Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Cross country trips in a 930?

How do you drive cross country with one of these puppies with out getting it boosted from the hotel when you sleep at night?

I checked with Lo-Jack, and they have pretty spotty coverage throughout the U.S.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Removable steering wheel.

-Mark
Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74911 View Post
Removable steering wheel.

-Mark
I likey... Both Ideas...
Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have driven cross country in a 930. Never had a problem. Stay at good hotels and you should be fine. If they really want it they can tow it. I don't think these ever got stolen alot. Anything is possible though.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
wheel clamp ?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Sleep next to it with a Colt Python .357 magnum...or something equally obnoxious and noisy like a Desert Eagle.

Be sure to get your hotel room on the ground floor and park right in front of your room window. Tie a string to the bumper and run the other end through your opened window and connect it to the pile of empty beer cans you left sitting next to the TV after watching the X rated hotel garbage that your wife won't let you watch at home. Someone messes with your car, you'll know about it in time to unleash a barrage of firepower.

Outside of fuel pump fuse or steering wheel removal (if an option) don't forget about securing your wheels with locking lug nuts. If they can't steal your car, they'll settle for the wheels.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have been cross country may times. Park it in a well lighted spot where the night desk can see it and ask them kindly ( with a little cash also? ) to keep an eye on it. So far I have been fine.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
My wife's cousin drove our 930 from New Jersey to California for us when we moved. He and his buddy stayed at campgrounds for the most part. I guess if you sleep within 10 feet of the car at night without solid walls in between, it makes it harder to steal.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Sleep next to it with a Colt Python .357 magnum...or something equally obnoxious and noisy like a Desert Eagle.

Be sure to get your hotel room on the ground floor and park right in front of your room window. Tie a string to the bumper and run the other end through your opened window and connect it to the pile of empty beer cans you left sitting next to the TV after watching the X rated hotel garbage that your wife won't let you watch at home. Someone messes with your car, you'll know about it in time to unleash a barrage of firepower.

Outside of fuel pump fuse or steering wheel removal (if an option) don't forget about securing your wheels with locking lug nuts. If they can't steal your car, they'll settle for the wheels.
Post of the day
Old 04-29-2010, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

All are good ideas. I got a cheepo alarm system from Radio Shack that sets off an alarm which buzzes like an old fashoned pager. Like a bank alarm that sounds off at the cop shop,
not the bank. The senseativity can be set so high that even the wind will set it off. Can also be used in conjunction with a non silent alarm.
Also, one could display a small blinking red LED on the dash to give the impression the car was bugged.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Why do you think somebody will be interested in your car?

I believe they will be looking for a cherokee or pick up truck instead...
Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Antonett View Post
Why do you think somebody will be interested in your car?

I believe they will be looking for a cherokee or pick up truck instead...
I geuss it depends on the location and local interests.

I see a number of Porsches for sale on insurance auctions as theft recoveries. I'd rather not be one of those statistics.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Most of those THEFT RECOVERYS were done by the owners to get out from under the notes, via doing an ins. job or letting thier buddy do one. Most of the ones in fla. and cal. especially in large citys were probably actual thefts done for for someone lookong for parts
Old 05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Last summer I caught 2 mutts trying to break into my car and neighbors car 2-30 in the morning...........I WAS GOING TO TAKE CARE OF BIZNESSS....But I don't need rev-AL in front of my door....Long story short....I followed/tracked them down in the hood and got 5/0 to do the rest.

I just read on 6speedonline. 996tt forums. One owner just had his car stolen right out his complex-garage. He had alarms and some other stuff....Didn't work.

I also read some guy put a 2secondary alarm system/time delay, with serious decibals inside the car. The thief had his ears bleeding and was disoriented when the cops came. The owner was going to be charged with something, but luckily a small alarm sticker was on the window.

Walt
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The best protection is Gracie, she's a 90lb. Doberman who thinks my car is her's. She loves to ride in the back seat and sometimes won't even let me in. We were going from Indiana to Florida and some guy walked up to look at the car at a truck stop while I was paying for gas and Gracie nearly gave him a heart attack.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I drove mine from Columbus, Ohio to Los Angelos, California twice once in 98 and once in 2006 never had a problem plan your route stay at decent hotels NO Motels, you should be fine. I would think about an alarm and possibly a kill switch, even Gracie the doberman but all in all you should be fine. There are times when I wish I still had the 930 for such trips it's where they shine the most. Good Luck with your trip.
2012 Audi A8L
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena
Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole930 View Post
The best protection is Gracie, she's a 90lb. Doberman who thinks my car is her's. She loves to ride in the back seat and sometimes won't even let me in. We were going from Indiana to Florida and some guy walked up to look at the car at a truck stop while I was paying for gas and Gracie nearly gave him a heart attack.

Cole

Good girl, Gracie! Bite their cojones off, but not your master's.

My dogs are love machines, your typical golden retrievers. Their response would be "come on in, the water's fine, let's go for a ride"!
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Cole, I'm glad Gracie was nice to me when I stayed over at your place on the way home from NJ picking up my 930! Big thumbs up about your dog protecting your 930!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

That's our Gracie. If you come to the door, and she doesn't know you, you would think she is comming through the glass and you would never even consider trying to go in. If someone lets you in she then thinks you came to see her and turns into the " I want pet's slut" she really is. You could not get this dog to bite.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

all good ideas above for sure,

another good idea is to keep the interior clean and uncluttered at night so a would be thief will pass by your car looking for cameras i pods etc. there is a more likely chance your car will be broken into than stolen if there looks like good stuff inside. another idea is stay in small towns and bed and breakfast type places there normally off the beaten path and normally a bit more secure,

staying in a hotels rather than motels makes no difference unless there's security! like my uncle used to say "detective for many years" a thief doesn't car shop in crappy parts of town,they go to where they know the nice cars are if that's what they are looking for.

none the less try to enjoy your drive the new towns and people it is a great experience.

cheers ed
Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: