Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Boost gauge quickly jumps to full boost

Just installed my rebuilt engine.
Had my first test run yesterday, and was very easy on the pedal.

Engine responded quickly, but I noticed that the boost gauge does not increase like it is supposed to.
Now in starts going up, and then suddenly jumps up past 1 bar (end of boost gauge)

Could it be bad grounding, that I have not connected wire correctly...etc ??

As I remember, white wire is connected to boost switch, and brown to boost sensor. (like it was before)
1986 944 Turbo
Old 05-05-2010, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by totle View Post

Engine responded quickly, but I noticed that the boost gauge does not increase like it is supposed to.
Now in starts going up, and then suddenly jumps up past 1 bar (end of boost gauge)

As I remember, white wire is connected to boost switch, and brown to boost sensor. (like it was before)
maybe the rubber boot is cracked or torn in the wastegate?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I had the WG open, due to powder coated the top aluminum cover.
The diaphragm looked very nice.

Could it be that the diaphragm has been displaced when assembled ?
1986 944 Turbo
Old 05-05-2010, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by totle View Post

Trond,
First off, which boost gauge are you referring to, the factory electric or a VDO mechanical gauge? Secondly, when the gauge went past 1 BAR, did you feel like you were driving a car that was in the 1 BAR Zone?

If its the factory electric gauge, I would first off check the grounding as you mentioned in your post. When these gauges peg past the 1 BAR mark, that means the circuit is basically an open. So, I would start looking for a lose connection somewhere.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I am referring to the factory one inside the tach.
I have a 1 bar spring, and previous it has never been above 0,8-0,9
Old 05-05-2010, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Ok, factory electric boost gauge.
When it's accelerating and the boost gauge is pegging, does it feel like its accelerating at 1 BAR of boost?
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERK I View Post
Trond,
First off, which boost gauge are you referring to, the factory electric or a VDO mechanical gauge? Secondly, when the gauge went past 1 BAR, did you feel like you were driving a car that was in the 1 BAR Zone?

If its the factory electric gauge, I would first off check the grounding as you mentioned in your post. When these gauges peg past the 1 BAR mark, that means the circuit is basically an open. So, I would start looking for a lose connection somewhere.
+1. Outside of bad grounds and erronious gauge readings, if indeed your car is boosting beyond 1.0 bar, then be sure to check that your boost pressure signal line to the wastegate is secure on both ends. And finally, when you had the WG apart to powdercoat the top, perhaps when re-assembling it you got the diaphram askew in it's seat and it's not sealing properly.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
To be honest I am really not sure.
Have not driven the car since November, and had the SC cam and K27-7200 upgrade.
But when driving I was kind of feeling not hitting 1 bar
Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Also, you didn't mention if you are running a different intercooler on your engine. If you are, you have to run a ground strap from the engine case to the intercooler to insure there is an adequate ground. The boost sensor on mounted on the intercooler is extremely sensitive to any variations of resistance (engine ground to IC, for example) and will give false readings if not grounded adequately.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Stock intercooler
Old 05-05-2010, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

1 bar + stock intercooler = short engine life. Get a better IC or dial it back to .8 bar.

Just my .02
Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Bigger IC is my next upgrade
However Norway has much colder climate than US so I guess that a bigger intercooler is more important in warmer climate.
Or am I totally off?

Last edited by totle; 05-05-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Old 05-05-2010, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I am in aggreement with everyone on checking the pressure sender and the grounding.
One more thought, check for a vacuum leak. When I changed my WUR, I inadvertantly connected a vacuum line to the "vent" fitting on the WUR: needless to say it caused a vacuum leak and similar readings on the guage, faulty readings.
1977 930 (recently sold)
1976 911S , 1973 1/2 911T, 1972 911E (long gone)
Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Just an update.
Removed the intercooler yesterday and found out that I had switched the wires between the boost switch and boost sensor :-(
Now the boost gauge works, but boost switch is bad so needs to be replaced.
1986 944 Turbo
Old 05-07-2010, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Excellent! Enjoy.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: