Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

fyi Valvoline VR1 or Racing synthetic...

50% OFF AUTOZONE...

Saw this on the 911 TECH Forums.

Walt
Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thanks for posting this... just got back from buying all the 20-50 VR1 street synthetic the closest store had at the moment.

This is a smokin deal on some of the best high ZDDP motor oil made these days and sale prices go to the end of the May.

Sounds like it might be a month of May INDY 500 promotion.

Stock Up!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
I just checked thier website. 4 29 a quart which is what I payed for it at Kragen.
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you mean the non synthetic Valvoline VR1 20w50, the current sale price is $2.15 a quart or half of $4.29

The synthetic Valvoline VR1 20w50 is normally $9.49/quart so it's $4.25/quart for the rest of the month.

Both are high in ZDDP, and they mention that on the back of the bottle.

I havn't seen a deal on premium quality oil like this in a longggg time.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I did call my local autozone and yes its half price... I didn't see it in the circular, oh well...... Enjoy

Last edited by wjfk32; 05-11-2010 at 08:31 AM..
Old 05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfk32 View Post
I did call my local autozone and yes its half price... I didn't see it in the circular, oh well...... Enjoy
Stopping by the local Autozone tonight and jumping on that! One hell of a good price. Thanks for the tip.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
What would you guys recommend for a 1987 930, the regular or the synthetic.

Thanks
Mike M
Old 05-12-2010, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm100 View Post
What would you guys recommend for a 1987 930, the regular or the synthetic.

Thanks
Mike M
I use the regular dinosaur squeezin's in my '87 and change it yearly regardless of miles driven. I have virtually no oil leaks (well....none that touch the garage floor anyway), but my only concern with synthetic oil is that I may spring a leak.

All this talk about coking up your turbo with dino oil is probably true to a point....the point being that it's not a big issue (coking) in a street driven car. By the time you wind your way through the neighborhood getting back to your garage - after a leasurely stroll in the country - your turbo is not even hot enough to coke the oil. After a blast on the track WOT/full boost, then definitely several minutes of cooldown required to avoid the coking.

So, other than twice the cost and perhaps better lubrication with synthetics, I submit that most 930 drivers will not see a marked benefit.

Form your own opinion....they're like a - - holes, we all have one
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

What he said..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-12-2010, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

There is a 12 quart limit per customer. They still said the would get me pretty much as I wanted in 12 quart increments so I orderded about 6 years worth. Now if they call me I will be all set for awhile. Great oil, I use it almost all the time. Also available at the same price $26 something for a case of 12 quarts of 20W50 or for straight 50 or 60 weight VR1 for the really heavy usage types. What a deal.

Last edited by voitureltd; 05-12-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Old 05-12-2010, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Is this oil ok for running on the street? racing oil generally doesnt have any of the detergents in it to help it retain the conaminants in the oil. It is intended to be used at the track then replaced after each race not run for thousands of miles. they didnt limit me i bought 24 quarts, but wondering how many miles i should run it.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

should be ok for the street. folks alot smarter than me use it on the street. i have been using it in the 88 911 for years on reccomendations and the PO as using it in the 930. i got the last 19 quarts of 20/50 they had in stock, and got 3 qts of the straight 50wt. i will blend a quart of the straight 50wt with the 20/50 in the 930.
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si
Old 05-16-2010, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

There are both racing and "not street legal" versions of the VR1 oil. IIRC the not street legal doesn't have the anti-sludge and detergent additives, so if you use it....change it often. Great for the track apparently where oil changes happen after each session. The regular VR1 is fine for the street, just as long as you're not running with a CAT 'cause the zinc will not do it any good.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

stock up while you can... it will likely never be this cheap again.

that said, oil is the last thing anyone wants to think or hear about here in s. florida and the gulf coast these days . . .
Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I went down to Autozone a few days ago and liberated them of all they had...8 quarts. Apparently it's not in great demand and they don't maintain replacement stock. I told them to order more and that I would buy it all. I asked about giving me a "rain check"....and the stupid teenage crackhead just gave me a vacant stare. These kids will be running the country when we're all dead and gone.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
There are both racing and "not street legal" versions of the VR1 oil. IIRC the not street legal doesn't have the anti-sludge and detergent additives, so if you use it....change it often. Great for the track apparently where oil changes happen after each session. The regular VR1 is fine for the street, just as long as you're not running with a CAT 'cause the zinc will not do it any good.
nope no cat on my car the only cat in my car sits in the passenger seat and it's not the furry kind lol
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-20-2010, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: