Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Zork Install

Hello to the group. I was here about 2 years ago when I first found Pelican online. I came here with oil leaks and intent on fixing them. Life got in the way and I have barely driven my car since then.

I have a 79' 930 I bought in '98. A CA smog check forced me to get the car out and rather than fix the leaks from 2 years ago I instead ordered a Zork tube from Brian at RarlyL8. After I have fun for a month or so I will finally try and repair the oil leaks.

I'll post some pictures of the install for you ( I know everyone likes pics!) but here's a description. I am a computer professional with minimal mechanical abilities. I spent maybe 1-1.5 hours removing the rear valence and heat shield. Took my time (had not jacked the car up in a while) and I have minimal tools so trips to Sears were inevitable. I then sprayed all the nuts connecting the turbo to the muffler with WD40 and sprayed the nuts around the wastegate.

Next day I (multiple trips for tools, lunch, etc) spent about 4-5 hours getting the stock muffler and stock wastegate piping off of the car. Could probably do this in half the time now that I understand the process. A few of the nuts were pretty difficult to remove until I figured out the best approach.

I installed the small wastegate dump from RarlyL8 and Zork in less than an hour. Dropped the car to the ground and laughed when I started it. I may have to plan exits and entrances to my neighborhood that are not too early and not too late FYI...the rear valence has not been reinstalled yet. Should be done tomorrow night.

Had to run some errands of course and the car gets serious looks. Not sure they are good or bad but it does have a mean sound and garners attention. I'm very happy with it as I don't drive the car very often. Who am I kidding....I drove all over the place making as much noise as I could....I'm in love with the sound!

Anyhow, this is my first real effort at tackling a project under the car so I now have a bit of confidence to tackle the oil leaks. I'll be posting all my efforts as I do them in an effort to help someone else who might be looking to do the same thing. There is so much valuable info on these boards.

BTW....Brian at RarlyL8 has been fantastic at offering support via email and phone to this rookie mechanic. He's a class act and the parts came quickly and were well packaged. But, I think this is already a well known fact around here based on what I read prior to contacting him.

Thanks,
Brian L

Old 04-18-2010, 11:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well done mate. That’s looks awesome, and I total agree with you regarding Brian Bodart (RarlyL8) I also purchased some exhaust parts from him, and got important technical information from Brian. He's just a nice guy!
In a month, I will receive the parts, and will install the muffler on my 930 (pictures will come)
The picture of the Zork is nice, BUT I WILL LIKE TO HEAR IT!!!!

Best Regards
Jesper

aka The Beauty and the Beast
Old 04-19-2010, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Good for you! You gotta start some where and this was a good project to start with.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Awesome job on the installation, post some vidoes of the car, we wanna here that Zork
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll work on the video. I have a couple now but the smallest is 10MB so think I need to skinny it down a bit.

Brian
Old 04-19-2010, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Brian,

I remember your intro a few years back.... Life seems to get in the way of everything, I guess that life. Did you acquire another Porsche since your last post ? How do you like the sound ?
1977 930 (recently sold)
1976 911S , 1973 1/2 911T, 1972 911E (long gone)
Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Actually the black one was purchased by my girlfriend at the time (now wife for obvious reasons Was purchased in 97 and it's a 91 C2 Targa Tip. Good for when you want to drive the Porsche and have coffee on the way to work. Not as easily done in the 930. By the way, wife.com is the one who encouraged me to get the Zork. Some people are just lucky I guess.

So last night I went to reinstall the rear valence with the Zork and there's a bit of fit issue with zero clearance from the Zork to the valence. So I got a few tips on fitting from Brian and I'm just waiting for time to attempt to fix the issue. This also means the Zork is not fully attached so I can't take video. I do have a video I could compress if anyone knew of a tool to do it. Believe it's an .avi.

I should know of one but I don't and I'm feeling googlazy which is defined as precisely too lazy to open up Google and find one myself

To answer the sound question I really like it....but I could see that it isn't for everyone. The car is definitely not a daily driver so the little bit I drive it will be quite fun with the Zork spitting nails. I will say it has a very raw sound at idle and I dont' think the idle sound is as sexy as some of the better performance mufflers. However, when you open her up the sound of the turbo is intoxicating and I live for downshifts as that's when it sounds like a rabid dog spitting nails But in a cool way.

Last edited by bleachii; 04-20-2010 at 11:39 PM..
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: