Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Snapped FR torsion bar, any suggestions.

While out for a drive today in my 79 930 the front rh torsion bar snapped. My car is lowered pretty far the wheels have been tucked for years. It mostly sees action 2 to 3 days a week. With the occasional early morning blast through the back country twisties. Any suggestions for replacements? Stock, or after market? All and any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

Last edited by poorsche930; 05-05-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Unless you're going to replace the rears, I'd keep stock ones up front to keep the car balanced. The question is, why did it fail? Either there was a scratch on it through the protective costing, that allowed rust to damage it or your bushings are shot, allowing the t-bar to rub on something (and then the protective coating/rust issue starts).
Old 05-05-2010, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Unless you're going to replace the rears, I'd keep stock ones up front to keep the car balanced. The question is, why did it fail? Either there was a scratch on it through the protective costing, that allowed rust to damage it or your bushings are shot, allowing the t-bar to rub on something (and then the protective coating/rust issue starts).
Guess its time to put poly bushings in there then I haven't had time to throw it on my friends lift as his race car is stuck on there with no rear suspension. All I see is about 2" of the bar hanging out at the rear.

Duh' I never thought about the rears. That would be one goofy ride with thicker bars in the front and stockers in the rear. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds like you rubber bushings are shot and you should do all the bushings.

As this is expensive considering the labor, alignment, and hopefully corner balance -- it is a good idea to do the full suspension including the shocks (rebuildable) as they can effect ride height.

Smart Racing Products or Elephant Racing are the best sources for torsion bars.

Check out Elephant's Polly Bronze or replacement rubber bushings. Most would not toutch straight polly bushings except on a budget race build.

You can upgrade sways latter if you want.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: