Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lee Rice Fueler, vacuum sensing WUR

The Rice Fueler used to be a great set up and an alternitive to the Andial Fueler.

It increased fuel delivery via lower control pressure on boost than stock but also lowered control pressure with first acceleration instead of after .5 bar boost was reached.

Came across this old wright up and thought it would be good to post it for the record.

I used concept of lowering CP with acceleration on one of my CIS turbos and it worked well and seemed to increase throtle response.

Sonny's C2 Turbo - Rice's Performance Acceleration and Boost Control

Quote:
Rice's Performance Acceleration and Boost Controller

Leslie F. Rice's Performance Porsches has developed a vastly improve fuel enrichment system that not only improves the quantity of the fuel injected into all six cylinders, but the up-graded control pressure regulator increases fuel flow as quickly as the accelerator pedal is pushed down.

The 1975-77 3.0 Turbo system enriched fuel during acceleration, but not on boost!

The 1978-94 3.3 & 3.6 Turbos enriched fuel only above a boost pressure of .5 bar!

Add-on enrichment systems use a single fuel nozzle to spray a stream into the throttle area with an uneven distribution going to each cylinder. There is a good electronic system that enriches the fuel volume, but this system only enriches the fuel mixture after boost pressure has already built up.

The Porsche Turbo engine needed a much greater volume of fuel instantly, to increase throttle response and deliver more power, and that is why I developed the Rice's Performance Acceleration and Boost Controller (RPA&BECPR)

The basic operation functions for starting, cold to warm up, cruise, deceleration, and emission control are exactly the same as the original unit.

Installation is the same as the original Control Pressure Regulator, with the addtion of a small fuel pressure damper, clamp, vacuum hose, "T' fitting, and an additional fuel hose to the new RPA&BECPR.

The principal of the original control pressure regulator is to maintain "warm control pressure" after the warm up cycle is completed. Only as boost pressure builds to 0.5 bars and above does additional fuel flow in the engine, about a 15-16% increase. The R.P.A.&B maintains warm control pressure by manifold vacuum and as the throttle is opended and manifold pressure drops (vacuum decrease) the fuel flow is immediately increased. This increase in fuel flow at first application of throttle instantly injects more fuel, (nearly 30% more) into the combustion chamber for more power. A hotter and greater volume of combustion gas forces the turbine to spin sooner and faster, thus the turbo response is quicker and comes on with a most noticeable "kick in the seat of the pants."

During driving tests using a Split second light emitting diode air/fuel ratio monitor sensed by an O2 sensor located at the inlet to the turbo, I observed that while cruising, an A/FR (air/fuel ratio) of 14:1 to 14.7:1 was maintained (yellow LED'S). With slight acceleration the A/FR jumped to 13.2:1 (1st blue LED). During full throttle, off the line from idle, the LED instantly jumped into the 2nd blue with a 12.5:1 A/FR and stayed there up to 1.0 bar+ @6500rpm.

Compare to the stock warm up regulator, that would get into the 12.5:1 ration for an instant, then the led would slowly drop down to the green-yellow LED's, 14.2:1 to 14.6:1 A/FR. This was with a relative rich C.O. setting that had the engine idling so rich it would almost stall when accelerating the engine from idle to high rpm and back to idle. Porsche service technician like to "fatten-up" the A/FR by setting the C.O. to 3% or higher. This has been the normal practice to allow enough fuel to give the Turbo decent response during acceleration.

Now you can set the A/FR to factory emission specifications and know you will have more than enough fuel for maximum throttle response, torque, and power at maximum boost.

When the Turbo Porsche is modified most builders forget fuel enrichment! It is thought that with improving the airflow throughout the engine that more fuel will automatically flow with the increased air volume. It does not. This is why Turbo pistons, cylinders, and heads start to melt when a stock engine increases boost pressure, beyond 1.0 bar boost. Even stock 911 Turbos notice a dramatic increase in power and throttle response with Rice's Peformance Acceleration and Boost Controller. ...
Old 05-19-2010, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
beancounter

More info s'il vous plait...perhaps not completely on topic, but bear with me please.

A couple guys on this board are using andial fueler type plumbing with rpm/MAP based control of the frequency valve to achieve what I will call "poor man's efi"

I've read threads where you have discussed how you did this with your 964t.

I think that I can roll my own version of this "poor man's efi" on my set up. My Electromotive XDI-2 ignition module has configurable general purpose outputs, including a rpm/MAP based duty cycle table which I think I can use to drive a frequency valve/injector.

Question is, where can I source the plumbing hardware and what do I use for a frequency valve?
Old 05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not sure. I would call Andial and see if they can help you with the fittings or all the plumbing. That is where I got mine some time back.

Might want to Google Bosch Frequency valve. Not sure about how you might find the double Banjo fittings to plumb around the WUR.

Another way would be to build a block that you could mount an injector in and fit your tubing to.

You could also use your extra channel to run an AEM boost solenoid so you could program your boost by rpm if you wanted and even tapper it as you approach the limit of your fueling system.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: