Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

965 P&C in a 930

I am finally getting back to reassembling the 85 930. I purchased a new set of 965 P&C when I started the project. Due to a number of life issues, there has been a long delay to get the car back together.

I have the 965 P&C installed in the 930 case with no problems. The 965 uses an aluminum ring as a "gasket" between the cylinder and the head. The 930 does not. The 930 head will not seat on the 965 cylinders unless the aluminum gaskets are used or the heads are machined. Do the 965 heads have smaller combustion chambers? What should be the installed deck height of the pistons ?

If the deck height is too small, there will be potential valve clearance problems. If the deck height is too large the compression ration will be really low.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Tom
Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If machining the heads is required why not just machine both the heads and cylinders for flame rings.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Mr. Tom,

You might consider giving Chris Carrol at TurboKraft a call he has all the answers and can probably tell you exactly what to do and where to go. He's a great guy and always willing to help.

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 05-11-2010 at 10:01 AM..
Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

It's been a long time. Aren't the 965 P&C's the fully finned 3.3 units? I want to say we used an o ring and copper gasket (with copper spray) for the bases. Prevents leaks. Is thus what you did?

Can't remember what we did between the head and cyl.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmisquez View Post
If machining the heads is required why not just machine both the heads and cylinders for flame rings.
+1 and defo what i would do if machining anyway...great mod
"92" 964 turbo,Modified and recently rebuilt using all ARP hardware..
Purpose built fuel controller set up to acheive perfect fuel curve on CIS inj.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I had a new set of C2 Ps & Cs. Decided to sell them and went with Nickies.

Here's a thread where I solicited some input from the board.

C2 cylinders on earlier case
Old 05-13-2010, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Oxner View Post
I am finally getting back to reassembling the 85 930. I purchased a new set of 965 P&C when I started the project..........
Tom
Hi, Tom

I got the same plan as yours, but still can't make up my mind going for it.
First of all, I wonder, is 930 cylinder head (p/n 930 104 043 09) exactly the same as 965's (p/n 930 104 043 13)? If it is! I will use 965 cylinder as a replacement anyway, even the 965 head gasket will lower the compression ratio.

Still looking for the solution from the forum....

Joseph
Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4duke View Post
I had a new set of C2 Ps & Cs. Decided to sell them and went with Nickies.

Here's a thread where I solicited some input from the board.

C2 cylinders on earlier case
Is the cylinder/head sealing issue make you turn to Nickies?

Joseph
Old 05-13-2010, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Contact Steve Weiner at Rennsport(Pelican username: Steve@Rennsport). He has done many of these conversions with 930 head to C2 cylinders. I believe he is using a sealing ring solution that requires the heads and cylinders to be machined for perfect seal.

Edit:
Also, I assuming you also purchased the viton o-rings that fit into the bottom of the barrel of the cylinders? As with all cylinder conversions, check your deck height and adjust to factory spec.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P

Last edited by WERK I; 05-14-2010 at 07:25 AM..
Old 05-14-2010, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I've used a thin coat of K&W copper coat spray gasket sealer on older BMW head gaskets with good results even though they say to install them dry.

A street car shop I used to work at did that all the time so I did too.
If it did anything good it helped seal the many water jacket passageways between the head and block and the cam oil feed and return passageways between the head and block

It may also help with heat transfer on metal gaskets along with making a good sticky seal.

It comes in a little can with a fuzzy round applicator brush too.
It's good sticky stuff and there are some appications like thin metal gaskets that it works really well on.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: