Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What Mike said. You could have custom inner halves made for the rear. Then add spacers to move the rears out if needed.

Kodiak Racing Wheels - Custom lightweight race wheels for performance and racing [Shells]
Old 06-08-2010, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Thanks, guys, for the excellent suggestion to change inner wheel halves instead of buying new wheels (which I can't possible afford at this point anyway). A while back, I tried to get HRE to widen the rear wheels for me but was forced to give up when they repeatedly failed to get back to me. For some dumb reason, it didn't occur to me that I could get the job done elsewhere. After I wear out my current P-Zeroes, I'll talk with Kodiak about widening the rear wheels to 11 or 11.5.

Again, thanks. Suggestions like that are what makes Pelican Parts invaluable.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

If using the origonal rear spacers now it might be possible you could keep the same inner rim half and change the outer rim half to a 1" wider one.

Then install the rim without the origonal 28mm spacer as long as it still clears the caliper and get a new looking outer rim half and deeper dish at the same time.

To check for caliper clearance install it the way it is now without the spacer to check and see if the wheel clears the caliper as you turn it and the tire doesn't come too close to the oil lines on the right side if deeper dish and new looking wheels sounds good to you.

If doing that you'll have to carry one spacer at least 18mm or 21mm thick with the collapsable steel wheel spare tire to install it because it will hit the caliper without one.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

I suspect if the extra width is extended to the inside so there probably is not any reason to mess with spacers.

This also maintains the existing outer rim appearance and finish.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

Does the GT3 crankshaft have any passages that go straight through (can you look straight through the hole and see out the other side)?

What diameter is the intake port on your heads now that they have been ported?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Squirrel View Post
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

Does the GT3 crankshaft have any passages that go straight through (can you look straight through the hole and see out the other side)?

What diameter is the intake port on your heads now that they have been ported?
The crank's rod journals are fully cross-drilled, but not in a straight line -- more like a boomerang. The holes originate at opposite sides of the journal and are bored at an angle, meeting in the middle.

43mm intake ports.
Pics of heads to come next week.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
I talked to Chris back when I started the project on my car and felt great about sending my car to him in the end I chose instead an engine builder closer to me and I have never regretted it more. I should add that I am on my second engine builder and third set of new pistons and cylinders and God willing everything should be right in the world this time.
"the 930 is THE CAR that started my PORSCHE love affair..." Magnus Walker

Last edited by SCHNELE; 06-09-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Old 06-09-2010, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
The crank's rod journals are fully cross-drilled, but not in a straight line -- more like a boomerang. The holes originate at opposite sides of the journal and are bored at an angle, meeting in the middle.
Would you say it is similar to this:

Old 06-12-2010, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Just a brief update. The CMW cylinder heads came back from Xtreme Heads, and they are greatly improved. In a couple of days I'll provide pictures and some commentary from Chris Carroll. The bottom line is that the exhaust side has improved by 20%, and the many sharp, poorly machined edges that originally came from CMW have been smoothed out and eliminated, greatly reducing the chance of detonation. The pictures will tell the story.

Stay tuned for a more thorough explanation.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

When I had my BBS wheels made years ago, I was asked if I wanted to keep the spacers. Not knowing any better, I said yes. If for some reason I have to replace several or have money to waste, I'd ditch the spacers and get wider outers and narrower inners for the deep dish look. This will also help with more lug nut engagement.

Joengblood (sp?) makes replacement wheel halves for BBS wheels. What about Kodiak? Anybody know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If using the origonal rear spacers now it might be possible you could keep the same inner rim half and change the outer rim half to a 1" wider one.

Then install the rim without the origonal 28mm spacer as long as it still clears the caliper and get a new looking outer rim half and deeper dish at the same time.

To check for caliper clearance install it the way it is now without the spacer to check and see if the wheel clears the caliper as you turn it and the tire doesn't come too close to the oil lines on the right side if deeper dish and new looking wheels sounds good to you.

If doing that you'll have to carry one spacer at least 18mm or 21mm thick with the collapsable steel wheel spare tire to install it because it will hit the caliper without one.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Porsche Crest The GT3 Crankshaft

Featured are fully cross drilled rod journals. Also the main journals, # 1 and 8.

email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 07-01-2010, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Porsche Crest CMW Heads: The Final Saga

My daughter likes to tell her toddler children that life is mostly about the choices they make, that there are good choices and, of course, bad choices. The consequences of bad choices, she tells them, can sometimes lead to all sorts of unforeseen problems and can be very painful.
I'm reminded of this because my choice of CMW cylinder heads a couple of years back resulted in the sort of pain that has had me waking up at 3AM screaming "what the devil was I thinking?" The CMW heads have slowed my engine build down to a crawl while we've awaited Bill DiCondina's efforts to make them competitive, and has cost me an arm and a leg. But now, at last, we're ready to move on.
The heads have come back to TurboKraft and they are transformed. Bill DiCondina's efforts have resulted in heads that will rise to the excellence of the rest of my engine. Below, Chris Carroll has taken some before and after photos and provided a running commentary.

For anyone considering CMW heads, it is must reading. The build is back on track, and my hope is to drive my 930 before the summer is over.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Tom,
Here are pictures of the cylinder heads, before (left) and after (right) pictures.

So the vaunted D-shaped exhaust port wasn’t all it was cracked up to be. After CNC porting it most of the way and finishing it by hand, Xtreme achieved a gain of 20% more maximum airflow – money well spent.

More before & after shots showing the nice chamber blending and finishing work.

On the left, you can see how deep the valve seats are sunken into the combustion chamber, and how there’s a hard edged angle transitioning to the bowl of the chamber. This doesn’t really help flow, and any sharp edges tend to get super heated, which leads to pre-detonation. Around the spark plug holes is a good example.
On the right, Xtreme has blended it all smoothly to help flow. All the edges are hand blended, just as we prepare heads in-house. No sharp edges means best chance of not getting damaging pre-detonation.

And the one valve seat that was installed 0.100” deeper was replaced and set to the correct height.
The new springs and Titanium retainers. The old springs would bind at anything over 0.480” lift, and were not very high pressure over the nose of the cam (at maximum lift).

For comparison, 0.480” is less than a 964-grind street camshaft. Now we can run as large as a 0.520” lift cam.

As received. REALLY well packaged, too. Impressive. Too bad we had to take them right apart again for machining of the interlocking head-to-cylinder niresist rings, but that’s no biggie.

__________________________________________________ __________
More to come...
Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
Thumbs up

I'm just speech-less Tom. It is refreshing to see the extra steps taken to ensure this turns out. Can't wait to see the final results and hear of your impressions!

Legendary and taking notes...Thank you.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Porsche Crest The Dog Days of August Meet 930

The Dog Days of August Meet 930

I haven't updated the thread now for a few weeks. The reason being that every time it looks like TurboKraft is getting close to what we've come to call our "master shot" (a photo of all the new engine parts laid out in one location), I think up another "while we're in there" request that postpones everything. My latest request was to ceramic coat the piston tops and combustion chambers, which added a couple of weeks to the build. Let's just say that at this point I've tumbled down the slippery slope so far I may never crawl out. Anyway, while we wait for the coatings to be applied, I've now got a number of interesting things to talk about.

The GT3 crank TurboKraft is using in my engine has a longer end snout (compared to the stock crank) where the pulley mounts, and since I've long ago removed the AC, I only need a single belt system. So TurboKraft has come up with an ingenious single belt crank pulley that's machined and styled a la Fuchs. It's a small detail, but as far greater minds than mine have noted, God is in the details. I mean, to a lot of us 930 nut jobs, much of the fun of owning these venerable hot rods is tasty little ideas like this. Admittedly, the traditionalists will declare it as "molestation", but what do they know?

While I'm back in Minnesota (I spend half the year in Phoenix) fending off the annual deer tick invasion, the crew at TurboKraft has sent me a couple of other interesting photos. First is a shot into the combustion chamber. OK, so I'm only a checkbook mechanic, but damn that looks good to me. Between the clods at CMW, the master mechanics at TurboKraft, and the legendary cylinder head guru Bill Dicondina, these heads have been massaged to within an inch of their life. I guess the final test will be what happens when the engine is dyno'd.

The third photo is of my new R&R rods. It had been my desire to use Carrillo rods on the engine, but when we decided to up the ante to the 3.4L Mahle Motorsport pistons and cylinders and the GT3 crankshaft (for a total of 3,458cc), the Carrillo rods I purchased a few years ago no longer worked. Also, it turned out that for no discernible reason new Carrillo rods had taken a substantial jump in price. To make matters worse, there was a sixteen week waiting time for the damn things and little flexibility to work with our more advanced parts (particularly the new crankshaft). In the final analysis, the fact that both Chris Carroll and Charles Navarro recommended the R&Rs was good enough for me. Adios Carrillo.

Finally, there's the matter of determining correct calculations, surface machining and other special machining. The pistons in the photo (as I noted above) are a specific set of Mahle Motorsport 3.4L which are now freshly machined to work with the larger valves and R&R rods . The longer skirts, case clearance, lightweight cuts and other features, make these pistons an excellent choice, and with the stroker crank increase the engine to 3.45L..

More to come.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Tom,
In your last pic I see an aluminum pulley that don't look like a Fuchs style pulley. I thought you mentioned Fuchs pulley. Is your pulley custom made?

Your engine parts looks so good that it's too bad they will be hidden when your engine is put together!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Mike
The pulley in the last picture will not be used. It was in a photo that was taken a couple of weeks ago. We'll be using the Fuchs-style pulley shown in the second photo of this installment. And, yes, I agree it's a shame to bury all those beautiful parts inside the engine case. I'll just have to try to remember them when the cop is issuing me a speeding ticket next November. Cheers.
Tom
Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom84930 View Post
Mike
I'll just have to try to remember them when the cop is issuing me a speeding ticket next November. Cheers.
Tom
Uhh hmmm.. that is should you be nice, and allow him to get that close and/or pull over !!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

If you outrun them they just radio ahead and set up a road block. Then they're pissed...
BTDT.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
If you outrun them they just radio ahead and set up a road block. Then they're pissed...
BTDT.
Aware of that.. just depends or where you are, time of day and how close to home.. or friends house etc.. Hmmmm, guess how I know?!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Porsche Crest At last: The Master Shot

At last: The Master Shot

Here it finally is. After several postponements that were almost entirely my own fault for adding changes to the build, the engine preassembly master shot has been taken. Yes, a few things such as rocker arms, shafts and locks are missing in the photo, but it's otherwise all pretty much there--from the boat-tailed and shuffle-pinned case, to the Garrett GT4094 turbo, to the much, much massaged cylinder heads.

So what's next? Within two weeks, the build should begin and, as Chris Carroll of TurboKraft has suggested, with all the parts ready assembly will happen quickly. Not long after that, the dyno will determine if the parameters that Chris and I agreed to for the new motor have been met.

Those parameters, to remind both you and myself, were that the engine would produce 700HP on 100 octane gas at 1.2 bar, and that it would at the same time be sufficiently robust and overbuilt to last longer than a grenade with the pin pulled. To that end, very few compromises have occurred. Yes, you could argue that the displacement could be greater: maybe 3.6 or 3.8. And of course, there are always twin turbos. But those modifications are for someone else's dream.

In the end, what I want is a 3.5 single turbo motor that will be very fast, very reliable and able to produce a consistent 550 to 600Hp on 92 octane pump gas. The car that the engine is going back into is your standard, ubiquitous Guards Red 930 non-sunroof coupe with a totally stock body. Instead of the big front spoiler with large oil-cooler, the car has Billy Boat fan-cooled oil coolers in each of the two front fender wells. The wheels are HRE311 Fuchs-style 17s. The stance is at basic European ride height. And only the dual exhausts hint at anything unusual beneath the tea tray spoiler.

We each have our own visions for these cars. As far as I'm concerned, those visions are all pretty interesting. It's hard to screw up a car as iconic and amazing as a 930. It can be done, but it takes a hell of a lot of misspent effort and half-assed ideas. I'm almost always surprised at how much I admire 930s that I would never personally have built. I think it's safe to say that most 930 owners are a special breed of gear heads who approach these venerable beasts with what can only be called reverence.

The next chapter in this thread should be the last, and the most interesting.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
3.5l engine build , 911 turbo , cylinder head porting , porsche 930 turbo , turbocharger