Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
puffing smoke from oil tank

I just recently noticed puffing smoke coming from my oil tank when i check the oil with the car idling. There is also a slight miss that comes and goes when driving the car. I can feel a loss in power and the engine is vibrating more than normal when the missing is prevalent.
I smelled the puffing smoke and it does not smell like fuel and it is not water vapor burning off either because I have driven the car for an 8 hour drive and it was plenty warm before checking the oil, temps were 200-210 on the gage when checking.
I have yet to take a compression test and pull the plugs as part of my diagnosis, but wanted to check the forum in the meantime before my schedule allows me to start removing the upper engine parts to get the plugs out.
The puffing is definitely related to the engine firing order and my guess is that i have damaged some rings on a cylinder, but want others opinions.

Fred
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Yep, it's time for a leak down test! Your miss could easily be a on again, off again, fouled plug from too much oil getting past a broken ring or two. A miss fire will certainly cause some vibration too.
Mark
Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would guess broken rings, too.

Doug
Old 05-17-2010, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Its blow-by past the rings...
Old 05-17-2010, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
beancounter

I had the exhaust-like puffing from my oil filler too...a test revealed 44% leakdown on #6. Had broken rings on 3 cylinders, but the real problem was that the #6 piston had gotten very hot and then deformed. I never measured the jugs as I replaced the P&Cs entirely, but #6 piston was clearly thrashed. You can see how huge the top ring land is in this photo. The second ring land got squashed and the ring would not rotate:

My car ran well, and was pretty strong with no smoking on boost or decel. Sounds like you are probably due for a rebuild. Has the engine been apart before?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Sounds like you have the 295 piece ring kit installed. BTDT.

My attempt to control the obvious....
Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

A simple test for ring blow-by is put your hand over the crankcase breather and feel for pressure while the engine is running. Although everyone raves about Mahle stuff, they still allow blow-by (at higher RPM's) to a certain extent even with good leak down numbers.

Its hard to believe you have a miss with possible oil getting into the cylinder. I just finished rebuilding my motor with #5 cylinder having something like 50% leak down. It was using about a quart of oil every 300 miles but never missed. If you are stock, the OEM Bosch CDI is pretty stout and can burn through a modest amount of oil. Check the plug for excessive oil.

In any event, a leak down is in your future.

Last edited by DonE; 05-17-2010 at 08:06 PM..
Old 05-17-2010, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i kinda got similar symptoms. how much will it cost to remedy the problem assuming it's the rings approx.?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickster8888 View Post
i kinda got similar symptoms. how much will it cost to remedy the problem assuming it's the rings approx.?
Are you doing the work or someone else?

You can save a lot of money removing the engine and stripping the motor to a long block.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

was going to have a shop do all the work.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: