Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

is 90 octane okay??

Im running a 84 euro spec 930 with a gt35r. I'm trying to run boost with a manual controller around .6 - .7 bar but it does go up to .9 a 1bar. Here where I live we are only able to get 90 octane, but our elevation is around 3500-4000 ft. Is running that 90 octane okay even with the car going up to .9 or 1 bar??
Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Location: Reno NV, Bay Area during most weeks,, Kids still in NH
Send a message via AIM to 9dreizig
How are you running .6-.7 bar ? Stock spring is .8. that's the determining factor with a controller NOT what it is trying to control. I run 91 (as does most of CA) all the time, so I wouldn't worry about it.. Keep it around .8 you should be ok.
91 Spec Miata (yeah I race a chick car)
"life"ll kill ya" Warren Zevon
Old 05-21-2010, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't. You proabably have some nice goodies in car $$$$.
I would mix it with race gas. INMOP.

Sorry to hear you have only 90octane.

Walt
Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

+1 what Todd said.

The stock WG is at about .8 bar. You can not use a boost controller to go any lower than the base setting of the WG.

Also, your turbo might be one of the more new school small turbine, large compressor wheel style and they are a bit more prone to over-boosting. If your WG is .8 bar and you are getting .9 bar because of over boost that is not a big deal.

I have to ask, how do you like your turbo?

Also, what muffler/headers and where dose it first boost and hit.9 bar boost?

Not sure about the gas.

I assume it is cool most of the time there. If you have a bigger intercooler that would be a plus. Also, most 930's run 1 bar with out issue which is like running 11/0 CR. If you can keep it to .8 bar that is like running 10.2 compression. I would work toward keeping boost at .8 bar. Maybe a .6 bar Tial WG and a good programmable EBC. Set the AFR's a little fat and confirm they are good on boost.

I am more interested in what your timing is on boost. Euro distributors do not seem to have boost retard. US distributors when set at -26 they retard to about -18 on boost. If you are setting your euro dist to a US spec of -26 (instead of euro -29) you are probably holding -26 on boost.

If you really want to be sure, see if there is a good dyno tuner up there that has a knock sensor so he can listen to your motor on a dyno.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I was trying to run .6 - .7... thats probably why I havent been able to keep it there because of the .8 spring. I dont know to much about the car as I havent been able to go over it much so far. Just got back from iraq and picked it up to FL then drove it to NM.. It has B&B headers and zork tube. Not to sure when the .9 - 1 bar boost kicks in but i'll estimate around 4500-5000 rpm.. Im pretty sure it has an external wastegate is there a way I can put a lower spring in there or anything I can do to it to lower the boost??

The car used to be Tarheelturbo 's car.. theres a little more info about it on here

feeler 30k mile 84' 930

thanks for the help guys... i dont want to blow anything up... firefighting does not pay enough to rebuild the motor just yet... lol..
Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

If you were in Iraq, thanks for serving!

That's a beautiul car and congrats!

I would try to get as much octane as possible (minimum of 93), but that's just me.

Can you ask Tarheel if it had a spring change? It's easy enough to do if not, especially with an aftermarket wastegate (Tial).

Last edited by A930Rocket; 05-21-2010 at 12:41 PM..
Old 05-21-2010, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Love that car! Well bought.

Has an efficent build that should help.

Me, I would fit an MSD w boost retard. Set timing to euro and use the retard to pull if back to About 17 deg on boost. That and keep boost to .8.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You guys might not believe this but the highest octane i found was 91 at Wal-Mart. I didnt see any stickers on any of the fuel pumps saying how much ethanol was mixed in it. Unlike the shell and chevrons they have only 90 octane and a sticker saying that the fuel contains up to 10 percent ethanol. What do you guys think??? Should I get this 91 octane from wal mart then put in a bottle of injector cleaner every fill up or so, or should i stick with chevron or shell at 90 octane??

late note... the only other fuel pump i found without the ethanol mix sticker was in Florida at a Citgo. they served up straight gasoline.. no ethanol mixed in... is wal mart selling straight fuel?? i'd rather have valves with carbon on it than detonate with 90 octane. lol..

Last edited by AFD660; 05-25-2010 at 07:35 PM..
Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If you don't have a cat on it you can mix AV gas in it. I'm at 7K ft. here in Taos,it's hard to find gas without ethanol. Glad you made it back OK, I couldn't reply back before my computer was sick.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Low Speed, High Drag

Garage
Are you there permanently or for FLETC?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Try Walmart/Autozone/pep boys etc...STP-silver bottle/octane booster..It has jet fuel in it..States it on the bottle.
It werks.
Walt
Old 05-26-2010, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: