Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Difference Between Standard And Long Neck IC

Just wondering what is better between the two and what mods need to be done?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Let me take a shot at an answer:

The long neck requires that you remove the secondary intake manifold (otherwise known as the boost recirculation manifold) that sits on top of and marry's up with the intake manifold at the throttle body. The long neck then mounts directly to the throttle body. But with removing the manifold, you'll have to install a BOV and make provisions for all the other stuff that was attached to that manifold (boost pressure sender, over-boost pressure switch, and decel valve if you choose to keep it).

Short neck intercoolers: Just plug and play. Take off the stock, and put on the replacement. As far as I know, both have similar air flow and cooling capabilities (assuming the same footprint)...but can't speak from experience having never compared the two.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Jeeeez,
I'm impressed obviously answered by not only by a Gentleman but a Scholar.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds live a great explanation!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
Jeeeez,
I'm impressed obviously answered by not only by a Gentleman but a Scholar.

Cole
We bad, Cole! Always nice to hear over-rated compliments from our sage listeners.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well done Grasshopper !!!!!!
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Everytime I've taken my intercooler off I'm usually drinking beer from a can. Does that mean I don't have a long neck cooler ??
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-27-2010, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Todd,

Now I know you have been listening to Mark way too much.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Here is a picture of my prototype short neck intercooler next to a Kokeln long neck intercooler.
You will notice the outlet on the far right hand side of each unit. The short neck attaches to the stock BOV housing wich attaches to the throttle body while the long neck attaches directly to the throttle body. It simply has a longer inlet neck to compensate for the missing BOV housing. This part of the design has nothing to do with performance.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
Brian, that is a work of art!!! As usual!! So your looks alot thinner than the Kokeln. Will there be a performance penalty ?
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9dreizig View Post
Everytime I've taken my intercooler off I'm usually drinking beer from a can. Does that mean I don't have a long neck cooler ??
With my most recent Fred Flinstone BOV modification, I used the guts of a beer can as part of the plumbing. After drinking it, of course.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
The performance penalty and baseline is the stock unit. Mine actually fits a stock 930 deck lid. It will have a 3/8" rubber gasket to seal the area around the deck lid. I'll start a separate thread on it soon as it is nearly finished.

Here is a (bad) picture of the stock BOV housing area where the short neck intercooler bolts up. This housing sits on the throttle body. The thickness of this housing is the difference between a long neck and short neck intercooler.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Here is a picture of my prototype short neck intercooler

Send me that one, and I'll test it for you.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Ha! That one no longer exists. You will note it is blank, not having any accessory ports. It was used early on for gross fitment testing. I posted that picture because it is a direct compare between long and short neck intercoolers which fits the needs of this thread.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Another benefit of long neck IC is that deletion of the stock massive BOV housing should allow more air to circulate between engine and IC - which can only be good for cooling both engine and IC.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: