Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How's your 3.2 conversion running?

Just checking in on those that have done the conversion. How's it going? Any issues or regrets? I am finally goinng to put mine together and wanted to see how others were doing.

Ben
Old 04-24-2010, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

took mine out tonight, cool evening runs sweet pulls hard!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Ben,

Mine's still going strong after 4 years. I get email and updates from the guy that bought mine in 2008. It completely amazes me that it's still alive with no major problems. He tracks it all over europe all season.

I come over here and reminisce when I'm bored. I miss the car alot sometimes.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
No regrets from my camp, build it right the first time and they will last! Mine is a great example.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mine still hauls from the day I did it....

No regrets but things I need to sort out:
1. A catch can for the oil tank breather as the car smells bad when it's just vented to the atmo, really bad...
2. Headers with heat, I miss heat bad! I have a protomotive heater but the oil line backdate stops that from fitting onto the engine mounted cooler.

Notes:
•You will need to upgrade your torsion bars or you'll get extreme squat, I have coil overs now from rebel racing, fixed my issue.
•My clutch slips pretty badly too, will go to a 930 disc soon.
•The factory elbow from your AFM to the intake will likely blow off, I've seen this on many conversions, Jerry's excluded, I replaced mine with a silicon elbow and tapped the AFM for idle and brake booster vacuums. (I can send you the crappy camera phone pic I took of mine to show another member).

You will not regret it and if you do you can change it back pretty quickly. It really is no more complicated than a typical, exhaust, intake and chip upgrade on any car. I don't think I could drive the car again if I had to go back to 217hp!
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 04-29-2010, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Juan chimed in.... his conversion is faster over a 1/4 mile than a GT1, GT2 and Carrera GT!!

How could anyone regret that?!!
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 04-29-2010, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence88mph View Post
Mine still hauls from the day I did it....

No regrets but things I need to sort out:
1. A catch can for the oil tank breather as the car smells bad when it's just vented to the atmo, really bad...
2. Headers with heat, I miss heat bad! I have a protomotive heater but the oil line backdate stops that from fitting onto the engine mounted cooler.

Notes:
•You will need to upgrade your torsion bars or you'll get extreme squat, I have coil overs now from rebel racing, fixed my issue.
•My clutch slips pretty badly too, will go to a 930 disc soon.
•The factory elbow from your AFM to the intake will likely blow off, I've seen this on many conversions, Jerry's excluded, I replaced mine with a silicon elbow and tapped the AFM for idle and brake booster vacuums. (I can send you the crappy camera phone pic I took of mine to show another member).

You will not regret it and if you do you can change it back pretty quickly. It really is no more complicated than a typical, exhaust, intake and chip upgrade on any car. I don't think I could drive the car again if I had to go back to 217hp!

I had the same problem with fumes from the crankcase/oil tank venting and had to extend a hose from my catch can to vent under the car.
The squat with stock tortion bars is extreme. I upgraded to 26mm bars with Bilstein sport shocks and still see a lot of squat. I like the idea of helper coil-overs.
A silicon elbow or better yet, one of the hard throttle body attachments from somebody like TruboKraft is almost a must.
I agree, I could never go back to stock hp.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wonderful to hear from all of you. I agree about the vent catch can; I recently replacesd all the intake gaskets and replaced the stock air box with a cone filter. I just put a cloth over the oil tank vent and the inside of the car smelled like oil fumes. I changed it to vent inside the wheel well and the smell is gone.
How many miles did you all have on your car when you did the conversion?
thanks,
Ben
Old 05-01-2010, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Into the wheel well ey, no catch can?

Mine had about 62,000 miles on it now has about 67,000.

Just do it dude, you wont regret it!
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 05-02-2010, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Well, actually, I ran from one of the small vent's to the charcoal canister in the passenger wheel well. I will add a catch can when I add the turbo but I may still run it to the wheel well because I am concerned that the smell will still permeate the engine and passenger compartments.
I am almost ready. Just need to source a few pipes, get the stage two chip reburned to stage one, make a "test pipe" to go in place of the turbo cat and get the turbo tin powdercoated.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Turbo conversion or bigger displacement?

My turbo'd 3.2L ran for 5 years hard with many 200 mile, daily round trips. When I tore it down I wanted to just put it back together. The wear was minimal except the small ends and rockers. But, those may of not been replaced when the motor was rebuilt before me.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 05-02-2010, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinkley View Post
Ben,

Mine's still going strong after 4 years. I get email and updates from the guy that bought mine in 2008. It completely amazes me that it's still alive with no major problems. He tracks it all over europe all season.

I come over here and reminisce when I'm bored. I miss the car alot sometimes.
Yep, I'm running Jerry's car. Sweet as. Had a remap last week and found we needed bigger injectors to keep things fuelled correctly for the track, they' ll be going in in a few weeks then it'll be mapped again.

It's now running 22mm TB's front with '89 Turbo struts; rear was TB's + 100lb coilovers to control the squat, but on track they're not progressive enough. They're now off and replaced by 29mm TB's with custom valved Bilsteins set-up for me by them to my spec. Adjustable ARB's (sways) front and rear. Looking forward to getting back on track.

As Jerry said..it gets used..

Question: What arrangement have you guys got for the intake? Can you post up some pictures as I need to give it some thought.

Last edited by Twinny; 05-12-2010 at 05:29 PM..
Old 05-12-2010, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: