Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New 930 owner lots of?

Hi i just recently purchased a 1987 930 that has been modified.
The car is now a 3.4l with Andial inter-cooler and jugs
B&B exhaust a g50/50 tran
Some kind of Power hause spacers?
Rsr suspenison
Have all the receipts the previous owner told me that the old turbo was some kind of hybrid and keep on blown up so they have now installed a Garrett ball bearing turbo? Is this good or bad?
Did not get a ppi because it was a great deal
does not smoke just a little on start up
the car is crazy fast, it also has Simmons wheels?
Can anyone tell me what i bought lol
Pics to come..

Old 05-22-2010, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Oh my, oh my and oh my.

It sounds like you`ve been taken for a ride here. Let me take that 3.8rs (?) wing and rear left banana off your hands as a favor. You could owe me
Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Cool car.

Simmons wheels were made in Australia and seemed to be pretty well respected in motor sports circles. They ceased production last year when the owner retired. I think yours are the OM style.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Looks and sounds like you got a nice fast sorted out car, congratulations and enjoy it.

The Garret ball bearing turbo is wayyyy good.
The G50/50 transaxle is another good improvemnet.

If it still has CIS injection, the powerhaus spacers may be aluminum injector blocks with larger bores than stock and thats a good thing. If so, the intake manifold and intake ports would be enlarged, matched, and ported too.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Oh my......that's a beauty! I would bet there are lots of goodies you've yet to discover. Note the triagular strut bar brace up front, as an example. This thing was made to handle, no doubt, and to haul ass!
Congrats! Enjoy, but take the time to understand her whims first (but if you're already familiar with the 930, then just put your foot into it and hang on).
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

No i know nothing about the 930s
How much oil does it take is it the same as changing oil in a 3.2l
What service do i have to do for the turbo
Any help will be great
Old 05-22-2010, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Same as changing oil in a 3.2. Sometimes there's a drain plug on the bottom of the turbo sump tank.
No extra service for the turbo other keep clean air filters and don't shut it down after driving hard, let it idle for a few minutes to let oil and air cool the turbo. It will last a long time that way.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

awesome car you have there... we're in the same boat.. im learing about the 930 also.. lol..
Old 05-22-2010, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Oil change is pretty straighforward. Mine usually takes close to 11 quarts with new filter, give or take. Just keep the level between the two marks on the dip stick, no higher than the top mark or you'll suck oil into the air box and create a nasty smoke cloud.

Turbo (as in turbocharger) service? There's no preventative or routine maintenance you can to to it, other than allowing for several minutes of cool down after running hard on extended boost. Usually, just a few minutes at a slow speed crawl through the neighborhood is sufficient, but a real hot turbo will cause the oil to coke (burn) onto the shaft and seals, shortening the life of the turbo. Just let the oil circulate and cool a bit before shutting her down. Not a concern if you just went down to the local market for a quart of milk.

Treat your 930 as you would a 911. After all, that's what you've got...a low compression 911 that turns into a monster on boost. Change the oil more often than you would a normally aspirated car, adjust the valves every so often, confirm that your AF ratio is correct especially on boost, service airfilter and sparkplugs as needed....just stuff like that.

The fun part is understanding how all the little gizzmos work in concert with eachother. If you're not familiar with CIS K-Jetronic injection (if yours hasn't been swapped out for EFI) - and if you intent to do all your own tuning and work - there are a couple must-haves as far as reading materials. Or, just post your questions here and you'll get great responses.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Nice car! Looks like a race car in street clothes.

I notice rear coil-over springs in the back. This is in addition to the torsion bars?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Beautiful black vixen, with aftermarket front & rear bumper/valances, 3.4L, big intercooler, headers with heat, Garret turbo, coil over rear suspension, front strut brace, big stereo amp.........and the list surely goes on and on......lions & tigers & bears oh my!
Did notice the factory rear sway bar, are the rear mounts factory too? A nice set of WEVO rear sway bar mounts will come in real handy if you start to push the car at all.
More pictures please!!
Mark
Old 05-22-2010, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

pics

Old 05-23-2010, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: