Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to the_webbster
'New' 930 - no heat!

Hi y'all.
just picked up my '79 930 from the port here in Norway yesterday and drove it home. it had a compelte engine rebuild before it left the us and among some other small nigglers I don't manage to get any heat into the cockpit.

anyone have any suggestions on where to look first? I'm thinking flapper boxes and the cable attaching them to the center heat control? that 1-9 dial turns pretty freely, should it have any resistance like as if it was hooked up to a cable? pulling the 'emergency heat lever' didn't do anything either.

help?

Eisblau 1979 930

Silver '08 Honda Ridgeline
Old 05-21-2010, 01:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Greetings! It's funny - I feel like I know you 8-).

That HAS to be my buddy Ron's car from here in CT, I recall him saying it sold weeks ago to a chap in Norway...

...and...

...I broke the heat in his car 8-).

I am so sorry - I was detailing it for him last summer and having an '87 I was unfamiliar with how to actuate that center lever. I ham fisted it and it flopped to the floor as you feel it now.

I suck (but that's a given)

So I'd start there - any folks who can point out what I f'd up pls chime in 8-). Here's shots of your car in my garage last summer next to mine - heh heh:

Enjoy the car! That was a heck of a deal, I was surprised at the lack of interest in it here when I'd mentioned it last fall. Great it found what sounds to be a fitting new home! That thing frickin HAMMERS, and sounds soooooooo good doing so. Needs some TLC to the paint and a few nits sorted mech'ly, but that car was a good buy IMO.

Enjoy it in good health and spirit!

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-21-2010, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If it is the center 1-9 dial, then there are a few things that it can be. There is a switch if you will that sits under the control knob, and if this is broken it is hard for the control to engage the heat... check that first. Mine was broken in my car, and I had to find a whole new unit to get it to work... Good luck!
Past: 1988 Venetian Blue 911 Targa, 1983 Black 930, 1984 Black 911 Coupe
Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasuskyp View Post
That HAS to be my buddy Ron's car from here in CT, I recall him saying it sold weeks ago to a chap in Norway...

...and...

...I broke the heat in his car 8-).

I am so sorry - I was detailing it for him last summer and having an '87 I was unfamiliar with how to actuate that center lever. I ham fisted it and it flopped to the floor as you feel it now.

I suck (but that's a given)
Unless the car has miraculously been painted blue its not the same car. So fortunately your ham fists have not been in my car

but that seems to be a good place to start. we'll pull the center heat console and see what up with that.

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 05-21-2010, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
lol d'oh!

ya know, I read your sig "eisblau" and figured maybe you had another 8-)

What are the odds tho - 2 new 930 owners in Norway w/in weeks, neither with heat. Maybe the owner of the red car will read this and see heh heh.

if you come across a Guard's '79 with DP exhaust, that's the car

regardless, good luck - how about pics of your car? (!!!) heh heh

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-21-2010, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
I think there are 3 or 4 930's that I know of that have come over here in the past half a year. we got oil and our economy is strong. as long as the dollar stays in the tank the p-cars will keep coming this way. when I picked up mine from the docks yesterday there was another 911 on the way out and two more by the freight forwarders office.

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage

this picture was taken Automobile Associates in the US before the car shipped. I haven't got around to taken any new pics yet.

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I'd check for heater boxes on the headers (?!), the heater hoses are connected from the engine shroud and back of heater boxes, the heater control valves and the wire to the manual lever.

Does the fan have a engine mounted blower to assist heating or blowers in the footwells?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

ok the auto matic heat like you have in your car has a lever inside of it. the end of this lever is plastic and breaks frequently. just remove the passenger seat then open the little door in the side of the heater control unit. the little rod in there will most likely have popped off the pin in the control unit. Just order a new end piece they are $1.50. pn 999-168-021-40 I had this break on my carrera and went to the local porsche parts place and they said yeah we always keep those in stock, they break all the time. So I bought a couple of them and keep a spare in my tool box.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue

Last edited by Ken911; 05-21-2010 at 09:38 AM..
Old 05-21-2010, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Check all the fuses in front and back by the engine.

The autoheat box and the footwell blowers ~might~ use the middle fuse in back on some cars because the Carrera and SC's had a heater fan motor back there instead of footwell blowers so it was already wired into the harness before the 930's came out with the footwell blower fans.

The autoheat box turns the fans on when the servo motor pulls the cables and closes the diverter valves all the way so the hot air is diverted to the interior instead of into the wheel well.

If the autoheat servo motor that pulls the cables going to the diverter valves to close them when you want heat is working, arm connection to the cable broken or not, you can hear them when you turn on the heat. The motor runs slowly and takes about 5 seconds or so to move the arm through it's sweep.

If my autoheat box takes a dump, and the previous owner replaced it twice.. I'll just backdate it and the emergency brake handle to manual levers...
I prefer the old levers anyway.

Here's a wiring diagram for the footwell blowers that may help.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I've got mine rigged to manually work with the lever control. Mine did have Auto Heat when I got the car 25 years ago. It worked sporadically. I converted it to manual many many moons ago. It will keep you semi warm unless it is lower than 20F then you better just have some good warm shoes and hope it isn't sleeting. I never have to drive in those conditions so I really don't worry about it.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Ex-pat Cannuck

Garage
Hi Guys.
thanks for all the great input. the heat exchangers are working fine, when I pull the 'emergency heat lever' (what kind of emergency were they thinking about?) then I get heat in both the wheel wells and dash.

so back to the automatic heat box thingy. I'm going to start by having a look in there and see if anythings broken.

how does one 'convert back to manual'? that sounds like a good way to go.

Eisblau 1979 930

Old 05-21-2010, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

You backdate your auto heat and handbrake to an earlier one that has the manual controls for the heater boxes. With you having an "emergency" lver, I wouldn't bother, unless the looks of the non-functioning autoheat bother you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_webbster View Post

how does one 'convert back to manual'? that sounds like a good way to go.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: