Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help with trans - reverse detent too deep?

My car has an odd problem...it will not go into reverse at times. Essentially, you can't shift the lever left at all, though 1-4 work fine. It felt like the gate slot was just missing...

Did the usual, adjusted it, shift coupler replaced, etc...No difference. 1 out of every ten times, it just won't go...

Figured since the motor was out for other things, this would be a great time to fix this . Even with the motor out, and a large T-handle on the shifter, it just won't go into reverse regularly. Remove the rear detent, and everything works perfectly.

What I found was interesting. Looking through the inspection cover, the rear detent seems to sit about 1/16 inch too deep. It will not allow the shift rod wedge plate to rotate counterclockwise, ride on the detent plunger and raise it, and engage reverse. If you nudge the detent up even so slightly with your finger, or a philips screwdriver, it works fine... I hope I am explaining this well...

I took out the reverse detent, and the end of the plunger is scratched up, where the shift shaft/wedge is hitting it. Again, it sits 1/16inch too low... Rather than engaging the rounded end, the mechanism hits the body of the plunger

Am I missing something here? Is this due to wear and tear? I could file 1/16 of off the detent plunger and round it off/polish it, and it would work fine. I just don't want to defeat some kind of reverse safety mechanism.

Guys, is there something I am missing here? Some kind of adjustment? I just don't see it...

Thanks, Bo
Old 05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The engagement of reverse is done under the end cap. There is a piece about 2 inches long with a clevis on both ends and the engagement rocks the piece as you shift for reverse. I have seen them broken and I have seen them breaking making reverse selection difficult.
Bruce
Old 05-01-2010, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Bruce, everything under the end cap looks fine. Clevis works great, gears look fine. Even with the end cap removed, and the gear and clevis loose, the selector shaft will not go into reverse. It hits the detent when you try to rotate it and stops... The detent is sitting slightly low...odd...
Old 05-02-2010, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ok, fixed it. Thought I would post on here in case this is useful to someone else...

I went out and bought a thin coil spring of roughly the diameter of the reverse plunger at the local hardware store. Then I clipped off just one of the coils. I slipped this onto the plunger (tight fit), and put it back together. It works beautifully... clicks into reverse very smoothly. I am surprised how such a tiny "shim" makes such a huge difference. The plunger probably sits about 1/32 higher right now...

How this happened, I have no idea. I hope this helps someone in the future, if you lose reverse and its not the coupler. If you get reverse back when the reverse detent plunger is removed, this little trick may help!

Bo
Old 05-02-2010, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Did you take any pix? I'm trying to follow, but....
Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There was no easy way to take pic's, as this was all internal. You can barely see where the selector actuator touched the reverse detent through the inspection plate, it just wouldn't show up in a pic. I tried to find diagrams of the trans internals on this site, but didn't see any...
Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: