Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need help with emission testing ??

Hey All

I'm in a bit of a bind. I just e-tested the 89 Porsche 930 and it failed miserably on the 25mph test..CO% was 3.95 ..limit is 0.32. HC ppm is 56..limit is 58. idle test is
mint but the 25mph is crap. Question is..if I hook up the o2 sensor will this correct any rich mixture at this mph or do I need to reset the CO% down. The O2 was disconnected and the CO% was set before I got the car so I'm uncertain where to
go from here. If I need to change the mixture with the adjustment screw..approx how much should I turn it CW to lean it out enough. I do have the Catalytic convertor on it too.

Thanks for any info and help

Chris
Old 04-20-2010, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
read this thread: adjusting mixture

CW = richer
CCW = leaner

You should really adjust while connected to a CO meter. You sure your cat is still in working order?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Ok thanks. Also does the O2 sensor affect any of these things during the 25 mph test or is it more for at idle. I want to reattach the O2 sensor and bring the Co% back down and retest to see where its at. Is this an ok idea?

Chris
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry..forgot to ask..is the CO% set at idle or is it set while driving on a dyno at 25 mph. I have a 4 gas analizer here at work so I will give it a go...unfortunetly we don't have a dyno to run it on. Also ..what should the co% be set at for stock applications

Thanks again

Last edited by boosted 89; 04-20-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Did you get the car good and hot before it was tested? I failed my first test a few years ago and passed the next day by doing nothing more than getting the turbo and exhaust hot before they sniffed it. A few second gear pulls under boost will heat soak everything and the numbers may improve enough to pass without tinkering.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I do a retune and test every 2 years, so I have this down pat.

The cat will not work well unless the AFR is held very close to 14.7, and that's what the O2 sensor and the other parts of the lambda system do for you. It works on idle up through mid-range.

I only have the specs for my '86, so you need to find them them for your '89. There is a sticker on the rear crossmember when you open the engine cover. To adjust, you need to measure the CO before the cat, with the O2 sensor unplugged, car fully warmed up, and set it to something like 0.4-0.8% (or whatever the '89 spec is) at idle. As your adjust, you need to reset the idle speed to stay in spec, usually around 950 rpm. Then you plug the O2 sensor in and watch the CO as you slowly run it up and down from idle to about 3000 and it should stay around 14.7 AFR.

BTW it helps to have fresh plugs, set the timing, and make sure your WUR and system pressures are all up to spec first.

Last edited by WinRice; 04-20-2010 at 11:26 AM..
Old 04-20-2010, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I do this every 2 years....always easily pass. I have headers, GHL twin muffler, no cats, a K27 turbo, all air injection removed and O2 sensor unplugged. All my mechanic does is dial my CO back.....I run it through testing....then return and he resets my CO at 3%. All for $20 cash
Old 04-20-2010, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info guys. I have a very similar setup as Blaine except I reinstalled
the factory cat and muffler. I made sure I got the cat heated up good before the test. I brought it back to the emission testing facility for a retest after I turned the
mixture screw ccw a little bit and it dropped the CO% from 3.95% to 2.91%. I guess I will keep turnig the mixture down till it passes. HC also came down but the NOx went up from 161ppm to 233ppm..limit is 652..so I still have some room left to adjust.

Thanks again for the help

chris
Old 04-20-2010, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Chris,

You may have to lean it out quite a bit more than that. If I recall my mechanic leaned it out to about .8 as it idled..........just fyi.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Blaine

When your mechanic dialed it back, was it .8 at idle or at 25mph. My idle reading
is .02 co% so its fine. Do they only do a 2 speed idle test for you? The limit here is .32 at 25mph and 1.0 at idle. seems like the head temps were getting up in temps too after the second time

Chris
Old 04-20-2010, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
He set CO% to about .8 at idle. Here is a copy of my emissons report....they use a tailpipe sniffer and test at idle and 25mph. Note cruise (25mph) and idle readings and the limits allowable in the state of Washington. Hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Wow your cruise limit is much higher than here in Ontario Canada in the CO%. our limit is .32% at cruise and 1.0% at idle..maybe they have them mixed up here .lol
I'm going to give it another try before going to work..30 min drive on the highway should get it hot enough and I'll dial down the CO adjustment screw quite a bit more and test..if I go too low I'll see it with the NOx and hopefully get it dialed in.

Thanks again

Chris
fingers crossed!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Well...tested it this mornng after running downthe highway for 1/2 hour
turned the adjustment screw counter clockwise while at the emission place..ran it and ..FAIL..
hc ppm ..limit 58
hc ppm actual 53
CO% limit 0.32
CO% actual 4.27
NO ppm limit 652
NO ppm actaul 164
all@ 25 mph test

idle test passed but CO% limit was 1.0
actual was 1.0..just passed

Did I turn the adjustment screw the wrong way??? left=lean=counterclockwise
right=rich= clockwise

Chris
Old 04-21-2010, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
You turned it the right way. When you're checking the CO and setting to .4 - .8 your testing before the cat with the O2 unplugged and the engine warmed up, correct?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
OK..I've removed the o2 sensor and put the sniffer in that location..before the
cat..run the engine at idle..hot and my readings are a 0.010 co%. When I depress
the adjustment pin and rotate it cw or ccw and let the car settle back to stabble
idle the readings aren't changing..it also indicates 14.6 afr at idle..do I need to hold the adjustment pin down and take a reading then??rpms are at 975 ish
if I rev it up to 2000 rpm the co% climbs up over 3.0% and afr goes to 13.4 ish
What might I be doing wrong or is the adjustment screw way out of range. The
idle change when I push down on the adjuster.

Chris
Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted 89 View Post
if I rev it up to 2000 rpm the co% climbs up over 3.0% and afr goes to 13.4 ish
Mine does the same thing with the O2 sensor unplugged, you need the O2 sensor plugged in to allow lambda system to control the mixture.

Set the idle CO to 0.4-0.8, set the idle speed, reset the CO to 0.4-0.8, then install and plug in the O2 sensor.

When I do this with mine, all my values are about 1/2 to 1/3 of the local limits. I don't have my test printout with me, but our limits are pretty close the California levels, so that's not bad, especially since I have C2 cams.

BTW, if the O2 sensor has been unplugged for quite awhile, it could be toast. I have a dummy (bad sensor) I run between tests just to plug the hole, and save the good sensor for test day.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure whats happening here but when I try to adjust the mixture screw with the 4mm allen key, I push down and rotate the key and can feel some resistance while doing this but my CO% does not change. I've moved the key both cw and ccw and the numbers don't change. Will this screw eventually bottom out because I can turn this thing and it seems to keep turning no matter how many times I turn it. I can't seem to get it dialed up past 0.10%and the idle doesn't change so I'm not needing to adjust it. I also think the O2 is *****ed because if I plug it in the CO% climbs and the afr reads 10.4..boy this seems hopeless. I must be missing a step. I've looked through the service manual for adjustment but it says exactly what you've all been telling me. I guess being a newbie at these Porsches doesn't really help. I'm sure I'll learn.

Chris
Old 04-21-2010, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Put the allen key into the socket on the fuel head, push it down lightly until it contacts, then move each direction until you feel it drop in further and engage. While you're holding it engaged, adjust the CO where you need it, in very small increments.

Basically, the socket has to move down and engage the actual screw on the control arm before you can adjust anything. Just practice pushing the socket down, light twisting each way until you feel it drop further and engage. You'll get the feel for it.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: