Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help me regain faith

I bought a 79 930 almost three years ago. It was my dream car and I finally got it! it was lowered on 17" technology replica's, factory C2 full body kit, etc. Then I found 3 broken head studs! I only drove it three times before that. I decided to send it out for a rebuild that was supposed to take three months, it took two years and four months just for and engine rebuild! Now it came back with a non working speedometer, and no horn. The paint even got worse after sitting in a dusty shop for 2.5 yrs. (this is a well known porsche shop too, thats what kills me) The speedo, I was fine with it was acting little funny before I sent it away.

Flash forward I get it back last week and have had the time of my life driving it. Now it seems to need a window regulator and after all the time it's been gone, I'm beginning to absolutely hate this car. Even though it's not my daily driver I'm afraid I lost the porsche love. What I'm saying is I know my car is old, but does anyone else's 911/930 nickel and dime them with stupid crap? I feel like I'm 16 and driving one of my Karmann Ghias or beetles. just a constant running project. If so I want my AMG back.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Ryan, I can TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. I had spun two rod bearings about 9 years ago, and I am just now getting ready to get the engine running. Most of the time was spent saving up the money for the parts... ( Well over what the car is worth), but now I am almost there. DonE on this board will also understand where you are coming from. For me, working on the car is also part of the fun. Dont get me wrong, I would love to have the thing running (maybe in a few months), but I have other things going on that take up my time. Sounds to me like you are pissed off because the car took so long to get done (for whatever reason) and now, everytime another part breaks, you are getting fusterated. I dont blame you, but these ARE old cars. If you had a 996 turbo, etc...then you probably would not be having all these problems... BUT, you would have a civialized car. That is exactly why I like the older cars.... They are raw, fun cars. Now, the newer cars are nice as well...just not me. I like the older cars... no power steering, etc

I would say don't sweat the small stuff.. fix what needs to be fixed. Try working on it yourself. Keep the love!!!!!
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 04-19-2010, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Never had that kind of 930 that you describe of the over 30 I have owned for various lengths of ownership of each over the years. I did have one head stud failure however it may have been the fault of the manual boost controller that went, under WOT, from .8 bar past 1.3 bar with just a nudge on the knob. Since rebuilt ( both the controller and the broken stud) things seem to be back in control, at least till the next time I test @ a Road America touring event with this one. All the others have been virtually without expensive problems considering the miles ( way over 100K ) accumulatively driven.

Last edited by voitureltd; 04-20-2010 at 07:03 AM..
Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Your right, I am totally pissed that it took so long to get the engine done. AND your also right I bought this car because of no ABS, no power steering, no pasm, just a RAW race car like feeling. It's just frustrating that if you drive it like you stole it, they seem to hold up. But if you don't look at them for a week they cost you a $1000! lol.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
beancounter

With my car, I consider myself a curator of a rolling museum. I try to restore and renew things as needed, but try to keep it on the road so I can drive it regularly. Just got it back on the road after 7 months building the engine. 2 years + is a long time to keep the flame burning without any interaction.

I 2nd Brad's suggestion to DIY as much as possible. Helps cement the bond IMHO. If you're not into that, maybe a 30 year old car isn't really what you want/need.

There are days when my patience is tested, but I find myself enjoying working on these things as much as driving them. This past weekend it was pretty nice out and I probably should have been putting break in miles on my 930, but instead I was installing a new alternator in a friend's '78 SC. We got his car back on the road, and then gave it a bath. It was a great feeling and my friend was totally excited to have his car up and running again.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Nothing beats the excitement of getting in my 930 and hoping it starts... lol

Keep the faith brotha, we're all in this together!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Well, my car had sat for at least 3 years before I bought it, and I would guess even longer.
Once I got my hands on it and started driving it, all kinds of stuff failed /required replacing / required fiddling with etc.
But once past the old car-sitting too long-blues, and started driving the car EVERY day, I have had very few problems.
I think the key here is, don't let them sit very long, just......DRIVE FOREST DRIVE!

Mark
Old 04-20-2010, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
3 restos WIP = psycho

You've come this far and every excercise in faith demands the most near the finish line. Go after these final issues with tenacious resolve and you will be rewarded on the other side. Otherwise you'll be the one with pain of bad memories while the buyer of your car will be the one reaping the rewards of your trial. Stay true...the reward of perservence only pays if you complete the journey.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Mark's right you have to keep driving them, sitting kills the car.
It's like the Mel Gibson movie where the fellow is frozen for 50 years and then ages rappidly once thawed. All the age related issues that would have happened to your car (and then some extra due to sitting) in the past 3 years still happen, only now all at once. You just have to get through the sorting out and then will have enjoyment.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sudo apt-get purge 930

I have a love/hate relationship with mine. Which one depends on the day and what's wrong with it this time. I have seriously considered selling it.

"Worrying about depreciation on your car and keeping mileage down is like not ****ing your girlfriend so her next boyfriend finds her more appealing"
--clutch-monkey
Old 04-20-2010, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ryan..

I not sure who you used, but we have many capable shops in the area. Probably doesnt need a window reg.. but if so it's not too much of a big deal.

Yes, it ain't a new car, but then again, wait till' you need "out-of-warranty" service on one of them, you'll appreciate the simplicity of your ol' 930!

Paul
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
I'd go ballistic over a 2 year rebuild regardless of who's doing it!

As often as I've cursed my car or wanted to put bullet holes in it....I can't imagine an empty garage with nothing to tinker with. I spent 8 months doing my own engine and much of that time was working up the NUTZ to take the next step or chasing parts.

The only thing keeping my car from being completely finished... is me and my wallet. (and some of the upgrades or tricks people on this board come up with that I gotta do)

I write this as my $400 replacement oxygen sensor just showed up UPS Red...No question as to where or what i'll be doing tonight after work!

87 911 Turbo
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 04-20-2010, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
R.I.P.

i still can't get over how many people drop their car off and walk away from the shop doing the work with NO game plan... for even the smallest of repairs I always ask: How much? and When will it be done?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmatera View Post
i still can't get over how many people drop their car off and walk away from the shop doing the work with NO game plan... for even the smallest of repairs I always ask: How much? and When will it be done?
I did. It was supposed to be three months, and cheaper than the local shops I contacted. Thats why I chose his shop. I was lied to many times over. Come to find out his shop wasn't even fully built when I sent my car out there. You don't think I asked before I sent it? I'm NOT an idiot and this is not my first restoration. So I'm not one of the people you describe in your post. Actually I take a little offense to your comments.

Tested all switches, relays, and fuses. Next I'm going to remove the door panel and test the window motor. I think that may be the culprit it was moving VERY slowly a few times before it crapped out.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance and positive reinforcement. I'm going to sort this car out and have a positive attitude. It doesn't all have to get done in one week. Thanks again friends.

Last edited by poorsche930; 04-20-2010 at 05:29 PM..
Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsche930 View Post
.... It's just frustrating that if you drive it like you stole it, they seem to hold up. But if you don't look at them for a week they cost you a $1000! lol.
Aaah. Ze Porsche ist ze cruel mistress.
1972 911T Targa now with a good 2.7
1990 Miata (cheap 'n easy)
1993 C1500 Silverado (parts getter)
Old 04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Hang in there. There are bad days, but they all seem to melt away when driving the car fast.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
R.I.P.

I know it sounds cruel but get a finish date in writing, pay with a credit card and when the due date is up pull the car out of the shop. period. I feel your pain but see it happen everyday
Old 04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sometimes it's easier said than done. Especially when your engine is in pieces.... But I hear ya. After this major job I have a friend who's shop is 3 miles away that always says when it'll be done, the correct price (and it stays the same), and is just an all around genuine car guy. He treats everyone like that, not just me because I'm his friend. Plus he's always got some seriously cool cars in the shop that he's working on.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Canucks Fan

who was this reputable shop , just so another pellican, turbo or not doesn't have to deal with the same ***** you had to put up with.
I hardly get to drive mine I work overseas 7 months a year and there is always something to do with it but it is a 23 year old car so we have to expect a few little things at least we don't have Lucas, " the prince of darkness " ignitions
I seem to forget all the little things when I do get a chance to drive it though
Old 04-24-2010, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: