Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
89 930.

Garage
Help me find the DME relay...

It is not under the drivers seat.?
Where the heck?

1989 930

Last edited by Benny771; 05-21-2010 at 12:53 PM..
Old 05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Why do you need it? Mine's been disconnected and on the shelf for years.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Why do you need it? Mine's been disconnected and on the shelf for years.
Car just died!!!! Plz help.

Because of this: I searched all day, and this is what i have found to be the possible evil.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

If the pumps are running, then it sounds like ignition. Do you have the stock CDI box? Can you hear it "whine" when the key is turned on? Are you getting spark out of the coil? Out of the plugs? If not, then I'd get the CDI to work first, then check your wires from the dizzy to the CDI. Also, check you relays near the CDI. One is a delayed shut down relay. If that's bad, the car will not run. You can probably jump it to test it.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
89 930.

Garage
I will fill you in as i go but any help would be appreciated.

i can still hear the fuel pumps humming away.

no spark at the wire or from the coil?...........

Tested the coil + and - . Zero voltage while cranking.

CDI box "whine" is present.... (thats if it should sound like a noise only a dog should hear)
Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

there is no DME relay on a 930

in your picture the one on the left is the speed relay and it is the factory rev limiter.
...it can be a mysterious fuel pump no run problem so make sure the pins that go in the plug are clean. it may also have ignition cut control in it. there are alot of wires going into it and i havn't traced them all.

the middle one has a different plug than an '87 and that one is the full throttle enrichment relay. it works the pulse valve frequency to richen the fuel mixture.

the big one is the K-jetronic or CIS lambda box. it computes what the oxygen sensor sees in the exhaust and controls the pulse valve and possibly the 2 emission system vacuum solenoids for lower emissions.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

89 930.

Garage
Thank-you for letting me know there is no DME relay on a 930. I still dont know why the Porsche dealer and Pelican have one listed for my car?
Tried a generic coil today and it didnt work
Coil in the Distributor maybe? I dont know how to test this......
Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
I own an 81 911 with CIS. In 15 years of ownership I have only encountered your type of problem when I had Permatune boxes on the car rather than the Bosche CD box. I bought the car with a Permatune box so never had a CD box. I am not certain if the Bosche CD Box will just fail for the hell of it like the Permatune box did.

I talked to Paul Weir six years ago and he said "Buy yourself some insurance with the MSD 6AL box." I put one on, mounted it under the driver's seat and have never had the same problem again. I see NASCAR race cars having twin MSD boxes on their dash boards so an extra two or three feet of wire ain't gonna slow you down. That's a separate discussion though.

I would replace the relays others have mentioned. I would disconnect the battery and test all the fuses in the front trunk for continuity using a multi-meter. Check the big wire harness connector in the rear of your engine compartment on the driver's side. With age a male pin can be pushed back out of the harness and drop a connection. The distributor "green wire" and related connections are critical. Permatune's site has a lot of good info on troubleshooting these connections. You will need a multi-meter and some patience. It is not rocket science so a person with average DIY intelligence can follow the logic given time for a learning curve and the proper instructions.

For less than $400 and AT LEAST one weekend of tedious, anal retentive wiring and installation the MSD box will fix your problem if all else fails (Do not be fooled by the 4 hour or so installation claims) I like the under the drivers seat mounting as you can then secure the main box ground to the transmission ground - but I am biased as this is how I did it. There is not a lot of space to throw around in the 930 engine bay so this may relieve some congestion. You can then mount your coil to where the old CD box was. You may have to get a tachometer "thingie" that helps with something or other to make your tach work correctly, All are available from our gracious hosts. Search on "MSD 6AL"

Best of luck. I will betcha it is the CD box or something real real simple.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: