when I get off my iPhone and on my laptop.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

It might be a challenge to get to, but you'll need t remove the intercooler, air cleaner and anything else you need to be able to look behind the metering plate. Looks like there is a banjo bolt that connects the fuel line, then two bolts that hold the injector in place.

Pix from out host:

Old 06-03-2010, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thank you A930Rocket with your info, and more courage, I have set removing the cold start injector.

- Now I've used a mirror and light to view the injector, and to be able to place a 10mm socket on "the nut holding" the injector in place.

- Managed to remove the injector. 1976 car injector only had 1 single nut holding it in place. After removing the nut, the injector comes loose and is easy to remove.

- Here is a picture of the 1976 car injector:

- I cut the remainins of the old tubing, and used a small saw to cut away the old pressed tube -connector. Then bought some new 8mm tube, used now regular fasterers (tighten with a screw-driver).

- the cold start injector other end of the tube comes here:

Finally managed to put everything back in place:

Now, there are still some old and some new issues:
no.1 (not major): still some fuel coming from somewhere else. Fuel no longer leaks from the replaced tube, but there is another leak.

no.2 (more major): the car no longer starts. Fuel pump seems to work (or sounds), but no spark
- the car run all good before this fuel-line replacement-procedure, now there is no spark. (removed one spark-plug cable, attached to another spark-plug, touching engine top, a friend turned ignition, car attempts to start (engine turns), fuel-pump sounds like is running, but no spark).
Old 06-05-2010, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

What kind of fuel line is that? I take it that there is pretty high pressure at the injector and yuo want to make sure the hose can take it. Next, I'd worry about the hose clamps. You may want to swap it all for some Aeroquip hose and fittings or take what you have to a AC and/or hydraulics place to have them make you up a line.

With rubber lines that are 44 years old, it might be a good idea to check and replace them all.

For the engine not starting, check all the parts you reinstalled. You might have a bad air leak from something not installed right.

Does your CDI box make a whine when you turn in the ignition?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

thanks again A930Rocket, I will listen to the CDI -box as soon as I'll get back to the garage..

For now, please let us continue "no spark" -issue here in a related thread:

Car just died!!!! Plz help.

Cheers
Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: